Lives at risk.

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Bigfella78

Lives at risk.

Post by Bigfella78 »

Firefighters speaking out at FESA
http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx? ... ntID=88892

Glad I don't live in a black spot....
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

you never know but you just might.
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

Interesting..... Port Kennedy hey....

Can think of many other surrounding areas that doesn't have they coverage that PK does. Yes, addmitted that it would be 10 minutes or so for CFRS to get there from Rocko, but VFRS station 2km away.

So, have we got to the stage now where we have to but career stations everywhere now??? Not having a dig at all you career guys and girls out there, but you can just imagine that if this happened, wouldn't there be complaining about how little number of call each station wouild be attending???
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

gday jonesy,
I know your a bushy so you would hav an understanding of some politics concerning cfrs and volunteers

PK is strange because rockingham has quite good coverage in terms of brigade numbers,ie secret harbour,rocko 1st and 2nd and baldivis and singleton. But in actual fact in callouts and someone from rocko could correct me on this, The perfect example is the PK fire,rocko 1st is the responding brigade,immedatley make it 3rd alarm when turning out so that activates Hope Valley and probably rocko 2nd and secret harbour,but hopevalley is 15-20 minutes away due to distance and all vollys on average would be the same even though they are closer,i think the article is also talking about coverage ie if hope valley is called out to a fire in east rocky with rocko 1st then is made something like 4th alarm ehich has happened ie new years eve 2 years ago,rocko 2nd 3rd baldivis,kwinana vfrs and both kwinana bfbs were off station leaving the next nearest station as success,armadale or mandurah but mandurah wont come up,im pretty sure success was at the fire.now that leaves a massive area exposed until one station or 2 ie freo 2nd or perth 2nd or something come down and cover until that station can be released,i think thats another thing they are talking about.

hope that helps
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

I understand what you are saying chris in regards to the rockingham area and those scenarios but I am still not convinced. Where do we have to draw the line in the sand??? How much is enough??? Do we have too much already??

Yes, as you stated, if we get something big anywhere, alot of resources will be commited. And yes, if we get a another one, resources are steched thin even more. An what if we get a third, or even a fourth?? If we start planing for this, then every street would need a paid station.

I have been involved in an interstate fire service that went through a similar thing to this, yes, we did not have the sheer population as over here but the same sort of issues, ie 20 minute response times for paid staff to incidents. Solution - paid vollies, vollies who put up there hand to make themselves available on a roster system, given same training as career staff, and get paid on a per call out basis. Some people made them selves available for night shifts, meaning that they would just simply sleep on station an if they got a call, they would trun out.

Does this happen here (i dont know so???) and would this be an option, or would this add to the CFRS vs VFRS vs BFS and now paid vollies ploitics issue.

My opinion, feel free to disagree.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Chrissss,

I think you will find that the article is only talking about the placement of the brigaes and how long an initial turnout will be. Wether due to relocation of the brigade or downgrading as the case in perth.

Any area with any service getting two multiple alarm calls will always stretch resources in that and surrounding areas.

Yes Rockingham has a large number of brigades but only 1 would make the area in the time frame that they are mentioning.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I think this is best discussed in the FESA Policies and Politics thread.
jasonjag
Banned

Firefighters angry over lack of training

Post by jasonjag »

Firefighters angry over lack of training
August 30, 2008 05:00pm
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 20,00.html
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

What about the limited training for FRS BFS firefighters in the area. Thie outs their lives more at risk as the union and FESA do not provide comprehensive training to the vols. So bugger the union and their political motivation.
Paid vols good option.. Properly train vols will save lives..
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

WPXZBP wrote:I think this is best discussed in the FESA Policies and Politics thread.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

WPXZBP wrote:
WPXZBP wrote:I think this is best discussed in the FESA Policies and Politics thread.
Suggestion.. move the thread.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Fastlane wrote:
WPXZBP wrote:
Suggestion.. move the thread.
Suggestion noted. I don't think you can to merge two threads together but will ask Admin.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

WPXZBP wrote: Suggestion noted. I don't think you can to merge two threads together but will ask Admin.
Can't be done. :(
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr