Critiera to become a volunteer?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

perthskies

Critiera to become a volunteer?

Post by perthskies »

I'm thinking of becoming a FESA volunteer.

I am worried though I may not be physically fit enough for the duties. What sort of criteria are they looking for?

And also, I noticed there are various brigades that you can volunteer for. Are there any major differences between them all?
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

The main criteria to being a FESA volunteer is enthusiasm :) There are a range of duties that need doing in any given brigade, and so long as you are "able", I'm sure there would be stuff you can do.

There are also a few communications brigades which don't involve so much physical activity, you perform radio operations duties.

I think all (?) of the volunteer brigades attend "bushfires", some also attend structural (building) fires, and a few also do hazmat and traffic accidents. Normally at least in our area, you join the brigade in the town in which you live - that way you can get to the station quickly.

Whereabouts are you located perthskies?
perthskies

Post by perthskies »

Ah sounds good! I will have to give that 1800 number a call this week then!
meg wrote: Whereabouts are you located perthskies?
I live down south in Rockingham. So the closest station would be the Rockingham one on Dixon Road.
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

perthskies wrote:Ah sounds good! I will have to give that 1800 number a call this week then!
Do - the fire season has already started judging by today's activities and you will need to do the training before you're able to attend a fire. You might be able to get on one before the season really hits.

Good luck!
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

perthskies wrote:I live down south in Rockingham. So the closest station would be the Rockingham one on Dixon Road.
Rockingham VFRS. One of the crew here is a Member.

For information about them check out http://frsvols.asn.au/wp/?page_id=95
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Hey Perthskies,

There's a number of brigades available to join in Rockingham.

Rockingham 2 VFRS are a brigade who attend the same type of calls at the Perms do; Structure calls, Scrubbies, Car Fires, DBA and MVA's ect.

Baldivis Bushfire Brigade is in .. Baldivis :lol: on Eighty Rd. There are two sections to the brigade, Firefighting. Attending Scrub fires, Car Fires, ect & assisting at Structure calls and other incidents where our services are requested.

The other half, is the Incident Support Group - Responsible for manning the ICV (Incident Control Vehicle). This crew, though trained, Does not partake in fire suppression and is more "paper pushing". You would be involved in Logging Comms, Liasion with 'The Bosses', Logging All radio traffic and Important times & Dates for the I/C or O/O.

Further south is another VFRS station - Secret harbour..

And well, No one goes to Singleton hey Jonessy :lol:

If you want contact details for any of the brigade or any further information, PM me mate ..
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Don't forget there are some strong SES units in the area as well
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Nick wrote:Don't forget there are some strong SES units in the area as well
Well I'm glad someone remembered that the SES are a part of FESA!
Not sure in what Rockingham specifically offers but generally a unit is split into 2 parts, rescue and operations. It's up to you to decide whether you're fit enough for a call out. For example you might not feel you're fit enough to go trapsing around town and through the bush searching for someone, but you can assist with removal of debris at a storm damage or Car vs House incident.
Alternatively you may decide the radio or one of the ops team members are the places for you. In this case in a major operation expect pressure as teams will want jobs to keep coming, and they don't want to go to ones that are already completed. However it is very interesting working in both of these areas.
Some units have catering or welfare teams attached.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

Millsy wrote:... And well, No one goes to Singleton hey Jonessy :lol: ....
Nice one again Millsy, I know you will be calling on us again this year to get the job done
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Jonesy wrote:
Millsy wrote:... And well, No one goes to Singleton hey Jonessy :lol: ....
Nice one again Millsy, I know you will be calling on us again this year to get the job done
hahaha :lol:
Blinky
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Blinky »

Tyranus wrote:
Nick wrote:Don't forget there are some strong SES units in the area as well
Well I'm glad someone remembered that the SES are a part of FESA!
Not sure in what Rockingham specifically offers but generally a unit is split into 2 parts, rescue and operations. It's up to you to decide whether you're fit enough for a call out. For example you might not feel you're fit enough to go trapsing around town and through the bush searching for someone, but you can assist with removal of debris at a storm damage or Car vs House incident.
Alternatively you may decide the radio or one of the ops team members are the places for you. In this case in a major operation expect pressure as teams will want jobs to keep coming, and they don't want to go to ones that are already completed. However it is very interesting working in both of these areas.
Some units have catering or welfare teams attached.

Rockingham offers a very well organised, efficient Unit and a great bunch of people. I did 16 years with them. Recommend them to anyone.

They have all that Tyranus mentioned plus Tracker Dogs
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Have worked alongside rockingham/kwinana SES a bit this year, they are a very tidy outfit with a good bunch of people that to a great job.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Blinky wrote:They have all that Tyranus mentioned plus Tracker Dogs
I don't think they do anymore. Changes were made to how the dogs worked in the Metro area which upset a lot of people and if my memory serves me correctly there are no active FESA tracker dogs in the metro area and I don't think there were any in the country either for that matter.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Tyranus wrote:
Blinky wrote:They have all that Tyranus mentioned plus Tracker Dogs
I don't think they do anymore. Changes were made to how the dogs worked in the Metro area which upset a lot of people and if my memory serves me correctly there are no active FESA tracker dogs in the metro area and I don't think there were any in the country either for that matter.
I am almost certain they still do. We had a council open day not too long ago and they were there with us at an emergency services display. And I saw them at FTC training at the end of last month too.... But I could be mistaken
meg

Post by meg »

Looks like they are now open for new dogs to go into service after some changes to the training program

http://www.rtdogs.net/index_files/Page924.htm