which manafacturer makes better trucks for fire applications

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

which manafacturer makes better trucks for fire applications

Post by woobla1 »

as title says...

I have seen mostly scania trucks, how do the others compare? Hino, ford etc.. I think I have even seen a Mercedes, mack , Mitsubishi hanging around.

Why are they so often scanias? is it cost/reliability better than others??
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Scania's are a good platform used by many fire services around the world. I would dare say they got them for a bargain price. I prefer the Freightliner setup.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

I think scanias are good but if you ever go to a fire with Fesa they send all there scanias and they just sit on the side of the road while they LT's are in the bush. Possilbe 4X4 or 6x6 Truck would be the best.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

This argument is like asking "how long is a piece of string".

The use of appliances depends on what sort of fire it is. FESA have chosen the Scanias as they are useful for the majority of fires they attend. BFS crews have Isuzus (and the occasional other make, such as Hino) as it suits their needs. VFRS crews have (or will have) Isuzus as again, that model truck suits the majority of their needs.