Helitac

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

Helitac

Post by Jem »

Does anyone have the frequencies for Helitacs
Jem
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden
Bearcat UBC9000XLT (Base)
Bearcat UBC72XLT (Handheld)
Bearcat UBC760XLT (Mobile)

More Helitacs

Post by Jem »

Sorry pressed the wrong button.
I am receiving transmition via Channel 67 from air recon.
Does anyone know what "air recon" is and who they operate under.
I am also after frequencies for the helitacs because I am listening to the fire at Gnangara Pines and I thought the Helitacs were called out at the first sign of a fire but I have not heard them.

Thanks
Steve
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Steve »

The air reconnaisance helicopter is set up to look at a fire from high overhead and give the commanders on the ground an idea of where a fire's headed and where resources are needed, communicating simplex directly to the controller. It's not set up to actually 'bomb' fires. I don't know about this year but last year the 'air rec' helicopter was a Bell Jet Ranger while the helitacs were Squirrels.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: More Helitacs

Post by vk6hgr »

Jem wrote:Sorry pressed the wrong button.
I am receiving transmition via Channel 67 from air recon.
Does anyone know what "air recon" is and who they operate under.
I am also after frequencies for the helitacs because I am listening to the fire at Gnangara Pines and I thought the Helitacs were called out at the first sign of a fire but I have not heard them.
The helitacs use various channels depending on where they are operating. At Gnangara today they were operating on the CALM channel 16 repeater and on simplex.

They mainly sit on channel 23 either direct to ground on simplex or via their repeater.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

They would've only been using ch 16 because 23 was in use at a fire in Yanchep National Park.

Not sure what you mean by chan 67 - perhaps you have an old frequency list ? Chan 67 is a CALM channel which shares frequency with CALM channel 17.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Generally hellitacs on 78.3250 and air rec on 77.2000

Also, the helitacs are now colour coded, they are all completly white but each have a different colour on the tail section

668 has a blue tail
669 has a red tail *
670 has a yellow tail *
671 has a green tail

Correct me if im wrong with 669 and 670, but 668 and 671 are correct.

This is different from last year cause one of em (670 i think) was completely blue. I thimk thats cause they were privately own then.
brad_88

Post by brad_88 »

hey im not sure about the frequencies of them but yeah u got the right helis. the other day there was a fire along warnbro sound ave, and all 4 of them were fightin the fire. it was mad as id say 60 to 80 cars parked along side the road just to watch them suckin up water and dumpin it.
cheers for thos frequencies JG
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yeah i was listenin to it. They mentioned about the spectators and used em as a guide. They are correct frequencies.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

JG-103 wrote:Also, the helitacs are now colour coded, they are all completly white but each have a different colour on the tail section

668 has a blue tail
669 has a red tail *
670 has a yellow tail *
671 has a green tail

Correct me if im wrong with 669 and 670, but 668 and 671 are correct.

This is different from last year cause one of em (670 i think) was completely blue. I thimk thats cause they were privately own then.
Looking at the photo in the FESA 24seven magazine, you got the colours right.. the helicopters are actually still privately owned by Helicopters Australia - they're just contracted by the Govt for the fire season.

A couple of them were actually in Queensland on contract for fires up there prior to coming to Perth. They had one on a trial the year before.