New VHF channels

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

yorky

Re: New VHF channels

Post by yorky »

Just my findings this morning, CH 180 Dumas House still isn't active yet it seems and neither is Scarb's :(

51 on the old system (Claremont I believe) only starts kicking in at road level from about Reid Hwy for us Northerners.

I also made the brainwave of having the common working channels in the scanner with Delay turned *off* on each channel. This way if it hits a channel that is broken it will skip to the next until one is clear [-o<
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

yorky wrote: I also made the brainwave of having the common working channels in the scanner with Delay turned *off* on each channel. This way if it hits a channel that is broken it will skip to the next until one is clear [-o<
Yes, It's the next best thing to having a receiver that supports voting. This is why I (still) use Philips FM92s. As soon as one channel has a signal, it automatically scans the rest of the channels in the group (i.e. 51,53,55,57 etc) and finds the strongest.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Just spotted these posts. I used to travel alot between Claremont and Kingsley area. 51 has always been quite weak, and I used to have a lot of trouble with it, I think it was OK to about Scarbs, then pretty useless. The coast up from there is difficult, as you can't quite get a good signal from Red Hill, though I used to survive on that. Not sure how the new freqs have changed this. I seem to recall a comms tech telling me it had something to do with all the limestone in the area?? Very vague memory. Handheld scanner even connected to a vehicle mounted whip was very ordinary up that way, as with alot of Perth. I managed to get a good old VHF radio programmed to receive that did a very good job.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Yep up this way along the cost Redhill 163.250 is pretty useless until you head east then its clear.

The best I can get down the coast and north is Canning Mills 164.000 or the old 78.100 or Wannaroo 70.075 once north past ~Reid Hwy then further up its crystal clear.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Yeah radio waves don't travel through limestone very well but thats through it, over the top should be fine.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
radioman061
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT8,Uniden UBC126AT,Whistler TRX-1,Whistler TRX-2,AOR AR-DV1.Plus Motorola, Kenwood, Tait, Vertex, Icom, Simoco,Philips.

Post by radioman061 »

linked active vhf hi freq's

164.000MHz canning mills ch141
164.275MHz hackets gully ch207
164.3375MHz jarradale ch220
163.250MHz red hill ch306
164.8875MHz seabird ch317
164.3125MHz huntley ch217
radioman061
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT8,Uniden UBC126AT,Whistler TRX-1,Whistler TRX-2,AOR AR-DV1.Plus Motorola, Kenwood, Tait, Vertex, Icom, Simoco,Philips.

Post by radioman061 »

hi i was looking on the acma web site and found 2 vhf hi FESA freq's that are not in the WAERN channel pdf

the freq's are 163.675MHz & 164.6125MHz at the canning mills site.
any ideas?.
yorky

Post by yorky »

Not sure on those Canning Mills ones but what I did just find interesting is that the Scarborough 163.325 is actually on ACMA under FESA SES (as well as 163.05 Dumas House).
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

Those repeaters are used by SES
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Treeny SES repeaters are all UHF, those frequencies are VHF. If anything those may be control links for the respective frequencies depending on how the repeaters are configured.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

radioman061 wrote:hi i was looking on the acma web site and found 2 vhf hi FESA freq's that are not in the WAERN channel pdf

any ideas?.
if they are not 6AR/6IP channels, they could be BFB Repeater Channels for Roleystone, Gossnels. or just channels the City of Armadale, or Gossnels uses. i know that that is where there current channels are based.
----BUDDAH VFRS----
fire&rescuetraining

Post by fire&rescuetraining »

radioman061 wrote:hi i was looking on the acma web site and found 2 vhf hi FESA freq's that are not in the WAERN channel pdf

any ideas?.

Since you have found this, if you look around some more you will notice there are 16 or so channels not listed in the WAERN list on this site that are located around the state. The locations may lead to possible questions or thoughts.... (and no, I am not getting into a discussion on this)

How much of the plan is public knowledge I am not sure, those of you in brigades, try asking through correct channels or the association for the WAERN presentation which gives a good overview of the current and future plan.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

fire&rescuetraining wrote: Since you have found this, if you look around some more you will notice there are 16 or so channels not listed in the WAERN list on this site that are located around the state.
Cataloguing these extra channels sounds like work for someone with some free time and an all-seasons pass to the ACMA database :)

I'm puzzled why WAERN channels seem to be so secret, though...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Bonez

Post by Bonez »

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it is linked in the FESA one stop shop thread.. ;)

What would be the best WAERN frequency for a handheld scanner in the CBD?
I have found 78.050 which is Claremont but I would prefer one of the WAERN VHF-HI channels instead of the midband...

The one on top of Dumas house in West Perth appears to be licensed in the ACMA database but it is not active. I monitored it for a few days and heard nothing.

Thanks
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

163.250 seems to be a popular WAERN frequency choice for monitoring FESA (6AR/6IP), although it seems to be inactive at the moment for some reason. Another suggestion has been 164.000.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!