DFES scanning

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Farmerjack

DFES scanning

Post by Farmerjack »

Thanks for the site.
I've been using scanner radio to monitor 6AR during fire events and I was hoping to buy a handheld to let me listen in on any local action. I live 25 km north of yanchep in a semi rural area where fire risk can be pretty high.
The reading I have done has posed a few questions.
Would a scanner give me much more info than what I hear thru the stream, given the use of phones and CAD I've read about.
Is the DFESGoing digital soon? Should this influence my scanner choice?
Any recommendations on handhelds to be used mainly for DFES? ( maybe around $250)
Cheers
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Re: DFES scanning

Post by meg »

Hi FarmerJack

The main differences you'll find are that with a radio scanner, you (may) be able to pick up local fireground frequencies for any fires that are close to your location. Also you'll be able to take it with you without consuming data on your phone.

There's always talk that fire services will go digital encrypted, I don't know that it's really getting closer to actually happening though.

I have a couple of old Uniden scanners which still perform very well. I can't speak to their current models (or other brands) as I've not used them. It's useful to make sure it has a removeable antenna so that you can attach it to a larger antenna at your house or in your car should you wish.

Prestige Comms have a range of them
http://www.prestigecom.net.au/Uniden-Scanners

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Just buy a decent quality commercial portable and program in the frequencies as RX only. VHF and UHF is all you need, beats the audio quality of a scanner any day....
Farmerjack

Post by Farmerjack »

Raptor wrote:Just buy a decent quality commercial portable and program in the frequencies as RX only. VHF and UHF is all you need, beats the audio quality of a scanner any day....
Thanks for the info guys, sorry to sound stoopid, but what do you mean when you say commercial portable? Any suggestions on makes or models?
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Raptor is (unfortunately) suggesting you purchase a radio which you don't have a license to operate. Should the ACMA catch you, you'll be fined and the radio confiscated.

Just get a scanner. An antenna upgrade will improve reception no end.

matth2004
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH

Post by matth2004 »

You could pop onto one of the foundation courses and get your license, then you shouldn't have an issue with owning one of those radios (while licensed).
Matt
VK6MAH
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

matth2004 wrote:You could pop onto one of the foundation courses and get your license, then you shouldn't have an issue with owning one of those radios (while licensed).
Right on the money Matt and exactly what I suggest, takes a couple days to get your ham ticket.

Meg, there are many ways to skin a cat, I have several ACMA frequency pairs allocated and have worked in the industry for 15years. What the ACMA is concerned about(and rightfully so) is people programming their gear for TX and using gear that is not type approved for use in Australia which causes massive issues to licenced users.....
meg

Post by meg »

Matth - you are correct that FarmerJack could do the foundation radio course and then have a license to use some frequencies, however looking at the ACMA and Ham College websites, that would be $184 spent before buying a radio :-)

Raptor, whilst they don't actively check every purchase of equipment, the ACMA can and do fine and confiscate for possessing equipment capable of TX outside your license. Having an AR license in this case would only condemn you further with them as you would be considered to be well aware that you were in violation of the Radiocommunications Act.

I think you've both overcomplicated a simple request for information on a <$250 handheld scanner for RX...

FarmerJack, if you're interested in getting a licence so you can transmit on a radio, please feel free to head to the Amateur Radio subforum where there a bunch of people who can help you out who don't neccesarily follow the DFES forum.
http://warsug.info/viewforum.php?f=9

For what you've described however, a scanner will suit you well.

Raptor

Post by Raptor »

meg wrote:Raptor, whilst they don't actively check every purchase of equipment, the ACMA can and do fine and confiscate for possessing equipment capable of TX outside your license. Having an AR license in this case would only condemn you further with them as you would be considered to be well aware that you were in violation of the Radiocommunications Act.
Meg, OK no problem, I respect your view, mine is different based on experience in a previous life however I'm not here to argue... Best advice for anyone is if ever in doubt is to speak directly to the ACMA and ask for a compliance officer to answer any questions you have. They will usually email if you request it.
meg wrote:I think you've both overcomplicated a simple request for information on a <$250 handheld scanner for RX...
Maybe :) Once you hear the audio from a decent quality commercial radio that is not a Uniden scanner; you will never go back to using a "scanner".
meg

Post by meg »

Raptor wrote:I'm not here to argue...
Nor am I Raptor, but you keep on managing to miss the point which is principally that what you are suggesting is in contravention of the Radiocomms Act and potentially would leave anyone following your advice open to legal action. The take-home here is that the WARSUG admins don't like to recommend people act illegally, and you may also want to consider whether it's a really useful thing for you to do on a public forum also.
Raptor wrote:Maybe :) Once you hear the audio from a decent quality commercial radio that is not a Uniden scanner; you will never go back to using a "scanner".
I'm not disagreeing with you on this, but again the OP has asked for recommendations up to $250 and I think it will be difficult to find a decent commercial unit, plus programming, for that amount.

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

Raptor wrote:Maybe Once you hear the audio from a decent quality commercial radio that is not a Uniden scanner; you will never go back to using a "scanner".
Rubbish. Any decent reciever (yes, Unidens are common, but decent) is fine.

What you suggest isn't very legal or a good idea.
WASES CSU
meg

Post by meg »

There's a 3 page thread in the CB sub-forum on (more or less) this topic, and I'll use Zebedee's quote from the relevant Act:
Radiocommunications Act 1992 wrote:47 Unlawful possession of radiocommunications devices

(1) Subject to section 49, a person must not have a radiocommunications device in his or her possession for the purpose of operating the device otherwise than as authorised by:
(a) a spectrum licence; or
(b) an apparatus licence; or
(c) a class licence.

Penalty:
(a) if the radiocommunications device is a radiocommunications transmitter:
(i) if the offender is an individual—imprisonment for 2 years; or
(ii) otherwise—1,500 penalty units; or
(b) if the radiocommunications device is not a radiocommunications transmitter—20 penalty units.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the person has a reasonable excuse.

Note: A defendant bears an evidential burden in relation to the matter in subsection (2) (see subsection 13.3(3) of the Criminal Code).

48 Additional provisions about possession of radiocommunications devices

(1) Without limiting section 47, a person is taken, for the purposes of that section, to have a radiocommunications device in his or her possession for the purpose of operation if it is in his or her possession, otherwise than for the purpose of supply to another person, and can be operated merely by doing one or more of the following:
(a) connecting the device to an electric power supply by means of an electric plug or other electrical connection;
(b) connecting a microphone to the device by inserting a microphone plug into the device;
(c) switching on the device;
(d) switching on any other equipment relevant to the device’s operation;
(e) adjusting settings by manipulating the device’s external switches, dials or other controls;
(f) connecting the device to an antenna.

(2) Subsection (1) only applies in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.

(3) A reference in this Division to a person having a radiocommunications device in his or her possession includes a reference to the person having it under control in any place whatever, whether for the use or benefit of that person or another person, and although another person has the actual possession or custody of it.

Farmerjack

Post by Farmerjack »

Thanks all for the info, I would not have known any of that stuff otherwise. I'll start with a scanner and see how keen I get.
meg

Post by meg »

Yep, it's a trap for many to buy one of the cheap Chinese radios and find out later its illegal to use.

Just a word on the Uniden EZI30xlt (happened to have played with one today) - the included antenna is really poor, get a better one though and it works fine.

roland985
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden EZI30XLT Scanner.
Bearcat UBC355XLT

Post by roland985 »

Yep. $15 scantenna on ebay, and that little unit works really, really well.
WASES CSU