Tracking of Fire Appliances

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

yogibear88

Tracking of Fire Appliances

Post by yogibear88 »

Is there any way you can extract the GPS tail that is sent after a transmission on the 6IP/6AR network by using a SDR (Software Defined Radio)

Thats if they still send the GPS location of the appliance over the radio
yorky

Re: Tracking of Fire Appliances

Post by yorky »

Not sure how, but it depends if the radios have the feature enabled or not. It's also possible the feature is enabled but the GPS isn't actually attached.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
yogibear88

Post by yogibear88 »

was just wondering as i heard comcen saying that they can see where midland and kiara when they were trying to find a fire in midland
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

They use the MDTs for that.

The data burst on the analogue voice channels is a GPS position in a proprietary Tait format.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

It's been a while since I've logged on, but as far as SES/WAERN radios go, the GPS antennas are plugged in and working.

We can also have a co-ordinate readout displayed on the vehicle radio's display, but we generally use handheld 'hiking' type GPS units like the Garmin e-trex 10, etc for that, so its basically never used.

The tail is quite indeed in a proprietary tait format. I have not been able to decode it using my SDR, but I'll try again when I get my Hack RF soon, as it is much more sensitive, and has a higher sample rate.
WASES CSU
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

roland985 wrote:It's been a while since I've logged on, but as far as SES/WAERN radios go, the GPS antennas are plugged in and working.

We can also have a co-ordinate readout displayed on the vehicle radio's display.
I've had mixed success with the GPS functionality in WAERN radios. It's a bit of a lottery as to whether pressing F2 gives you an actual position or just lots of zeroes :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

Oh, yeah, and I also forgot.

Check for an older operational circular.

States that the radios co-ordinate display may freeze, and not provide updated co-ordinates.
WASES CSU
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

roland985 wrote:Oh, yeah, and I also forgot.

Check for an older operational circular.

States that the radios co-ordinate display may freeze, and not provide updated co-ordinates.
Yep, I'm familiar with that circular. This isn't "freezing" as such this is "just doesn't work at all".

We tend not to bother with the GPS functionality of the radios, we can usually see where we need to be - it's all the stuff that's hot and glowing red :)

It is very dark.
xr8edute

Post by xr8edute »

We find the gps feature very handy at mva's and giving the rescue chopper exact coordinates.
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zebedee »

xr8edute wrote:We find the gps feature very handy at mva's and giving the rescue chopper exact coordinates.
Yep that would be quite useful!

It is very dark.
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Post by slipknot »

I always thought the MDT's work over cellular? is there a separate frequency for these is there?
matth2004
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH

Post by matth2004 »

Yeh they operate similar to the pagers afaik.
Matt
VK6MAH
TROAM

Post by TROAM »

Some changes happening very soon. We have 12 vehicles fitted with pinpoint tracking systems and they work very well(apart from draining the battery on trucks not fitted with battery isolation switches.). Takes about 2-3 weeks of no vehicle use before you get an email notification with a low battery warning. Currently installing small solar panels to trickle charge the vehicles and plant that sit idle until we get a call out

The only issue is that the sim cards are not roaming SIM's and are network fixed(Unless this ability has changed in the last couple of weeks)

http://www.pinpointcomms.com.au/news/bl ... -it-counts
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Hmm. So it's mobile based. Isn't mobile infrastructure the first to go out during really big fires?
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
TROAM

Post by TROAM »

vk6hgr wrote:Hmm. So it's mobile based. Isn't mobile infrastructure the first to go out during really big fires?
Yes mobile based however we have 2 vehicles in remote locations that have a sat module that is fitted. No need for mobile coverage. Lets see what options get rolled out ;)

Units also have an internal "blackbox" where data is stored then uploaded to the network if the vehicle goes out of coverage then returns. They are also near impossible to jam/block unlike the old pinpoint units where you could unplug the antenna and not get a vehicle location.

Ours are not setup for location alerts however have panic/emergency buttons, remote unlock and lock. you can have a max of 3 input/outputs. Also standard is overspeed alerts, vehicle rollover, driver behaviour(i.e. it can tell how hard you brake and plant your foot on the throttle etc). geofencing is also a good one as we can set alerts if a vehicle or plant moves from a location. notifications come both via email and text message. I know of one local council in WA where if the vehicle drives more than 10kms outside of the LGA a warning buzzer goes off and will not turn off until it returns to the geofenced area.

Can't say any more about it but will be interesting to see how things progress