W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

wascanner wrote:-Are FESA still building new MPs?
To replace old ones I guess they would be.
wascanner wrote:-Also that 1.4 trial whats the buisness behind that. Its sounds like FESA is developing that is very good and a possible replacement for LTs and single cab GPAs and for brigades wanting something between an LT and 2.4 or medium tanker.
The 1.4 trial is to, I guess, trial the concept to see if it's a suitable appliance for the career staff. Maybe it will replace the light tankers, maybe they'll be spread around the metro area like the GPA/2.4s are now.

1.4s have been available for some time for BFS brigades. The 1.4 Rescue idea has been made for some Brigades without close-by rescue backup (eg Carnarvon) where they need to leave their main pump in town but still take rescue gear.

Single cab GPA's carry around 2000L and there are 2.4 Urban tankers out there that could do the direct swap.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

The 1.4 is good in principle though I dont believe that they are suitable for everyone. Buy the look of them they are very big compared to the LT and there is less ground clearance as well. I believe they can be utilised well though I dont they should be a replacement for all LT's, cause as we now how many times adoes the lt get into tight spots to stop a fire from spreading, getting through bollards and gates, and up those big hills. Not too mention they are great in the sand.

As I said, the 1.4 in principle can be a good thing as more water on the fire ground can be great and also what you said about leaving a pump in town for country stations but I dont think they are for everyone especially if they are to replace the lts with them. Just hope that FESA trial them properly and not rush into it.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

From what I've been hearing FESA are wanting to use the 1.4's to replace the FRS 2.4's, and this is one of the reasons why some FRS aren't so keen on the idea, from what I hear mostly because of lack of power. This is coming from a mate in FRS, not sure if the skeptisism on the performance of them is across the board or if it's definitely replacing the 2.4(.) Told him that Baldivis was happy with their 1.4's and didn't have a problem, with them so maybe they were getting better.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

That's it. We've had the 1.4 for almost 2 years now, and can't fault it.

it has a better take off than one of the light tankers, it's just as easy going off road as the LT's, with an extra 500L of water.

I'd rather have 2 more 1.4's than LT's :)
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Millsy wrote:That's it. We've had the 1.4 for almost 2 years now, and can't fault it.

it has a better take off than one of the light tankers, it's just as easy going off road as the LT's, with an extra 500L of water.

I'd rather have 2 more 1.4's than LT's :)
One catch for vol brigades is that you can't drive a 1.4 on a car license..
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

Gents,
Quick question these new urban tankers for Joondalup, Canning Vale and the other stations that have this appliance are they a 1.4 or a 2.4? I keep hearing on the radio when i'm on station calling off as a 2.4 but i thought they were a 1.4 as they were similair to what the new 1.4 hazmat/rescue were going to based off
Last edited by SmashedXR6T on Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

SmashedXR6T wrote:Gents,
Quick question these new urban tankers for Joondalup, Canning Vale and the other stations that have this appliance are they a 1.4 or a 2.4? I keep hearing on the radio when i'm on station calling off as a 2.4
They are 2.4s built specifically for staff to replace there ageing and current 2.4s

You can see some info on these tankers at ....
http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/?Men ... tentID=261

the new tankers for career staff are based on hino cabs
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Perth LRV takes the shape of a Mazda LP now.

P.S - It needs new lights, strobes [yuck!]
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

chrissss

Post by chrissss »

there is some information on here of the new 2.4s
based at malaga,joondalup and canningvale.
http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/?Men ... tentID=254
this is what they look like but in single cab hino with different specs, ie more foam a and b class,different pump etc.

my understanding of the new cfrs 1.4s are being made for a trial only and will be stationed at 2 stations one north and one south, i know where one is going from a reliable source,the 1.4s will be put in place of LTs just as a trial too see how they go,which i believe some cfrs arent happy about due to there size wieght speed etc in relation to the pump,which is faster stops quicker and has more gear on it in terms of rescue.and would much prefer staying with a LT, i think that they will station one NOR at a high sxrub fire area such as midland or something coz thats what they're doing down here.

my 2c
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

i know where one is going from a reliable source,
Chrisss can you say where you believe it is goin or is it classified????
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

chrissss wrote:there is some information on here of the new 2.4s
this is what they look like but in single cab hino with different specs, ie more foam a and b class,different pump etc.
They look alot different to this, particularly as they are using a pump mounted on the tray of the appliance coupled to a diesel motor, instead of live-drive PTO (for some reason, the career guys didn't want this).
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

Mukinbudin 3.4U

I had just finished servicing the truck.

I thought i had one of the Bonnie Rock 3.4R but cant find it.

Im not all that techinal with Fire Trucks, but this would be one of the Metro Trucks on Murry ST in the mall

chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Fastlane wrote:
chrissss wrote:there is some information on here of the new 2.4s
They look alot different to this, particularly as they are using a pump mounted on the tray of the appliance coupled to a diesel motor, instead of live-drive PTO (for some reason, the career guys didn't want this).
as i said fastlane, this is what they look like but different, in single cab hino with a different pump
jasonjag
Banned

Fesa Fire Fighting Training Unit

Post by jasonjag »

Today I was beside a 4 wheel drive vehicle on Tonkin Hwy and it was normal yellow colours and the sign writing sides and back said it was Fesa Fire Fighting Training Unit,, My camera Battery was flat, so could not get a pic of it.. jj