Which Vollie Station?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Fastlane wrote:'cor.. 75 members is a BIG brigade.. and desperate for more!? (that or its old info)
Probably is old info... but I know FESA were promoting their new recruitment DVD. That's probably the reason why you heard from that Brigade saying they need members. I know on GWN last night they were saying that Geraldton VF&RS were short on members. (There are issues for the lack of members but this is hardly the forum to discuss it....)
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Baldivis are a large brigade, but just havea look in their Station and you'll see why. The have a 9.2, a large ICV, a 3.4 and acouple of light tankers in station. I believe they also have additional light tankers (long story). I also believe that alot of their members are actually support (not so active) and/or primarily used for ICV operations and other support tasks.

They do seem to be a fairly active brigade, and I used to hear them on the radio alot for incidents.

I did some training in their station, and have some crappy pics, which I'll post to fofopic in the near future.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

baldivis have..........

*3 Lighttankers for this fire season

*1.4 brand new seen it its pretty awesome and u may be interested to know a 1.4 is only 400mm longer than a light tanker and holds 3 times the water but the height is probably 400-600mm more but yeah the guy drivin rekkons its good through the dirt due to being turbo deisel

*I.C.V which was used at the serpintine fire and also used around rockingham for both frs and bfb incidents sometimes, they also have ther own i.s.g group(incident support group) which i guess is for there bus if u've heard the 2 normal operators i think ther not up to scratch for major incidents buts thats only my personal opinion

i would say that 75 active members could possibly a tally of all there members they'd probably have around 20.

also they wernt really busy as to what they normally are with hope valley moving in and the esl changes and so forth but with the arsonist the have been

and brad depending on how far u live from baldivis station, in port kennedy have you thought about joining rockingham 2nd and they mostly get called to bush fires before baldivis do in rocko 1st area and usually to 2nd or 3rd alarm incidents get called out anyways also when rocko and hopevalley are of station i beleieve 2nd go on station to cover there area becuase i heard them go to a dba a couple of weeks ago

so yer

hope that helps

chris :wink:
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

And theres always Singleton & Secret Harbour aswell.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Ur talking like u know everything bout baldivis chris.

They have a roster system tho, so that means u can only go to fires if its ur week to do it, which is shit.

Unlike our system where u ring in and tell the captain that ur available when the pager or sms goes off. This way u can go to as many fires as u want (if u get in the crew) or non if u dont want to.

SO

We have

A dual cab 3.4

2 Lt's

7.2- (was a 5.2 back in the day and was the first bfb tanker in wa)

ICV

Technically u could say we have an isg too- dont get me started

Just because u have a large number of vehicles doesnt mean that ur a large brigade, u can have all those vehicles and have just enough members to man them all- then are u considered a large brigade ?????

And there is a big difference between having members and having ACTIVE members but then again what defines an ACTIVE member ?

U can have a brigade of 100+ people. and only 20 odd would actually go to fires, attend mantainence, go to monthly meetings etc etc whilst others just show up to one thing an are never seen again.

so...
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

chrissss wrote: *1.4 brand new seen it its pretty awesome and u may be interested to know a 1.4 is only 400mm longer than a light tanker and holds 3 times the water but the height is probably 400-600mm more but yeah the guy drivin rekkons its good through the dirt due to being turbo deisel
I take it their 1.4 is a single-cab then chris?

I've heard the complete opposite regarding how they go in dirt/sand etc.. suppose we shall find out for ourselves shortly though when the new Two Rocks Brigade gets theirs next month.
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Fastlane wrote:
chrissss wrote:the guy drivin rekkons its good through the dirt due to being turbo deisel
I've heard the complete opposite regarding how they go in dirt/sand etc.. suppose we shall find out for ourselves shortly though when the new Two Rocks Brigade gets theirs next month.
Same here - I've heard brigades who want their light tankers back rather than the 1.4's.
rich

Post by rich »

Our new 1.4 in gidge is great it will go anywhere our light tankers will go
we dodn't have a problem with it.
lytec

Post by lytec »

Gsonells where offered one but we said no.They wanted to take both light tankers from us and we didnt think it would be a good deal as would only leave us with a 1.4,2.4 and 7.2.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Fastlane wrote:
chrissss wrote: *1.4 brand new seen it its pretty awesome and u may be interested to know a 1.4 is only 400mm longer than a light tanker and holds 3 times the water but the height is probably 400-600mm more but yeah the guy drivin rekkons its good through the dirt due to being turbo deisel

Yep it is
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Fastlane wrote:

yes fastlane it looks pretty good has probably a bit less lockers than a 3.4
but yer didnt check to see wheter it had behind the cab area as in monitors and watknot

the driver claimed he was easily gettin through boggy sand and the frs wer complainin but yer and as for takin 2 lts for a 1.4 thats a raw deal i'd have to yeah 1 lt but not to coz of the extra height some places are just thqat little bit inaccesible but all in all if a brigade had a 1.4 and a lt as well id that'd pretty good

chris
Markmywords

Post by Markmywords »

Fastlane wrote:
JG-103 wrote:Gosnells hardly ever go to fires- bit like South Coogee :roll:
Gosnells still has a fire district though (Orange Grove & Martin), unlike South Coogee.
When they clear the wattleup up and turn it into an industrial estate is that affecting the brigade at all ? i didnt notice they were tucked away all neatly in the corner. just curious thats all
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

well it will but it wont
im not sure what the saituation is in regards to demolishing there station along with the rest of wattleup but south coogee have a a very good workin relationship with sucess hence having a few callouts but i beleive ther is rumour but dont hold me too it that they may make some sort of cockburn emergency centre in years to come but dont hold me too that

also a shift from hope valley(our career frs brigade in kwinana) came to our station to find out what vehicles we have due to a new station officer(in a year they have been ther this is the frst time any shift has come to our station) anyway found it interesting the shift is made up of 2 females a fresh out of school bloke and ther station officer which has only been ther 2 months and yer the didnt even know we had a 7.2 or the icv and wer very impressed with our icv because apparebntly belmont is shite and at one stage the sirens wernt working..........different story

but yer good too see things starting to finally shape up in that regard

:)

chris
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

He's a hell good S.O and he is familiar with the area because he lives in one of the suburbs in kwinana which is really good, specially now that him and some of the firies now know about our 7.2 and ICV - should result in more call outs.

South Coogee has a great relationship with success, they get turned out so often now, its good coz at one stage i thought they wouldnt have any members left.

I wonder how gosnells is going, havent heard them in a year, have they had any call outs ?
munchkin1981
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by munchkin1981 »

they were called about 2 weeks ago to a fire