W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderators: meg, bogged

auntys_eyes
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1666
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:15 am
Location: Greenmount

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by auntys_eyes » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:20 pm

newbie wrote:The F 350 would be a standard licence and a canter would only be a LR licence if that, but you are right in that anything above a standard licence would be an issue... Forgot about that... To get a MR is only be a couple of hundred depending how many lessons you took but that is enough to stop people getting one if all they are going to use it for is in their local brigade.
What about all the brigades with 1.4s, 2.4s, 3.4s, 4.4s, HSRs, and BWTs? Many of their members would already have LR licenses and above, so i don't think the license requirement would be a significant hinderance. The number of brigades that only operate LTs would possibly be in the minority.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!

Wazza Y
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by Wazza Y » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:10 am

auntys_eyes wrote:
newbie wrote:The F 350 would be a standard licence and a canter would only be a LR licence if that, but you are right in that anything above a standard licence would be an issue... Forgot about that... To get a MR is only be a couple of hundred depending how many lessons you took but that is enough to stop people getting one if all they are going to use it for is in their local brigade.
What about all the brigades with 1.4s, 2.4s, 3.4s, 4.4s, HSRs, and BWTs? Many of their members would already have LR licenses and above, so i don't think the license requirement would be a significant hinderance. The number of brigades that only operate LTs would possibly be in the minority.
I don't think there are too many brigades that don't have LTs and in our brigade we have both a 3.4 and a 7.2 but sometimes struggle to get drivers but can always turn out our LTs plus the other major thing is cost per unit, mind you the landcruisers are getting expensive but no where near an f350 these days. I do think some brigades could operate a hilux as a fast attack though as lots of farmers do

TLD11
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by TLD11 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 am

Murdoch & Rockingham 1st have their new UP's commissioned.

dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 614
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:21 pm
Location: Perth

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by dazla » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Can most BFB appliances be driven on an MR license?
Per Ardua-Ad Astra

pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:55 pm
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun
Location: Northam Shire

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by pacestick » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:59 am

dazla wrote:Can most BFB appliances be driven on an MR license?
2.4 and under from memory otherwise its got to be HR but Im not 100% SURE.
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE

kwn
Posts: 141
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by kwn » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:45 am

pacestick wrote:
dazla wrote:Can most BFB appliances be driven on an MR license?
2.4 and under from memory otherwise its got to be HR but Im not 100% SURE.

The BFB appliances with a single rear axle can be driven with MR (4.4 and below).
HR would be required on the likes of 12.2 bulk water carrier etc due to the double axle.
Hope this helps.

jezza
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by jezza » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:34 pm

kwn wrote:The BFB appliances with a single rear axle can be driven with MR (4.4 and below).
HR would be required on the likes of 12.2 bulk water carrier etc due to the double axle.
Hope this helps.
I can confirm this. You can also drive a LT on a manual C class license too.

xr8edute
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by xr8edute » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Well it sounds like our brigades Lt is getting replaced with a V8 one next week ( not sure if its a new one or just a exchange). I was wondering that now they have been out and about for a while now, how are brigades finding them and are there any tips or tricks that you have discovered during your time with them.

Cheers all.
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS

HX010
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by HX010 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Our v8 lt is nice to drive but the pump on it is pretty average.

Sandmann
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by Sandmann » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Ours is a lot nicer then the last POS we had , Only issue we have is that it wont start the pump from the cabin first up. Have to start it from outside until it warms up the the inside switches work

jezza
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by jezza » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:07 am

Also you have to be aware that it takes about 20secs to start the engine from hitting the isolation switch - this is because the V8s have an ECU where as the old 6-cyl didn't. No biggie, but if you're in a hurry, you get the battery going first thing.

Apart from that, awesome chassis - it'll go almost anywhere!

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by Helitak_670 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 pm

Never knew about the 20sec delay. As for the pump just make sure the throttle is cracked a little bit all the time.

xr8edute
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by xr8edute » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Helitak_670 wrote: As for the pump just make sure the throttle is cracked a little bit all the time.
Any special reason for this Helitak?



The pump and motor have changed too havent they. We are currently running a 9hp Briggs Vanguard and a Davey twin impeller pump. Am I right in saying that the new LTs use a Honda GX270 9hp Honda with a stalker pump?
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by Helitak_670 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:55 pm

I will have a look at our setup and get back to you. The reason for the crack of the throttle is that it is more inclined to start when cold from the cab. I have only once had to start it from outside and that was in the middle of winter. During summer I have never had an issue except when the throttle is fully closed (idle)

TLD11
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by TLD11 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Malaga have been training with their new UP. Is Malaga the last station to have their series 3 Scania MP replaced? - as their's was the highest number. (MP56)

Post Reply