W.A Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

As seen at the WAVFRSA Easter Championships. (DO Metro - apologies!)
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

Tyranus wrote:DM Central has lost his toyota corolla type hatch and has gone for what looked like a Nissan X-trail or pathfinder. Either way it was a 4wd vehicle that was parked at the BP in East perth.
Saw this last Tuesday myself. Was leaving Perth Station up Irwin St. Very eyecatching in 'fire engine' red, Vector lightbar and new reflective striping. Must admit that i thought it had 'DM Central' on the door :?
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Confirmed that it is DM central and it is a nice new red nissan pathfinder.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Talk about a good guess...I'm a shocker when it comes to cars!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

Just a few questions about the Medium Pumpers.

1. I noticed that it has a capacity of 6. But does it need six crew?
2. Also i noticed that MPHRs, MPs4, MPs3 carry 4 Breathing Apparatus set. Why dont they have a BAs for 6 crew?
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

6 crew cant go in - there will be one BA control officer and the SO/senior firefighter waiting out. For rescue and communications purposes.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

wascanner wrote:Just a few questions about the Medium Pumpers.

1. I noticed that it has a capacity of 6. But does it need six crew?
2. Also i noticed that MPHRs, MPs4, MPs3 carry 4 Breathing Apparatus set. Why dont they have a BAs for 6 crew?
1. No but can be if needed. From memory in the city a shift will consist of a crew of 6 - 4 in the MP and 2 in the LT following. I might be wrong and would appreciate being corrected if I am. Down in Albany and I assume other regional career stations they have a crew of 4 - 2 in the MPHR and 2 in the LT.

2. Only 4 are used as the OIC (Officer In Charge) and the ECO (Entry Control Officer) don't go in. The ECO might also run the pump. The OIC does the management side of things, the ECO ensures that the guys in BA have replacements available, there's emergency crews ready etc. If more BA wearers are needed then extra crews will be called in.
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

WPXZBP wrote:Hazmat, Structural, Rescue appliances (HSR) are the other main replacement appliances for VFRS Mazda Light Pumpers. The old GPA (General Purpose Appliance) designation has been replaced by HSR. With an operating crew of six (6), it carries the necessary equipment to the fireground, where it can be used to pump water from the 1450L tank, open water and street mains. The vehicle is suitable for larger townsite protection, is capable of carrying Breathing Apparatus and is also an ideal support appliance for broadacre/rural/bush fire fighting. The HSR also carries rescue gear so can be used at vehicle accidents. It has a smaller pump than the Country Pumper (1850L/M @ 7 Bar) so it's not really suitable for boosting.

Dampier received the first HSR. A number of changes were made for subsequent HSRs.

Walpole VFRS received their HSR in 2007.
Just another question. But is the HSR replacing the GPA, or are FESA going to make a next gen GPA
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

The HSR is the current version of the GPA. What they replace the older GPAs with (eg Armadale, Rockingham & Secret Harbour VFRS') is uncertain but I would bet it would be the HSR or a Country Pumper appliance as they both seem to be FESA's favourites currently.

On a different note the career staff were trialling a 1.4 appliance earlier in the year and they have reactivated the team to develop the 1.4 Rescue appliance.
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

But when it comes to replacing single cab GPAs with HSRs do they have to recruit more perosnell to man the truck?
bomber
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by bomber »

WPXZBP wrote:The HSR is the current version of the GPA. What they replace the older GPAs with (eg Armadale, Rockingham & Secret Harbour VFRS') is uncertain but I would bet it would be the HSR or a Country Pumper appliance as they both seem to be FESA's favourites currently.

On a different note the career staff were trialling a 1.4 appliance earlier in the year and they have reactivated the team to develop the 1.4 Rescue appliance.
Wes,

There replacement would be with a HSR. The 4wd capability of the appliance is what gives them the calls. There is also the arguement that they dont need the pumping capacity of a country pump as they will generally always have the scanias there for the heavy pumping.

On a side note there would have to be talk of the older style HSR/GPA originals being replaced sooner than planned as all the metro ones have failed together with big work for all.
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

bomber wrote:On a side note there would have to be talk of the older style HSR/GPA originals being replaced sooner than planned as all the metro ones have failed together with big work for all.
Some stations needing more attention then others hey :lol:
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

bomber wrote:There replacement would be with a HSR. The 4wd capability of the appliance is what gives them the calls. There is also the arguement that they dont need the pumping capacity of a country pump as they will generally always have the scanias there for the heavy pumping.
Agreed 100% bomber. The CP has a higher rating on the pump than the HSR. The MPs have 1000L/min higher than the CP. (~3700L/min) No need to get such a high rating pump and being 4wd the HSR would be the best choice.
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

In regards to the question about staffing in Perth. There is only 3 FF's and 1 officer per vehicle unless they are up in numbers with which the spare FF will be in the back of Perth 1st as that appliance, being very old, can carry an extra 2 bodies so there will be 4 in the back seat. The new series 5 and MPHR has only 2 seats in the rear therefore can only carry 4 people.

Like most Career Pumps, if you see anyone riding in the back (other than perth) and you see no LT then they are doing training at FTC, and if there is a LT and people in the back then they are up in numbers.

All Fire crews like vols have a min of 4 for turning out. 2 BA wearers then an emergency crew, officer and Pump operator usually takes that role till back up arrives. Perth used to have 6 per Pump but with the number of FF's in perth decreasing, so have the numbers in the pump.

hope this helps

Hope that helps
wascanner

Post by wascanner »

another few questions.

-Are FESA still building new MPs?

-Also that 1.4 trial whats the buisness behind that. Its sounds like FESA is developing that is very good and a possible replacement for LTs and single cab GPAs and for brigades wanting something between an LT and 2.4 or medium tanker.