Another volunteer fire fighter charged

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Markmywords

Another volunteer fire fighter charged

Post by Markmywords »

wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Not what we needed ! but at least he has been caught before too much damadge was caused. hope they throw the book at him as well.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

maybe we need to introduce testing for vollies to weed out these people. harsh i know but what else can you do?
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Over in NSW they have a pre screening to become a volunteer. You are interviewed by the FCO (DM equiv) and the Brigade Captain before you are made a probationary member of the brigade.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

when u apply to become a vollie now u do need 2 references before they accept you.i know thats not much,but its better then nothing i guess.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

chrissss wrote:when u apply to become a vollie now u do need 2 references before they accept you.i know thats not much,but its better then nothing i guess.
That might be the case for your brigade, but it isn't necessarily the case for any others. Comes down to local policy. Some brigades require Police Clearances now (and quite rightly so). Having said that, no matter what you do, if someone hasn't been busted for doing the wrong thing before, how are you going to weed them out and not get done for discrimination if you deny someone?

FESA mentioned a few years ago when someone got caught, that all volunteers were screened.. love to know where that is and how they can even say that, when they dont run or administer bush fire brigades..
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

AFAIK, I've only had to do police clearance for SES, but then again can't really remember the paperwork for firies. But because I'm working with the new recruits with SES I do get reminded of the number of forms.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

I no offf three bridageds <2BFS 1 FRS> that requier police clearances prior to joining prob a good thing too but then some times this sort off thing can be there first offence so it pays just to to be alert in your group
woobla1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by woobla1 »

might catch a few out for police checks and stuff. but I doubt the majority have records.

you could always play a video of a fire. and check for a hard on.. but this then might catch out 98% of the volunteers ;)
KAB

Post by KAB »

that realy ticks me off because people dont look at any of us young Brigade members as being in it to help out the community and bepart of it not all of us young members are dickheads.

i hope they loked him up for good people now aday have no respect for the community they are in.

Cheers
KAB
"Bakers51" BFS
"Kingfisher"on UHF