WA Air support for NSW fires

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

WA Air support for NSW fires

Post by colin »

I was asked today for my thoughts on why some of the WA air support is not tasked to help out in NSW.

I mumbled some crap about exposure here, and perhaps, maybe the airspace above the fires might get to crowded.

Is anyone in a position to answer this question authoritatively, and if so, would they please share the answer?
Colin.
auntys_eyes

Re: WA Air support for NSW fires

Post by auntys_eyes »

Oddly enough, whilst watching 10 News tonight (Wed 23rd) I thought I saw vision from NSW, of the McDermott Aviation Bell 214 that has been recently featured on this site as Helitac 672. I swear it was doing a drop in the Blue Mountains with the number 672 on the tail boom (as pictured).
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

There are two parts to this:
1. I've seen 673 on numerous video clips on the news. Probably being utilised prior to its WA contract, but you could say that it's a WA asset being utilised (the media probably would)

2. We already have heaps! In terms of air assets, NSW has something like 80-90 aircraft on active duty currently. I think there are additional contract aircraft that haven't been called up yet also. I'd say some of the aircraft working are likely to be Victorian NAFC machines as well, makes more sense than a transit from WA.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Helitak 671 N49732, 672 N234PH, 674 N216PJ, 676 N217PJ are all in QLD at the moment, so no doubt they have been sent down to NSW as these are from the NAFC which co-ordinate aerial suppression. In saying this 672 is currently at Jandakot, and not too sure if it is still there or not as I have not been down there of recent times.

Also for the fact that our aircraft are only "contracted" for certain times of the year, and there is training requirements etc. You also have to realise that the radios used for fire fighting are different for each state and territory, so there is another issue of sourcing the radios, then fitting them into the helicopter/aircraft. This causes an issue as then you have to get an engineering order to fit them, and also time out of service to fit the radio, coax cable, antenna etc.

I hope that answers your question.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

Helitak_670 wrote:Helitak 671 N49732, 672 N234PH, 674 N216PJ, 676 N217PJ are all in QLD at the moment, so no doubt they have been sent down to NSW as these are from the NAFC which co-ordinate aerial suppression. In saying this 672 is currently at Jandakot, and not too sure if it is still there or not as I have not been down there of recent times.

Also for the fact that our aircraft are only "contracted" for certain times of the year, and there is training requirements etc. You also have to realise that the radios used for fire fighting are different for each state and territory, so there is another issue of sourcing the radios, then fitting them into the helicopter/aircraft. This causes an issue as then you have to get an engineering order to fit them, and also time out of service to fit the radio, coax cable, antenna etc.

I hope that answers your question.
There are Currently 83 Aircraft undertaking fire fighting operations in NSW. If someone PM's me with an email address, I can send a complete list(rego, Aircraft, type, task, district etc)

Of these, listed are the active Helitac units 673, 430, 731, 226, 238, 475, 271, 277, 335, 220, 205, 217, 404, 732, 267, 334, 227, 333, 231, 225, 422, 294

Radios are actually not too much of an issue, they are all fitted up when contracted. Problem is that there is a large amount of talkgroups and aircraft are using both the GRN, PMR and aircraft freq's which is an obvious issue with 0 visibility from the smoke.
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

Thanks for the info guys.

Interesting that there is not a modular setup for changing radios and aerials considering that they are only contracted.

Anyway, probably a lot of radio engineering that I don't know about that impacts on that.

Solutions suggested by the ignorant are often over simplified :-)
Colin.
Raptor

Post by Raptor »

colin wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

Interesting that there is not a modular setup for changing radios and aerials considering that they are only contracted.
There is a solution to pretty much any installation. Some more difficult than others. Difficulties arise on some birds that are only used for a few days. In those cases a transportable case is used instead of fixed gear. Below is an example of one that is just about to get installed this afternoon

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

That's rather cool :)
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.