W.A.E.R.N Project

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

chrissss

W.A.E.R.N Project

Post by chrissss »

Hey fellows,

Just wondering what the old Midland fire station is seeing as it is now labeled W.A E.R.N project
I understand it means WA emergency radio network and know what it entails but im not sure why they would want to use the old midland fire station.Possibly as a base for the project.
Just wondering what they could possibly use it for.

On another note,the old spearwood firestation has been demolished and its the exact same build as the old midland firestation.

Cheers.

Chris.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

when I've seen the doors open I've seen a lot of boxes. they might use the vehicle space where they store the trucks also as a build area. Other than that don't know why in particular they chose that station.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Jared
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Jared »

from what iv been told the project is for major emergencies. aka terrorist attack n thousands are injured... earthquake etc etc.
what it entails is all emergency services operate on 1 set of frequancies avaliable to all. This includes millitary, fire, ses, usar, etc it excludes the police.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The project is to ensure communications not only for disasters but for general communications. (eg SJA arrive at an accident, find nobody trapped and can inform FRS that they're not required for rescue.)

One advantage is VMRS can be used in the system - FESA have special dispensation to chat with boats in the case of a marine rescue. (for example) Military was never mentioned in the information about the radios. Police have the option to join at a later date if they so wish.

THe WAERN project on the FRS side involves Tait TM8260 radios which are dual band capable. From what I remember there will be two types involved - VHF high band (the new frequencies FESA will be changing to) & UHF, and VHF high & VHF low. They will be supplied with a yellow facia or a green facia, depending on the frequency ranges used. (I think yellow is the VHF high & UHF model.)
Nick
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Nick »

Another advantage will be each vehicle can be used as a crossband repeater.
Units with Vhf will be able to talk via the radio to units with UHF and vice versa.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Yep, and two vehicles could literally set up and become a full-blown repeater system.

Each TM8260 can monitor both a VHF and a UHF frequency at the same time.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Yes Peoples you are all Correct on the Radio data as for the old Midland sation that is were the Guys who are setting up the system are based out of all there equipment is sent there and from there they set up packages that are on sent to the areas that are having the System installed. they oversee all the instalations and commision all the networks. Esperance has had there system installed and commisioned and the rest of the great southeren is in the process of having there systems installed and commisioned as we speak Gosnells BFB have had all there radios installed on a metro trial basis and all new appliances are having theres installed as well.
Craig

Post by Craig »

wasaint wrote:<snip>... Gosnells BFB have had all there radios installed on a metro trial basis and all new appliances are having theres installed as well.
Do you know if there are there any VHF-Hi/UHF repeaters active yet for Gosnells to use with their new radios? Also, did they get the VHF-Mid/VHF-Hi or the VHF-Hi/UHF version?
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

Gosnells are getting the green one
It wasn't me honest.....it was the cat I'm sweet and innocent one :)
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

Gosnells have got the green ones.. I can say they are clearer than the old radios and without fully testing I reckon they are more powerful too..

We havn't had much of a chance to try them in the dead spots up in the hills but are keen to get up there..

We we all havn't been fully trained on them yet the ability to make a phone call from your radio unit may come in handy this summer..
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Bigfella78 wrote:Gosnells have got the green ones.. I can say they are clearer than the old radios and without fully testing I reckon they are more powerful too..
Nope... both the T2020 and TM8260 run at 25W.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

You will find it is more to do with the new repeaters that are currently being installed , that would be helping with the reception
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

I have noticed a bunch of frequencies licenced to FESA in the 161.000 to 165.000 sort of range. Does anyone know if they are for this project or will they be the new operational frequencies when that is up and running?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Always RX wrote:I have noticed a bunch of frequencies licenced to FESA in the 161.000 to 165.000 sort of range. Does anyone know if they are for this project or will they be the new operational frequencies when that is up and running?
The project is to build a new operational radio network, so....
Always RX

Post by Always RX »

oh ok...so they are one and the same. :wink: So the 160.000ish frequencies will carry 6AR / 6IP then...roger.