Volunteer Training Courses

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Volunteer Training Courses

Post by Jonesy »

Hi All

I know that at the end of each course, members are asked to fill out an evaluation sheet that is supposed to help improve the course..... but there seems to be limited amounts of feedback getting back to brigades re courses.

So, i thought it may be an idea if members on this site who have completed FESA training courses to give us some feedback on what they thought about them and what they were all about.

Yes, I know that if you have access to the volly website on FESA that you can get get access to course guides and so on, but it would be intersting to gain some feedback from likeminded vollies who attend these courses. There are a number of them out there.

Any recommendations???

Cheers All

Jonesy
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

The courses that I have attended so far have all been sub standard to the ones I have attended from over east.

However the Wildland fire behavior and suppression 2.28 2.29 were/have been the best courses I have ever done in my fire fighting career. It is something everyone should do. I highly recommend it. I have also completed one local course, and I am completing another one later this year, so see how that goes.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

I know that some brigades/ shires make it a compusary course for crew leaders. I agree with you, was definately worth doing and very informative. I did it this year aswell and coming off the back of a couple of significant fires last year it re-inforced some of the concepts details, and highlighted some areas for improvement aswell.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

Last edited by SmashedXR6T on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Not really stupid if you actually knew what was going on and the games that FESA are playing
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

Last edited by realfirie on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

SmashedXR6T wrote:Good luck in actually attending any course at the moment with only 1 month left in the training calender cos of this stupid ban that the careers have at the moment!
Thats why I attended a course last weekend, a guy from my brigade has one this weekend and I have another at the end of the month.

Can I ask that this thred not be turned into another slagging session please. This was legitimately set up as an informative for members on this site who may be interested in the specifics of training courses, otherwise admin can just delete it.

Thanks

Jonesy
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

Last edited by realfirie on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

realfirie wrote:jonesy what courses are they? Are they been run by career staff at the training centre or are they internal courses at station?
The one i did not last weekend but the one before, Co-ordinator was acting DM South Coastal, Trainers were CFM Swan and Area Manager Pilbra. The one I am doing at end of the month, Co-ordinator is CFM Swan, one trainer is a DM (not 100% who, cant remember) and the other trainer is a vollie instructor. Both at the training centre.

The one this weekned i believe is at FTC aswell.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

ya shouldn't feed the troll..... :P
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Hey smashed you should do your research before you go flapping your gums, There is a legitimate reason for the ban to be in place which you probally wouldn't understand. But hey if we vollies are that up to scratch with our training like every one on this site keeps stating we should be teaching ourselves and not relying on the careers for it

Hey there realfire<i think the name says it all> i dont have a problem with industrial action and i especialy dont have a problem with the union wat i dont like is when people bag others ABOUT TRAINNING AND SKILLS
i think you of all people should realise that if all the volunteers in W.A were to walk of the job then there is no way the career staff could cope with the work load in the greater metro area let alone the whole state. as for trainnig it is a win win situation if all personnell are trained to the same standard it helps us to work with the career staff and vice versa , stopping career staff from conducting trainning courses goes completly against one of your own unions complaints that there is not enough trainning being conducted by career staff kind of goes against your own complaints by denying volunteers there trainning dont you think
please dont bag the majority of us volies who enjioy working with the PAID staff and from what i can gather most career staff my way feel the same We are not here to take Paid staffs jobs we are here to look after our family and freinds and to enjioy doing it at the same time

Just my opinion and yes i hope you are succesfull with your pay increase that way you could earn the same as us non paid undertrained cousins
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

I'd think that you should go back and read previous posts WA saint. Real firie has stated that he is a volunteer and not with the Union. So in escence you are preaching to the choir and are bagging one of your own.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

Last edited by SmashedXR6T on Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H2WHOOO

Post by H2WHOOO »

Smashed,
There is a reason why these bans are in place and the end result should make it better off for everyone. That is Career and Volunteer firefighters. It may mean that you might miss out on some courses that you have put in for but if the bans were not in then the only way you would be getting trainers is by overtime. These bans should create better working conditions and more positions for everyone.

You are not the only one out there that has had a course cancelled.

All areas of FESA are effected.