Training Ideas

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

SamW

Training Ideas

Post by SamW »

Hello Everyone,
I am looking for some ideas of training to do on Saturday mornings Sched Call. What training do you guys do in your brigade? It doesn't have to be anything special, just take up a few hours or less, and try to keep it interesting or different...There are only so many times we can practice drafting! It can be on anything Volunteer Bush Fire related, types of hose drills, radio communication etc...

Thanks

Sam
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Last Training Session we did was team building.

Best Training session i've done to date.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Sam,

FESA has a drills and skills handbook (has a new name now though) that may be helpful.. primarily hose drills, but is something different you can perhaps try?

We've done alot of work on hose drills, flaking etc.. stuff we dont use much on a fireground, but don't want to get caught out not knowing when you need it!
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Sam,
Let me know what gear you have to play with
If your brigade has BA, Try hiring a smoke machine ($50) and doing house search and rescues.
Ladder exersices are always good fun aswell.
Yesterday i took the crew for a walk (in Level 2 and BA) around the place until we ran out of air.
sometimes little things like that are fun.
SamW

Post by SamW »

Thanks for the ideas guys,

I will try and find one of those training booklets.
Our brigade has a Light Tanker and a 3.4U.
I am looking on the FESA volunteer website for more info and ideas.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Hydrant maintenance in BA!
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

Toottoot wrote:Hydrant maintenance in BA!
Yay!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

We get toilet rolls and the officer goes out into the bush and makes out 2 flanks and a head. We then rock up and put the "fire out" and then have a debrief. You get the younger members to act as Officers and it gets them to perform in a role they are not used to. We make out different scenarios pending on the bush layout.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Millsy wrote:
Toottoot wrote:Hydrant maintenance in BA!
Yay!
Saturday vehicle checks in BA :P...hmmm BA sets are missing...minus the sched :P could sound a bit funny on the radio :lol:
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Helitak_670 wrote:We get toilet rolls and the officer goes out into the bush and makes out 2 flanks and a head. We then rock up and put the "fire out" and then have a debrief. You get the younger members to act as Officers and it gets them to perform in a role they are not used to. We make out different scenarios pending on the bush layout.
No risk of not having bog roll if you need to take a quick one on your firegrounds :P
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

No the bog rolls for the truck stay there. We go buy some off the shelf. It just brings in something to go nail instead of using your imagination. Over in NSW we used to "fight" this fire up the hill, then carry up a portable pump and keep relay pumping to catch the fire (has happened in the past) It was a great exercise that everyone could have a bit of fun. At the same time the officer for the day used to throw some wobblies into the "incident" such as someone has collapsed, first aid response, vehicle's blocking the road, no water, etc,
SamW

Post by SamW »

Ahh we did the attack the fire going up the hill behind the fire shed a few weeks back with the new members. It was good fun, but instead of toilet roll we used our witches hats that we carry on the truck, got to use them once I guess...We have had 5 new members join up after the big fire! Best way to get more members!
And we have a BA night coming up soon too:D
Kevlar

Post by Kevlar »

Fastlane wrote:Sam,

FESA has a drills and skills handbook (has a new name now though) that may be helpful.. primarily hose drills, but is something different you can perhaps try?

We've done alot of work on hose drills, flaking etc.. stuff we dont use much on a fireground, but don't want to get caught out not knowing when you need it!
That Drills booklet, is that the readiness drills? 5 or 6 hose drills (some in BA) some BA drills and at least one Hazmat?