Major structure fires (3rd alarm and above) 2008/2009

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

Hi smashed XR6T,
yes Bedford coulave been relocated to another location. I thought Osbourne Park was relocated to Duncraig. Didn't realise it was relocated.
yes Guildford is the poor cousins and virtually never get turned out, I only heard that it was being relocated to Eleenbrook, though Ellenbrook already have a HSR/GPA or something like that.

Hi WPXZBP,
I hear you on Bassandeen mate, though even though it has 1 medium pump, 1 light pump and 2 light tankers, even if bouth paid and vol turned out, it is justified as it is 1 station.. Though if both got turned out to one job it could be counded as 2d alarm. I too get confused with FESA logic..
Bassendeen vols are more interested in the running team and are not very operational.- (I am expecting someone to defensively come back on this one..).

Hi Kylep,
thanks and very kind of you to expain who and what turned out.. I'just disappointed that it is strongly suspected as arson..
Burn the fricking arsonist!!! :twisted:
Smithy813

Post by Smithy813 »

Wasnt it the Balcatta Stn that got moved to Duncraig? Coz Ozzy Park Stn is definatly still in Ozzy Park.
Emergency Service Instructor
Quinns Rock BFF
Leigh
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Leigh »

Balcatta got moved to Duncraig.
Ossie park moved from main st in ossie park to collingwood st in ossie park.
New location is far more central and has better access to the mitchell fwy.
Smithy813

Post by Smithy813 »

cheers for the clarification Leigh :)
Emergency Service Instructor
Quinns Rock BFF
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

Crews who attended are pretty much have been said.

Midland- First initial response
Bassendean
Belmont
Malaga
Welspool 2nd
Thats the amount of pumps that made it 5th alarm

Perth 1st
Daglish 1st

Both are heavy pumps that supplied water to the Fremantle TTL and Perth CLP

Belmont ICV
Osborne Park and Murdoch Sets
DM Central, and DM west coastal
Regional Director Perth North
plus fire investigation and fire safety etc.

Guildford and Bassendean Vols didn't get a gig probably because of the fact that they are vols in ESL 1 area and maybe Midland needed help asap and they thought that they make take too long, though in the end it does come down to the comms centre to turn them out.
Weedmeister

Post by Weedmeister »

Hi Ace of spades,
thanks for the info on that.
The vols should still be getting the call as pop-ups come on the screen at FRS Comcent.
The SOO (shift operations officer) can overide that. Though the SOO should be VERY careful in their justifications.
Last time the SOO was unstuck was a furniture bush fire a few years ago, then a furniture shop fire on Stirling hwy Claremont, and no initial resources for first response.
I personnaly like seening paid people getting flogged and working hard, it's their job, while vols can sleep soundly in bed.. Good vols refuse to relieve in their gazzatted areas..
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

I remember that fire. I think the first truck that arrived was the perth clp who has no water.

Yes the soo does have to be careful but the fire was in permanent FRS area and not in those vols gazzetted area though on the other hand that is why the perms get paid and in the end it is there jobs to do that type of work but yes I think we need to get over the whole vols vs perms and for most part the barriers are being pulled down. Though there are still rumblings over perms going into bush fire brigades area with zone 2 responses and also vols coming to there area but horses for courses and if the fire can be minimised by having alot of resources there early then we all benefit.

Just my opinion, you can take it or leave it
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

The number of stations is irrelevant for alarm escalation, but the number and type of appliances. A response of a 2 pump station with both pumps is pretty much a 2nd alarm. No question there, fact.

It is basically the number of pumps, however alarm escalations by default include various additonal appliances at each level, and for different types - ie, 5th alarm bush and 5th alarm structure is very different.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

ace of spades wrote: Guildford and Bassendean Vols didn't get a gig probably because of the fact that they are vols in ESL 1 area and maybe Midland needed help asap and they thought that they make take too long, though in the end it does come down to the comms centre to turn them out.
Not to sound like i am attacking people, but stone the bloody crows... Midland would have called a 3rd alarm at one stage prior it being upgraded to a 5th alarm so by the time perth 1st, daglish 1st, freo clp recieved the call, comcen could have easily mobilise both guildford and bassendean vfrs and they would both been on scene by the time these units would have arrived. Guildford still retains a gazzetted fire district for peopleds information but both midland and basso are mobilised at the same time pending on what side of the district it is on and always stand them down by the time they are mobile.

Seriously someone in FESA needs to stand up and sort people out and bring everyone on a uniformed line as the barrier between vols v perms still has a strong present especially with the union guys... we are all trained to do the same job, i know mos metro brigades train once a week plus there other duties, so to suggest there training is lacking is a load of rubbish, only difference is that one gets paid and the other does it for the love of there communities... so why drag resources from the other side of the metro area when you have resources already there that can be utilised but people are very cautious in mobilising them all because they have a 'v' in front of frs.

Thats my 2 cents worth, i'm sam kekavich...

Weedmeister just to reply to your somment earlier on... they are currently building a career station in Ellenbrook which won't be completed til the later half of next year and currently have a reponse from West Swan BFS to DBA's in that area
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

The reason daglish and perth came is totally different. They were there for a specific reason and that the vols wouldn't have been able to do it. There vehicles couldn't have supplied the aerials with the amount of water they require.

And I say again. Its ESL 1 area, not in those particulart vols area and It is up to the SOO of the comms centre to decide wether to send them or not.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

ace of spades wrote:
And I say again. Its ESL 1 area, not in those particulart vols area and It is up to the SOO of the comms centre to decide wether to send them or not.
Does not matter that its an ESL 1 area. That just means that the primary response should be from a career station. Take a look down south. Both Kwinana, Rockingham 2nd and Armadale 2nd are all in an ESL 1 response area and support the career staff as well as attending calls as the primary response units.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

The ESL categories actually have no grounding in legislation as far as response or responsibility is concerned. They are used for altering the rate charged to ratepayers under the ESL based on the service available in the area.

An area is either part of the Gazetted Fire District under the Fire Brigades Act, or it isn't. Just happens that some of the ESL boundaries line up with the Gazetted Fire District boundaries.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

I take that on board. I think this issue is done. The vols didn't get called. The perms did what they get paid to do, the fires out and lets look forward on this site to the next big job
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

from memory correct me if i wrong but warmt perth at first heading to cover midland station while they was at fire then when it hit 5 th alarm they turned out
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Let's keep the politics of perms vs vols, red vs white etc out of this thread. Please post it in this thread please.