South West Bush Fire (Yarloop)

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

should people learn how to put fires out to help fire brigades (Like a call up system(Dury Duty)

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:27 pm

Yes
27%
No
73%

Total votes: 11

sn_quinlivan

South West Bush Fire (Yarloop)

Post by sn_quinlivan »

Does any one know what code i should use to here the best info on what is going on up there ( I mean down there (Yarloop )) :?:
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Well, I don't think it's neccesarily for everyone, but it does give them a better chance of saving their homes, and if they decide to stay then also gives them the training to better know what to do.

As soon as there's a fire up this way we're inundated with people saying "what do we do?!"
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yes only if its so as they can protect their own homes and thats all. I agree with meg's point
sn_quinlivan

Post by sn_quinlivan »

Fire is out at yarloop area
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

I quite like the current system of "prepare to stay and fight or prepare to run away" :)

The people who are willing and able to fight the fire will stay put, the ones who can't or won't will go somewhere safe and get out of everyone's hair ... at least that's how it should work in theory!

My impression of small country towns is that a fair number of people will be in the volunteer fire brigade. Thinking about it for a second, it's in their own interests to do so as they'll be working to save their own properties in the event of a fire...
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Zebedee wrote:My impression of small country towns is that a fair number of people will be in the volunteer fire brigade.
That's been the case in the past, but it doesn't seem to be so any longer. Talking to a mate in one of the (admittedly small) wheatbelt brigades when we were both at a fire recently - their entire brigade was there. All 4 members. :shock:

Those small country towns are becoming increasingly filled with hobby farmers and tree changers, there are less and less "real" farmers out there. The tree changers often don't seem to be enthusiastic about getting involved in their local volunteer brigades - hopefully that will change.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:
Zebedee wrote:My impression of small country towns is that a fair number of people will be in the volunteer fire brigade.
That's been the case in the past, but it doesn't seem to be so any longer. Talking to a mate in one of the (admittedly small) wheatbelt brigades when we were both at a fire recently - their entire brigade was there. All 4 members. :shock:

Those small country towns are becoming increasingly filled with hobby farmers and tree changers, there are less and less "real" farmers out there. The tree changers often don't seem to be enthusiastic about getting involved in their local volunteer brigades - hopefully that will change.
That's unfortunate to hear - I'd always imagined country towns would have a lot more members. Like you said, maybe that was true years ago, but no longer ...

It is very dark.
meg

Post by meg »

Zebedee wrote:That's unfortunate to hear - I'd always imagined country towns would have a lot more members. Like you said, maybe that was true years ago, but no longer ...
Further out it's probably still true, but alot of the closer wheatbelt towns (Toodyay/Northam/York and the small towns around them) are really changing demographic. Recently Toodyay was the fastest growing shire in the state with alot of professionals moving into subdivided farm lots, and commuting into work in Perth every day. Moving from the city I think it takes a while for people to drop the mentality that "the govt (specifically FESA in this case) will look after us" and think more about the community helping itself.

But I digress from the main topic of this post :)
meg

Post by meg »

Back on topic - those who voted "no", I'm interested to hear your reasons. As I said in my first post to this thread, it's not for everyone, but wouldn't it be better in terms of properties saved and limited firefighting resources (including firies) if more people were trained to at least save their own places? Or if they're going to go the "stay and fight" route, to have some training in how to go about it?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

meg wrote:Back on topic - those who voted "no", I'm interested to hear your reasons.
I voted "No" because I agree with half of the poll question :)

I agree with what you said, that if people are going to "stay and fight" then it would be fantastic if they could get some basic training on the things to do ... and the things not to do.

What I disagree with though is the "Jury Duty" concept, where people are on some kind of roster to fight fires. Not everybody has the physical fitness or the will to jump in front of a bushfire.

This might be a fantasy-land solution but I think working out ways of attracting people to the bushfire brigades would be better than some kind of compulsory roster. At least that way the brigade is staffed by people who are keen, rather than people who are there just because they are told that they must.

As for the Toodyay commuter type people that you mentioned in your previous post, I totally agree that having a section of the community who think that it's always somebody else's problem isn't going to help that town...

It is very dark.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Zebedee wrote: Not everybody has the physical fitness or the will to jump in front of a bushfire.
I agree. Many people when confronted with a roaring scrub fire and howling winds would panic.

If we did have a "jury duty" system, who would pay for the training, clothing and equipment required to fight fires? Some areas around the state have antiquated equipment and many volunteers still go without the necessary clothing to fight fires.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meg

Post by meg »

Zebedee wrote:What I disagree with though is the "Jury Duty" concept, where people are on some kind of roster to fight fires. Not everybody has the physical fitness or the will to jump in front of a bushfire.
Yeah, I didn't really go for that bit of the poll much either, but to give people the opportunity (rather than insisting that they do) to learn more about how to be safe in such a situation I think is a fantastic idea.

And I have no idea who would pay for it, so I guess I'm in my own fantasyland too :)
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

In part, this is what the Bush Fire Ready Action Group program is all about.. theres some info on the FESA site somewhere. Members of the local brigades become 'facilitators' to the groups, which are run by residents through a street co-ordinator. I know Darlington and Bedfordale have quite big programs running..
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Fastlane wrote:In part, this is what the Bush Fire Ready Action Group program is all about.. theres some info on the FESA site somewhere. Members of the local brigades become 'facilitators' to the groups, which are run by residents through a street co-ordinator. I know Darlington and Bedfordale have quite big programs running..
Click here for info on B.R.A.G.s.

NSW Fire Brigades have Community Fire Units which, if you haven't seen, are worth a look. I can see that the concept has merit.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

Both of those links have some good information. You're right, the NSW one does look quite good! :)

It is very dark.