Deliberate radio interference

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Deliberate radio interference

Post by Zebedee »

An article in today's West Australian reports on the deliberate interference being caused on the DFES radio network during last weekend's bushfires.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/2 ... s-at-risk/

I think several people on this forum heard it - there was mention of it in another thread.

If anyone has any information that could help track down the people responsible, please call the Police. For example, if you could hear their transmissions loud and clear on the repeater's input frequency, chances are they were close to you. If you recognise the voices, or anything else that's identifiable, I'm sure the Police would love to know about it.

People transmitting over emergency services networks -- especially during a serious incident like that -- clearly put lives and property at risk and it can't be allowed to happen.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Wannabee
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by Wannabee »

I think a big factor of how this occurs is the fact that over the years so many vollies especially BFB have acquired these radios for there vehicles and homes for there own gratification. These radios are used illegally by some who have nothing better to do with there lives. Also These radios then become more accessible to other family members especially kids who may or may not understand the consequences of these actions. It could have also been a deliberate attempt to cause disruption by an ex or disgruntled vollie. It's not much different to when they light the fires but we won't get started on that.........

vk6ngs
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 pm
Amateur callsign: vk6ngs
Scanners and Receivers: FTDX-3000 IC-7100 Radio shack dx-394 AOR AR8600MK2 AOR AR8200D

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by vk6ngs »

I could hear them in kwinana s9-s10.Its was a recording that ive heard being played on 146.700.

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2595
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:33 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by vk6hgr »

I hope they catch whoever was doing this. It was a tremendously irresponsible thing to do.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Posts: 1056
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:56 pm
Location: Everywhere

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by Helitak_670 »

FYI it was ch 238

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by Zebedee »

vk6ngs wrote:I could hear them in kwinana s9-s10.Its was a recording that ive heard being played on 146.700.
Was that on the input frequency?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by Zebedee »

And if the radio interference wasn't enough, the Gosnells SES and BFB now have to deal with cars being torched, fire appliances being broken into and their building broken into and trashed.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/2084 ... s-complex/
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

vk6ngs
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 pm
Amateur callsign: vk6ngs
Scanners and Receivers: FTDX-3000 IC-7100 Radio shack dx-394 AOR AR8600MK2 AOR AR8200D

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by vk6ngs »

Zebedee wrote:
vk6ngs wrote:I could hear them in kwinana s9-s10.Its was a recording that ive heard being played on 146.700.
Was that on the input frequency?
I was picking it up on several freq.What is the input and i can tell you??

Nedwos
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:45 pm
Location: Kalgoorlie, WA
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by Nedwos »

Wannabee wrote:I think a big factor of how this occurs is the fact that over the years so many vollies especially BFB have acquired these radios for there vehicles and homes for there own gratification. These radios are used illegally by some who have nothing better to do with there lives. Also These radios then become more accessible to other family members especially kids who may or may not understand the consequences of these actions. It could have also been a deliberate attempt to cause disruption by an ex or disgruntled vollie. It's not much different to when they light the fires but we won't get started on that.........
This was on the new WAERN channel mainly (Ch238 as previously mentioned) so i doubt that Vollies and BFB could have taken some of these radios home just yet... I don't think they had the CTCSS freq as you could only really hear it when people were trying to transmit... Which means i am guessing that they could have just been using the cheap ebay radio specials with the frequencies programmed into it!

matth2004
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by matth2004 »

It was crystal clear without others trying to transmit from my memory - I wish I had a recording though.

WAERN isn't that new. It's been around for at least 3.5 years now.
Matt
VK6MAH

vk6ngs
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 pm
Amateur callsign: vk6ngs
Scanners and Receivers: FTDX-3000 IC-7100 Radio shack dx-394 AOR AR8600MK2 AOR AR8200D

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by vk6ngs »

I got a phone call today from the ACMA regarding the interference.Could knocked me over when they said This is the ACMA can we speak to Grant.Not that i mind but if someone is going pass on my name and call to them pls let me know.Cheers Grant

matth2004
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6MAH
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by matth2004 »

vk6ngs wrote:I got a phone call today from the ACMA regarding the interference.Could knocked me over when they said This is the ACMA can we speak to Grant.Not that i mind but if someone is going pass on my name and call to them pls let me know.Cheers Grant
More than likely they would have read your post then looked up your callsign.
Matt
VK6MAH

vk6ngs
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 pm
Amateur callsign: vk6ngs
Scanners and Receivers: FTDX-3000 IC-7100 Radio shack dx-394 AOR AR8600MK2 AOR AR8200D

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by vk6ngs »

matth2004 wrote:
vk6ngs wrote:I got a phone call today from the ACMA regarding the interference.Could knocked me over when they said This is the ACMA can we speak to Grant.Not that i mind but if someone is going pass on my name and call to them pls let me know.Cheers Grant
More than likely they would have read your post then looked up your callsign.
I think the ACMA have got better things 2 do than be checking post,s on websites.And my licence doest have my mobile number listed on it.Someone in here that knows me and my mobile number passed it on.I dont mind talking them just would have liked a heads up and been asked can i pass your details on.

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 3040
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Amateur callsign: VK6DB
Location: Perth
Contact:

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by Zebedee »

vk6ngs wrote:Someone in here that knows me and my mobile number passed it on.I dont mind talking them just would have liked a heads up and been asked can i pass your details on.
Did you put your mobile number on your ACMA (green) form when you applied for your callsign? I would suspect that the ACMA has found out that you'd heard something about the naughty transmissions and have taken steps to make sure they knew how to contact you.

(In my mind, this is a GOOD thing as obviously the ACMA are taking this seriously...)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

vk6ngs
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:04 pm
Amateur callsign: vk6ngs
Scanners and Receivers: FTDX-3000 IC-7100 Radio shack dx-394 AOR AR8600MK2 AOR AR8200D

Re: Deliberate radio interference

Post by vk6ngs »

Zebedee wrote:
vk6ngs wrote:Someone in here that knows me and my mobile number passed it on.I dont mind talking them just would have liked a heads up and been asked can i pass your details on.
Did you put your mobile number on your ACMA (green) form when you applied for your callsign? I would suspect that the ACMA has found out that you'd heard something about the naughty transmissions and have taken steps to make sure they knew how to contact you.

(In my mind, this is a GOOD thing as obviously the ACMA are taking this seriously...)
No my mobile number isnt on record with the ACMA.Ive got no problems telling them what i heard ect.Just would been nice 2 be told my details are being handed over 2 the ACMA.From what i was told if they catch them they are going have the book thrown at them.On that day i heard a dozen calls for help house on fire and the comms ppl couldnt hear them over the interference.Id say at least some those houses burnt because they couldnt get air support or other help because they couldnt get thru.

Post Reply