Bassendean VFRS

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Bassendean VFRS

Post by philby »

Last edited by philby on Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nafenn

Re: Bassendean VFRS

Post by Nafenn »

philby wrote:hey gang.
Just to let you know Bassendean VFRS will have its registration cancelled on the 1st October or sooner and will no longer exist.
I expect the same will be done with Guildford VFRS.
The plan is to start a new VFRS Brigade at Forrest-field Training Academy.

A lot of members are unhappy about the move but what can you do?

Stay Safe and I'll see you on the fire ground.

Phil
Well this is going to make tonight's meeting interesting to say the least.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

That's absolutely shocking!!! How can DFES turn it's back on SO much history and heritage :roll: . I had heard a rumour of a possible ammalgamation and move to the old Midland Fire Station when the WAERN project moved out. Where on earth at Forrestfield Academy would they house an operating VFRS brigade to provide 24/7 access and turn-out capacity??
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

auntys_eyes wrote:That's absolutely shocking!!! How can DFES turn it's back on SO much history and heritage :roll: . I had heard a rumour of a possible ammalgamation and move to the old Midland Fire Station when the WAERN project moved out. Where on earth at Forrestfield Academy would they house an operating VFRS brigade to provide 24/7 access and turn-out capacity??
The meeting was run by the Assistant Commissioner of DFES and 2 other senior staff members. From memory, what was said was:

- both Bassendean and Guilford WILL be closed on the 1st of October 2013, with the new brigade in Forrestfield being formed shortly after. The reasoning was that there has been need for these specific brigades to remain as both brigades have been used as state resources in recent times anyway. All other VFRS brigades in the metro area retain a turnout area of their own at this time.
- Guilford station is heritage listed, Bassendean is not - no decision has been made as to the future of the buildings at this time.
- the brigade will be run by the DFES Perms that run the Training Centre
- the brigade will be housed in a temp building near applied training until a more suitable building can be built at the centre.
- the brigade will be a state resource, and will not have a primary turnout role. As such they will primarily be used for crew replacement at large incidents, or as a strike force intrastate.
- the Bassendean/Guildford running teams may stay separated if the brigades wish.
- Training and station access will not be available 24/7 - the brigade will have to work in with the schedule of the training centre and book training nights (with obvious exceptions for incidents)
- The brigade will have access to all the vehicles at the training centre with the entire crews being trained on selected vehicles, and then selected members will be trained on other vehicles (Ie: Scania pumps)
- It was said that the history and memorabilia of both brigades will be retained, and eventually displayed, as that is over 100 years of awards.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!