Forrestfield Training Academy Open Day

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Yeah they'd probably just stick you in the one lecture room. 2 Full days for 2 BFS modules...unless they're wanting to do a demonstration...I'm curious now, I think they covered those 2 modules in the morning session on the Sunday at Mundaring Fire School, followed in the arvo by hand tools, Hydrants and hoses, and comms was some where in all that too I think.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
lytec

open day

Post by lytec »

they gave us a schedule and it looks full on.it certainly has us busy for both days.whether or not it is like that when we get there will be a different thing.
lytec

open day

Post by lytec »

also these arent the beginer modules.these are 228/229 which i believe are the secound level in these two categories
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

ohk fair enough...done through BFS or VFRS or FRS??
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
lytec

open day

Post by lytec »

BFS
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

2.28 and 2.29 are old AFAC Modules - they are available to all of the Fire Services, not just BFS.
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

Tyranus wrote:Yeah they'd probably just stick you in the one lecture room. 2 Full days for 2 BFS modules...unless they're wanting to do a demonstration...I'm curious now, I think they covered those 2 modules in the morning session on the Sunday at Mundaring Fire School, followed in the arvo by hand tools, Hydrants and hoses, and comms was some where in all that too I think.
Hmm you have "SO" in your signiture block but yet you have no idea about the difference between the basic F/F course and the 2.28 & 2.29. Either you have had a bad day mate or you have no idea. Just an observation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

I think you'll find he used the full name for the courses, which is what the BFS tend to do...well in my experience anyway, in which case Module 2 of the BFS course is Wildfire Behaviour and Module 3 is Wildfire Suppression or for FRS 1.16 and 1.18 respectively...that is I think where the confusion came in...as soon as it was said 2.28 and 2.29 I knew it was the Advanced courses being talked about.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression to be a station officer you had to be a perm fire fighter? Vollies have capt foreman apps officer and secretary?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Tyranus wrote:I think you'll find he used the full name for the courses, which is what the BFS tend to do...well in my experience anyway, in which case Module 2 of the BFS course is Wildfire Behaviour and Module 3 is Wildfire Suppression or for FRS 1.16 and 1.18 respectively...that is I think where the confusion came in...as soon as it was said 2.28 and 2.29 I knew it was the Advanced courses being talked about.
To throw a cat amongst the pigeons, the 'modules' and BFS course per-se do not exist anymore. Has been replaced with a common training package for the Volunteer Fire Services.
ST_DOC wrote:Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression to be a station officer you had to be a perm fire fighter? Vollies have capt foreman apps officer and secretary?
Poor choice of title for another job, I suspect.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Fastlane wrote:
Tyranus wrote:I think you'll find he used the full name for the courses, which is what the BFS tend to do...well in my experience anyway, in which case Module 2 of the BFS course is Wildfire Behaviour and Module 3 is Wildfire Suppression or for FRS 1.16 and 1.18 respectively...that is I think where the confusion came in...as soon as it was said 2.28 and 2.29 I knew it was the Advanced courses being talked about.
To throw a cat amongst the pigeons, the 'modules' and BFS course per-se do not exist anymore. Has been replaced with a common training package for the Volunteer Fire Services.
ST_DOC wrote:Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression to be a station officer you had to be a perm fire fighter? Vollies have capt foreman apps officer and secretary?
Poor choice of title for another job, I suspect.
Forgotten about the change.

Yeah different job to what a full time SO would normally do, my job is to ensure the station is up to scratch, i.e kept clean and tidy, area outside raked up. Thats what I got told the position was called, don't know what you would call it??
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Station keeper is what I know of the name... I was one for a while.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

There you go, easiest way to avoid confusion :)
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
ST_DOC

Post by ST_DOC »

I thought that would be shared by the members on a rostered basis? Bit unfair if someone gets the lot.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

In certain circumstances a station keeper is justified. Some older stations still have the house next door when keepers were all the rage. Denmark, Goomalling and Merredin are good examples. Changes instigated by the WA Fire Brigades Board phased out the stations with attached houses and, as such, station keepers. FESA have also tried to phase out station keepers as there have been problems because tenancy (rental) agreements have not been sorted out in the past.

I was extremely lucky and honoured to be the station keeper at Merredin. The station was built in 1935 and the house was built at the same time. My role was to keep the station and garden in good order, act as security for the place, as the fire phone had an extension connected at the residence I was automatically part of the group call system and could be dressed in turn-out gear and have the roller-door up (and often have contacted operations) by the time the other volunteers arrived and got dressed.

Merredin is getting a new station and there is no accommodation incorporated with the plans.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.