W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

auntys_eyes

Re: W.A Fire Appliances

Post by auntys_eyes »

newbie wrote:The F 350 would be a standard licence and a canter would only be a LR licence if that, but you are right in that anything above a standard licence would be an issue... Forgot about that... To get a MR is only be a couple of hundred depending how many lessons you took but that is enough to stop people getting one if all they are going to use it for is in their local brigade.
What about all the brigades with 1.4s, 2.4s, 3.4s, 4.4s, HSRs, and BWTs? Many of their members would already have LR licenses and above, so i don't think the license requirement would be a significant hinderance. The number of brigades that only operate LTs would possibly be in the minority.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

auntys_eyes wrote:
newbie wrote:The F 350 would be a standard licence and a canter would only be a LR licence if that, but you are right in that anything above a standard licence would be an issue... Forgot about that... To get a MR is only be a couple of hundred depending how many lessons you took but that is enough to stop people getting one if all they are going to use it for is in their local brigade.
What about all the brigades with 1.4s, 2.4s, 3.4s, 4.4s, HSRs, and BWTs? Many of their members would already have LR licenses and above, so i don't think the license requirement would be a significant hinderance. The number of brigades that only operate LTs would possibly be in the minority.
I don't think there are too many brigades that don't have LTs and in our brigade we have both a 3.4 and a 7.2 but sometimes struggle to get drivers but can always turn out our LTs plus the other major thing is cost per unit, mind you the landcruisers are getting expensive but no where near an f350 these days. I do think some brigades could operate a hilux as a fast attack though as lots of farmers do
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

Murdoch & Rockingham 1st have their new UP's commissioned.
dazla
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dazla »

Can most BFB appliances be driven on an MR license?
Per Ardua-Ad Astra
pacestick
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Pro handheld scanner
Bearcat scanner
Wuoxun

Post by pacestick »

dazla wrote:Can most BFB appliances be driven on an MR license?
2.4 and under from memory otherwise its got to be HR but Im not 100% SURE.
Volunteer BFS.
VK6FIRE
kwn

Post by kwn »

pacestick wrote:
dazla wrote:Can most BFB appliances be driven on an MR license?
2.4 and under from memory otherwise its got to be HR but Im not 100% SURE.

The BFB appliances with a single rear axle can be driven with MR (4.4 and below).
HR would be required on the likes of 12.2 bulk water carrier etc due to the double axle.
Hope this helps.
jezza

Post by jezza »

kwn wrote:The BFB appliances with a single rear axle can be driven with MR (4.4 and below).
HR would be required on the likes of 12.2 bulk water carrier etc due to the double axle.
Hope this helps.
I can confirm this. You can also drive a LT on a manual C class license too.
xr8edute

Post by xr8edute »

Well it sounds like our brigades Lt is getting replaced with a V8 one next week ( not sure if its a new one or just a exchange). I was wondering that now they have been out and about for a while now, how are brigades finding them and are there any tips or tricks that you have discovered during your time with them.

Cheers all.
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS
HX010

Post by HX010 »

Our v8 lt is nice to drive but the pump on it is pretty average.
Sandmann

Post by Sandmann »

Ours is a lot nicer then the last POS we had , Only issue we have is that it wont start the pump from the cabin first up. Have to start it from outside until it warms up the the inside switches work
jezza

Post by jezza »

Also you have to be aware that it takes about 20secs to start the engine from hitting the isolation switch - this is because the V8s have an ECU where as the old 6-cyl didn't. No biggie, but if you're in a hurry, you get the battery going first thing.

Apart from that, awesome chassis - it'll go almost anywhere!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Never knew about the 20sec delay. As for the pump just make sure the throttle is cracked a little bit all the time.
xr8edute

Post by xr8edute »

Helitak_670 wrote: As for the pump just make sure the throttle is cracked a little bit all the time.
Any special reason for this Helitak?

The pump and motor have changed too havent they. We are currently running a 9hp Briggs Vanguard and a Davey twin impeller pump. Am I right in saying that the new LTs use a Honda GX270 9hp Honda with a stalker pump?
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

I will have a look at our setup and get back to you. The reason for the crack of the throttle is that it is more inclined to start when cold from the cab. I have only once had to start it from outside and that was in the middle of winter. During summer I have never had an issue except when the throttle is fully closed (idle)
TLD11

Post by TLD11 »

Malaga have been training with their new UP. Is Malaga the last station to have their series 3 Scania MP replaced? - as their's was the highest number. (MP56)