bush fire games

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

chrissss

bush fire games

Post by chrissss »

there are probably a few people in here that are in volunteer brigades
For anyone that doesnt know bush fire games are on sunday october 30th
at manning park spearwood
all day should be a good day go down and cheer on your local teams

chris-o :D
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Re: bush fire games

Post by vk6hgr »

chrissss wrote:there are probably a few people in here that are in volunteer brigades
For anyone that doesnt know bush fire games are on sunday october 30th
at manning park spearwood
all day should be a good day go down and cheer on your local teams

For the uninitiated - what are the bush fire games?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
radiohead
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by radiohead »

My thoughts exactly... :shock:
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

The bush fire games is an annual event held each year for volunteer bush fire brigades in the metro area- quins rock included, to compete in timed events in which time penalties are given for such things as not stowing equipment properly, falling over, unsafe acts and this year there is a 60 sec penalty for not having fun!!! The three brigades with the fastest times in each event are awarded points and at the end of the day it is the team with the most points who wins. Events this year are the call out event, in which members must get there gear on and then fill up and transport water using holely buckets from one point to another. Structual: not that many brigades go to house fires, this event featured two years ago and involves a gantry, a stove fire, a couch fire, ranch style fence to climb, t branch set up, lots of fun. Theres another event which im sure me mate chris can inform u on but if anybody wants a copy of the rules and stuff, tell me and ill scan them for u. This year is going to be interesting as the way they have organised it has prevented brigades training with designated positions, this means there will be a lot more mistakes and a more even field. Cadets are also in it! Highly recommended!
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

JG-103 wrote:The bush fire games is an annual event held each year for volunteer bush fire brigades in the metro area- quins rock included, to compete in timed events in which time penalties are given for such things as not stowing equipment properly, falling over, unsafe acts and this year there is a 60 sec penalty for not having fun!!! The three brigades with the fastest times in each event are awarded points and at the end of the day it is the team with the most points who wins. Events this year are the call out event, in which members must get there gear on and then fill up and transport water using holely buckets from one point to another. Structual: not that many brigades go to house fires, this event featured two years ago and involves a gantry, a stove fire, a couch fire, ranch style fence to climb, t branch set up, lots of fun. Theres another event which im sure me mate chris can inform u on but if anybody wants a copy of the rules and stuff, tell me and ill scan them for u. This year is going to be interesting as the way they have organised it has prevented brigades training with designated positions, this means there will be a lot more mistakes and a more even field. Cadets are also in it! Highly recommended!
Can the general public go and watch?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

of course they can come and watch
it is held in conjunction with the annual cockburn spring fair which is it at the same venue which has rides, stalls and all sorts of other good things

the third event james forgot is the knapsack: for those who dont know knapsack is basically a backpack filled with water which has a gun which u pump the water out what they used before brigades had funding
anyway the main object of that even isi to get to the knapsacks fill them up quickly while two other members are buring logs with rakehoes and then two people must mount the knapsack onto someones back they have decided to bring the new knapsacks in theis year the old ones are plastic boxes basically and the new ones are like pillows anyway after they have that two people must roll up LT hose and the two knapsack operators put out to burning hession bags if one isnt out the other team member cant assist to the tewards satisfaction then they must empty the remaining contents out of knapsacks put them back in bay and return through the course to the back of the vehicle

good event
everyone welcome
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

chrissss wrote:the third event james forgot is the knapsack: for those who dont know knapsack is basically a backpack filled with water which has a gun which u pump the water out what they used before brigades had funding
Our original members reckon that they were issued hessian sacks "back in the day" ... 22 gallon drums of water (transported in wheelbarrows) came down the track a bit :) This is over 50 years ago mind.

Good luck to all the teams entering!
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

I have done a run down of the events, they are in the special events and show section for anybody interested.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

yer good luck to all involved will be interseting to see how everyone goes with the new rules
anyonme else in here entering teams?????

we were champs in 05'........only just though

should be very close this year with the whole new rules

chriso
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

chrissss wrote:anyonme else in here entering teams?????
I don't think we ever have. It's a long way to return if there's a fire call. They should have them in July instead :)
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

1 week left hope everyones ready
:evil:
:P
:twisted:
:shock:
:D
:)
:o
:x
:wink:
:roll:

chris-o
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Final placings

#1 Singleton
#2Mandogalup(hooray)
#3 gosnells

congratulations to all and was a great competitive day

JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yes we came second !!!! How good was it, congrats to singleton, they did really well this year, too bad gosnells left before we could shake their hands. GO MANDOGALUP i love my medals
Well done to all
JG103 :P