Guildford VFRS open day

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Guildford VFRS open day

Post by 5001020 »

Taken from the Echo Sarurday June 9, 2007

"Guildford Volunteer Fire and Rescue Service is looking to recruit more volunteers in the lead up to what is shaping up to be a big year for the brigade.
An open day and recruitment afternoon will be held at the station on Meadow street, Guildford, on June 23rd from 2pm.
Brigade Captain, Neil Hawkins, said the crew was coming off a busy summer, with 26 fire calls. "Most of those were bush fires, but we are trained to fight all sorts of fires and often have to perform asset protection duties when a major bushfire threatens buildings," he said.

"We are seeking eight new members and the only pre-requisites are that you be reasonably fit and healthy, live within five kilometres of the fire station and be keen to learn new skills. People available during normal working hours would also be very usefull."
Firefighters from the brigade train regularly at the FESA Training Academy at Forrestfield.
Cpt Hawkins said the next 12 months would be an exciting time to be a part of the brigade as it will be celebrating its Centenary in 2008. "We are planning a number of activities, one of which is the publication of a brigade history, so if there's anyone out there with stories or nenorabilia relating to the brigade, we'd like to talk to them," he said.
The brigade meets from 6pm every Tuesday.
For more infromation phone 0412 225 886."

Cheers
Jas
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Makes our 100+ calls a year seem insignificant.. :lol:

Amazed these guys are still around
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Fastlane wrote:Makes our 100+ calls a year seem insignificant.. :lol:

HOw many call outs do they do ?? not many im guessing ?
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

Markmywords wrote:
Fastlane wrote:Makes our 100+ calls a year seem insignificant.. :lol:

HOw many call outs do they do ?? not many im guessing ?
what you have to remember is that these guys have been swallowd up by the perms in the surrounding area. This is the same as bassendean. They both get bypassed for lots of calls in there areas but get used more for the task force and larger grassie that take place.
Have heard on the grapevine that they are due to get new hsr to replace there mazdas that they have.
Its hard enough to keep people interested with 150 cal;ls per year let alone 40

Post by 5001020 »

yes, not to be mean but i had a little chuckle when i read they had a busy year with 26 calls :) Though from talking to them at bushfires and such it sounds like there mainly into community type things and have a very strong running team. Yeah there LP is starting to get a bit old.

Cheers
Jas
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

26 calls....crap i mean not that you WISHING to be busy but still 26 calls..youd soon get bord.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

I think that there year call outs ended up at 46. It was either them or bassendean. Yes i think that they both have a running team. Would be interesting to see wether they would still be around if they didnt.

Good on them all for sticking with it though
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Went down to have a look, quite dissapointing there was only 1 other person that came down, admittedly he did take a membership form so hopefully they have a new member soon. Nice little station with decent folk. Most of their jobs are the Bush Fires (Assett protection), if they want to get to a structural fire they have to be getting out of the station in 8 minutes otherwise Basso and Midland will get there first.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

I would have loved to have gone down. Unfortunately I was unable. Good to see you went. :) Any pics at all?

Post by 5001020 »

Glad to see you got down there, shame there wasnt a better turn out. Would loved to have gone but was on roster.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Sorry no pics, I felt bad enough as it was, the main drive of the open day was for recruits, and I think their captain was hoping that I'd join up, but at this point in time I don't have any intentions on leaving Darlington. They've got a newish looking LT and an older Light Pumper. for those that were wondering what they've got.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.