DFES digital

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

interference

DFES digital

Post by interference »

Hi all,
:oops:
Last edited by interference on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
auntys_eyes

Re: DFES digital

Post by auntys_eyes »

Given the fact that DFES haven't yet finished implementing the WAERN system, I doubt they will be considering the move to digital radios for primary communications any time soon.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
interference

Post by interference »

Last edited by interference on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

interference wrote:My info was they want it up and running in the next 12 months for career members only. Volly's will continue to use WAERN.
Considering the Volunteers and Careers use the same communication system, and need to use the same communication system, that frankly sounds like a crock!

Volunteers and Careers continually work on the same fire ground and need to communicate with each other in these situations (which is not possible when one group of vehicles is on digital frequencies, and the other on analogue).
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
interference

Post by interference »

Last edited by interference on Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

interference wrote:Digital for command channels, WAERN for incident control.
And where is this info coming from?
Nathan Fenn

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

sounds like someone is blowing smoke where it shouldn't go

would never work being on 2 different radios, they wont leave analogue radios in the career boys truck just to communicate with the vollies.
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
interference

Post by interference »

OK, no worries. We can always come back to this later.
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

interference wrote:OK, no worries. We can always come back to this later.
Why? What's wrong with discussing it now?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

interference wrote:OK, no worries. We can always come back to this later.
Zebedee wrote:Why? What's wrong with discussing it now?
I agree, you want to make the statement - back it up.
Nathan Fenn

observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

From what I have heard is that trials were conducted using digital UHF radios. I believe the aim is that these will be introduced in the metro area by the end of the year. Weather thsi is career only or includes Volies, who knows.
interference

Post by interference »

This is clearly an agressive forum full of negative people trying to flame members. Apparently I am blowing smoke and my info is a crock so rather than discuss when and who will be going digital, I'd rather let you ignorant members work it out yourself. I am surprised anyone participates in this forum with the unmoderated offensive behaviour.
fosterglen

Post by fosterglen »

From what I have been told by a friend at dfes Cockburn they are really happy with how it is working for them but!!,there is a lot of work to be done as the digital they are currently using is UHF so it would mean a completely new repeater/trunking setup but would still have to leave the waern radios in there trucks for multi agency fires. they are talking about trying to piggyback of the Wapol network but they don't think it will be able to cope with the extra traffic. Unfortunately this was an after thought on waern and they can not adapt that system to work for what they need which in the end means big buck spent on another system were those funds could have been put to better use had they thought of this while designing waern
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

I was surprised they didn't go to a digital trunking network with WAERN in the beginning, also. Sucks for us listerners, but it makes a lot of sense to do so.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

interference wrote:This is clearly an agressive forum full of negative people trying to flame members. Apparently I am blowing smoke and my info is a crock so rather than discuss when and who will be going digital, I'd rather let you ignorant members work it out yourself. I am surprised anyone participates in this forum with the unmoderated offensive behaviour.
No, the only 'crock' here is that when someone asks you to back up a statement, you get all snippy about it. The request seemed reasonable - it's something new, it's something that perhaps people who work for or are associated with the emergency services haven't heard a whiff of before. Of course they're going to ask for more information.

I don't see any aggression, I don't see any negativity, I only see people asking you to justify and back up your claims. If you can't handle that, then maybe this isn't the forum for you. We generally don't "do" wild and unsubstantiated rumours around here.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.