Not WA BUT,

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

jasonjag
Banned

Not WA BUT,

Post by jasonjag »

Call to pay SES volunteers in Queensland

Disaster-weary ... SES volunteers in Queensland want to be paid for their assistance during storms and cyclones.

SES volunteers want to be paid
Struggling to take time off work
Mum's sorrow for daughter swept away
DISASTER-weary State Emergency Service volunteers want to be paid to keep them turning out to storms and floods as the financial crisis bites deeper.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24 ... rrer=email

So They should be paid in this case....
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Re: Not WA BUT,

Post by Tyranus »

Hmmm, I disagree with the state government paying SES members directly as that kind of defeats the purpose of volunteering. However when personnell are away from work with the reserves workplaces receive a payment from the ADF. Something similar to this could be instigated for major operations. If you release your employee for operations longer than 3 days then we will cover 60% of the wages. This would then be payed to the company and assist the company in paying the employee's wages. While it isn't perfect for the company it's better than forcing employee's to take annual leave which they would then have to pay 100% of the wages rather than 40%. If the wages go direct to the volunteer then there is the possiblity of them claiming those wages plus wages from work if work is accomodating to volunteers.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Re: Not WA BUT,

Post by Infernal »

Work always paid me for call outs that happened b4 over time kicked in, as a sign of support to the community, they also raised money for the Ambulance through our Harvester school days, where farmers come in and we teach them how to clean their machine before we come out to service it (which they never do), or little things that can be fixed on farm, with out calling us out at a cool $90 a hour :P