W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Yer that would have been me :D
WPXZBP

BRTs and other appliances

Post by WPXZBP »

Let's start at the "bottom"...

Light tanker (LT): Typically 500-600L of water and basic firefighting kit. Useful for offroad situations as they have 4WD. In volunteer FRS land they are often used to tow a rescue trailer.

BFS LT from Konnongorring BFS, Goomalling Shire, between Goomalling and Wongan Hills. They run a Toyota Landcruiser version.

VFRS LT from Kellerberrin VF&RS. Landcruiser again.

VFRS LT from Lake Grace VF&RS. They have the Landrover.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Now the 1.4

1500L of water in a single cab version, 1000L of water in the dual cab, 4WD.

Wiluna BFS's single cab 1.4 seen at Dowerin Field Day in '06.

Un-named dual cab 1.4 seen at a Leader's Forum.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

calingiri 2.4

South Coogee's very nice lookin 2.4 Urban

both taken at the Toodyay fire
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Next - the Light Pumper. Initially built to replace the old Bedfords, the Mazda Light Pumper was the mainstay of VF&RS Brigades all over the state. 1000L of water, not able to pump-and-roll, it was designed for town work and not mobile bush fire fighting. These appliances are being phased out - 2.4U, 3.4U, HSR or country pumpers are taking its place.

The Merredin Light Pumper (LP-093)

The 'Bluey Day' Light Pumper used to promote Bluey Day.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

awesome pics, crikey! that lp from merridin is in immaculate condition!

looks like ther tryin to phase out the lt in some areas with 1.4s for some reason.

everyone ive talked to bar muchea is extremly happy with em except muchea i think theyve got hilly terrain abnd said they didnt have a choice:S but yer wer gettina new lt appretly this monday 8) so........ yeah

chris :wink:
xli

Post by xli »

Picture of Darlington 1 (as you can tell) with the John Forrest National Park fire from earlier this week in the background. probably not your usual photo of the bushfire appliances, but yeah :)
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Yeah the LP from Merredin is in pretty good shape considering its age. It does have its problems (difficulty in pulling the skin off a rice custard at times - not uncommon) but is a good workhorse. Merredin is expecting to get a new 2.4U when the new station is built.

1.4s are being supplied to replace light tankers in some VF&RS stations. Not sure which ones but from what I understand it's remote stations and it's usually because they get an HSR which carries all the rescue gear, hence they lose their rescue trailer. Being remote they need something for backup which a LT can't do. I am possibly wrong so I'll do some asking around. ;)
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

still a good pic mate :)
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Spotted at Adventure World on Sunday.. Foam carrier from Freo (HEFC1).

TTL3 was also present.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Good shot Fastlane. HEFC means "High Expansion Foam Carrier".
I'll get some more pix up later tonight.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

chrissss wrote:looks like ther tryin to phase out the lt in some areas with 1.4s for some reason.

everyone ive talked to bar muchea is extremly happy with em except muchea i think theyve got hilly terrain abnd said they didnt have a choice:S but yer wer gettina new lt appretly this monday 8) so........ yeah

chris :wink:
Toyota has stopped making the cab-chassis used on the Light Tankers. That and the 1.4 costs not too much more than a light tanker, has double the water, more stowage and can carry an extra person.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Now for the 2.4 Broadacre. (2.4B)

Designed to basically "put the wet stuff on the hot (red) stuff". It doesn't come with breathing apparatus or any other super special gear.

Available in a single or crew cab configuration it's got 2000L of water and 4wd.

Single cab 2.4B from Napier North BFS, Albany. (Seen @ Porongorups fire, 2007)

Another single cab 2.4B, this time from Kendenup BFS, Plantagenet Shire. (Seen on the day of delivery to the Brigade.)

Single (not dual... :lol:) cab 2.4B from Middle Ward BFS, west of Mount Barker, Plantagenet Shire. (Seen @ VF&RS Easter Championships, North Fremantle, 2006) This appliance has been replaced by an Isuzu as the Hino had some stability problems.
Last edited by WPXZBP on Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

If I'm not mistaken, all of those pics are single cab Wes? Unless the 'dual cab' on the Hino is invisible? :lol:
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Fastlane wrote:If I'm not mistaken, all of those pics are single cab Wes? Unless the 'dual cab' on the Hino is invisible? :lol:
i was just thinkin the same thing...

in regards to the 14s so they are phasing the lts out???

chris