Difference between 6AR & 6IP

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

It may have been mentioned at some stage, but can anyone, please explain the difference between the 6AR and the 6IP frequencies???

Is one better than the other to listen to?

I thank all in advance for any replies to this
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

6ip and 6ar arent really different they are on the same channel
i have to frequencies for each but ther 55 & 80
the one that 6ar is on has more mdt transmitting so the 6ip channel is better
6ip is what bushfire brigades use
6ar is what the frs use so wew dont get mixed correct me if im wrong

chriso
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

I could be wrong (someone correct me if so) but I was told during comms training that 6AR is for metro, 6IP for regional.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

I appreciate your imput meg - thanks
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I dont think there is a difference, you can hear the FRS on 6IP and i would presume that the FRS can hear us on 6AR. So listen to either, you'll pick up both frs and the bushies
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Thanks guys
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

JG-103 wrote:I dont think there is a difference
I think there is when you're transmitting - noticeable outside the metro area as the repeaters for both are not statewide.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yeah, but if your only listening then it doesnt really matter, he can change to the 6IP or 6AR channel depending on where he lives and what he wants to hear, i have 6IP and i can hear Perth 1st and Freo all going to fires clear as can be.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

JG-103 - which frequency is that on 6IP that you have?
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

78.4125 6IP Outer Metro Sth, if im not mistaken, i dont have my scanner on me so i cant check but chrisss will correct me if im wrong.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Thanks mate
Craig

Post by Craig »

Both 6IP and 6AR are repeater networks that link back to the FESA communications centre in Perth. 6AR is channels 51,52,55 & 57 and covers the metro area. 6IP is channels 24,25,30 & 80 and covers the metro fringe.

Both networks have significant overlap in the metro area. Career and volunteer FRS stations use 6AR, BFB stations use 6IP - in general. Now here comes the confusing part - if a BFB attends a FRS incident, then they will use 6AR, and if a FRS station attends a BFB fire, they will use 6IP.

Why all this? Because during winter the radio operators can link the two networks and have fewer operators. During the busier summer period the networks are split and each network has it's own operator.

At the end of the day, during winter you can listen to a 6IP/6AR repeater (whichever is better for your location). During summer you may want to scan one of each.

Hope that helps...
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Dear Craig and all others who responded.

I am most greatful for your help and for explaining this in depth. I am now able to pick up a few FESA frequencies.

I appreciate your time and effort into this, and hope i can help you guys as well some where down the track.
banjupb

Post by banjupb »

Hi I am new to the group.
The differance in the call sign is bush fire brigades (B.W.T. Big White Trucks) use 6IP and FRS (B.R.T. Big Red Trucks) use 6AR. They are differant radio chs and ctcss tones. They became linked together when FRS took over the comm center for both Fire Services.
See Ya
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: Difference between 6AR & 6IP

Post by vk6hgr »

banjupb wrote:Hi I am new to the group.
The differance in the call sign is bush fire brigades (B.W.T. Big White Trucks) use 6IP and FRS (B.R.T. Big Red Trucks) use 6AR. They are differant radio chs and ctcss tones. They became linked together when FRS took over the comm center for both Fire Services.
Hi Banjupb.

Is the linking permanent or do they still de-link 6AR and 6IP if things get busy?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr