Other incidents/minor fires etc - 2008/2009

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

I agree with you jasonjag that it is a waste of resources to go to DBA where it is just toast, steam, workmen. Though you have to understand that you never know what the alarm is when you turn out to it. There have been occasions where DBA's have gone off and thay actually turn out to be fires. As you probably know, you never know what you are going to.

In response to going P2 there is no such thing in the fire service though it is up to the driver to drive the way they think they need to, for example you will drive differently to an accident persons trapped and a house fire than you would for a bin fire or a DBA. The road traffic code states that the fire trucks are exempt from alot of and not all of road rules "in consequence of a fire, and alarm of fire or an emergency or rescue situation where human life is reasonably considered to be in danger"

That is why they go lights and sirens for DBA's. Maybe they should start charging for false alarms like some other states then see the false alarms go down.[/b]
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

who are they going to charge for false alarms? They'll put it to the building owner who will charge the people that maintain the board. The people that maintain the board are then likely to stop directly notifying the fire brigade and have them notified instead then trying to call the building about it delaying resources responding to the fire. I say do as they do now, if it's a DBA and it's a false alarm then the premises calls 000 and advises of false alarm.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Correct me if i am wrong i think that currently the building pays an annual fee any way and if the alarm constanrly is going off for no reason then they are fined and there alarm is removed from the system which in turn probaly breaks the contract on there insurance so it is in the best interest of the company to have there alarm system working correctly.

i could be wrong
Leigh
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Leigh »

wasaint wrote:Correct me if i am wrong i think that currently the building pays an annual fee any way and if the alarm constanrly is going off for no reason then they are fined and there alarm is removed from the system which in turn probaly breaks the contract on there insurance so it is in the best interest of the company to have there alarm system working correctly.

i could be wrong
Yeah, i was under the impression that if there is constant and avoidable false alarms activating, the premises could be fined. One such premises that this occurs is St john of god, subiaco and that daglish are extremely pissed off at the number of alarms activating there(from what ive been told). Whether they get fined or not im unsure.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

They dont call 000 tyranus, they have a special number. They do have a system in place via the DM who will notify the building that there is a problem, however the fire brigade sorry sorry FESA can not fine them for alarms going off only notify them in writing to get the problem fixed. You are right in that they pay to have the alarm monitored by FESA (formerly the WA fire brigades board, bush fire service, SES, VMRS) however as I said before, my belief is that they dont get charged for false alarms.

Also Tyrannus it seems to work well in the east, so why cant it work here, though I see your point as well I guess
Leigh
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Leigh »

Truck rollover: Rockingham rd Henderson
Driver believed to be trapped

Success
Freo2nd(mphr) mobile
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The emphasis is on could be fined. There was discussion amongst the echelons of FESA last year about some places and the number of times that false/avoidable DBAs were going off. (eg hospitals) One of the suggestions was to take the alarm panel off-line which meant the place would not be covered under insurance. That'd get the repairs/action etc going I bet.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Ok I guess it makes sense calling in using another number, someone had told me they called 000 but that was a while ago so I can't even go beat them over the head for giving me bad info :lol:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
jasonjag
Banned

Truck Roll Over

Post by jasonjag »

Truck rollover, Malaga Frs, Bassendean and Perth ?? attending Tonkin Hwy, Details sketchy 1802 Bassendean and both Perth ?? stood down, 1807
flashover

BRT

Post by flashover »

As a new member, I thought it was normal for the BRT to be on its own with only 2 firemen and no FA. I see it all the time here in Kalamunda
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: BRT

Post by bomber »

flashover wrote:As a new member, I thought it was normal for the BRT to be on its own with only 2 firemen and no FA. I see it all the time here in Kalamunda
The difference is career v volunteer. Also FA are bushfire vehicles FRS call them Light tankers
flashover

oops

Post by flashover »

Sorry if i have put a cat amongst the pidgeons, i was just asking a simple question as a new member who isn't sure of exactly what gets discussed :? . also i must say sorry as i thought i was putting a reply on this post and i started a new topic by mistake. I must be blonde.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Flashover, dont worry about it too much. In answer to your question though what you will find is that the Career FRS will have 4 firies turning out generally, 2 on the Pump and 2 following on the LT. There is exceptions to this like Heavy rescue appliances which all 4 are in the pump, also the new scania SET ( old set is only a single cab so extra crew are in a lt ), and secondary appliances from the same station generally dont have a LT mor perth fire station who normally dont run Lt's until fire season

In the vol FRS they tend to turn out with what they have avail. sometimes 2,3,4 in main pump then soon the lt will follow ( if not enough crew may be left at station ). for a turn out though there should still be a min manning of 4 regardless of career or vol.

Hope this answers your query
Last edited by bomber on Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flashover

thanks

Post by flashover »

Thanks Bomber, its handy to have experienced / knowlageble people such as yourself, it makes these forums interesting. :)
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Re: BRT

Post by Jonesy »

bomber wrote:
flashover wrote:As a new member, I thought it was normal for the BRT to be on its own with only 2 firemen and no FA. I see it all the time here in Kalamunda
The difference is career v volunteer. Also FA are bushfire vehicles FRS call them Light tankers
It is of my understanding that BFS call them Light Tankers now too, but i may be mistaken. We certainly do anyway.