Social media and emergencies

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Social media and emergencies

Post by Zebedee »

Came across this article on the ABC website today about the role that social media plays during a fire, flood, or other emergency.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/201 ... 635725.htm

A spokesman from the SA Country Fire Service says that social media offers some extra benefits than sending out alerts via the normal broadcast media that we're used to. He used the example of the recent fire that was listed as being in Port Lincoln in the media but over social media a more precise location of Sleaford Bay near Tulka.

It's well worth a read and while the article focuses on things like Facebook and Twitter, the things mentioned also apply just as much to our little forum ;) Our Major Fires threads, one for structural and one for bushfires are yet another way that people can share information on what's going on in Perth and WA with regards to bushfires.

What do you all think?
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Social media and emergencies

Post by Helitak_670 »

WA does not "have the funds" ie able to employee a extra few people to keep up with the alerts on the DFES website or go into social media, yet apparently we are ahead of the other states "from the MLO" on Saturdays brief. Personally I think it is a joke the lack of social media from DFES. We are increasingly becoming tech savy and info hungry for things like this. The RFS, CFA, CFS all do a great job, and also have apps for apple and android products.
arrived66
Scanners and Receivers: Vehicle installed UBC73XLT

Post by arrived66 »

Provided you have data coverage, social media (particularly twitter) is a great way of getting a mass message out. The main drawback is probably that only a certain age demographic is using it. The delay until an official message gets out is often quite long, I think it would be great if the official source issued twitter messages like "scrub fire reported in vicinity of <ROAD>, <SUBURB>, more details to follow..."

IMHO the ACT has one of the best systems, you can get a live web-based map of all incidents currently occurring in the state as soon as the incident is reported, even if appliances are only en-route.

With the low-cost of technology these days, I reckon a great system for people who live in bushfire prone areas would be to have a small web-based LCD screen in their living area which interfaces with a system like what the ACT has. You could set the screen so that it lights up/plays a chime etc whenever an incident occurs that meets certain parameters, e.g. has to be in certain post code, be a certain type of incident (e.g fire but not hazmat or MVA). That way, on hot days when the curtains are closed and the A/C is up people would have immediate knowledge of what's going on and can start to take appropriate precautions.

By the way, are there standard twitter hashtags used for fires in WA? I saw quite a few different ones during the Margaret River fires...
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

What's a hash tag?
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
yorky

Post by yorky »

#warsug etc so searches are made easier. Mainly just a search tag.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
meg
Amateur callsign: VK6LUX
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

Helitak_670 wrote:WA does not "have the funds" ie able to employee a extra few people to keep up with the alerts on the DFES website or go into social media, yet apparently we are ahead of the other states "from the MLO" on Saturdays brief. Personally I think it is a joke the lack of social media from DFES.
I agree, particularly as the DFES website melts down every time there is a decent sized fire, and thus there is no "official" source of communication online. I email them every year complaining about this, but nothing gets done. It's incredibly frustrating.

WARSUG is a much more accurate and reliable source of information than DFES as it turns out

WARSUG FESA and Scanning Special Events moderator
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

meg wrote: I agree, particularly as the DFES website melts down every time there is a decent sized fire
Technically speaking, they have the same problems that Clickfrenzy site had. Their site is database driven and they seem to self-host over their corporate Internet link without using distributed caching to help with load.

They desperately need their alerts and warnings pages plotted on a map. Where the heck is "the Midwest Gascoyne" region?? The site and warnings pages are rarely updated during events - usually only before and after.

A reflection of the ongoing tiff between DEC and DFES is that the DFES and DEC sites only contain information about fires they're responsible for. (If I see a great wall of smoke I don't give two sticks whether it's a DEC or DFES managed fire!!). From the DEC website, "DEC issues alerts for fires on DEC managed land or where DEC is the agency managing the incident"

Although DFES do have a Twitter feed which scrapes from the alerts and warnings RSS feed but it's all "be prepared", "BOM has issued a weather advisory" stuff. It's very hard to filter by area of interest as they sometimes use BOM regions, occasionally DFES regions, sometimes local government areas...
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

On a related note, how to DEC units get called out to their fires? I've never heard any sort of 6AR-like dispatch on their channels.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
meg
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu: FT990, FT857, FT7800, VX7R. Icom: ID800H. Old RS scanner.

Post by meg »

vk6hgr wrote: Technically speaking, they have the same problems that Clickfrenzy site had. Their site is database driven and they seem to self-host over their corporate Internet link without using distributed caching to help with load.
Yes, but this has been going on for years and the same thing happens every time there's a decent sized fire - several times every summer. They've had time to actually do something about this, but they seem hellbent on straining their internal infrastructure under the load rather than admitting they can't deliver what's required in-house. Their IT people are not doing them or the people potentially affected by fire any favors.

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

meg wrote: Their IT people are not doing them or the people potentially affected by fire any favors.
Well I look on jobs WA every so often and they rarely hire. If they want to second someone reasonable out of Education one day... well, I know someone. hehe.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

vk6hgr wrote:On a related note, how to DEC units get called out to their fires? I've never heard any sort of 6AR-like dispatch on their channels.

DEC calls are all made from their office to there fire crews, once they have there trucks comms is again from units to office. from what i have heard lately DEC setup is 1000x better than DFES.

and as well as if out of area or range their ICV will the be the next best thing =)
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
meg

Post by meg »

vk6hgr wrote: Well I look on jobs WA every so often and they rarely hire. If they want to second someone reasonable out of Education one day... well, I know someone. hehe.
They'd be lucky to get you Gavin, but the reality is they think they're doing ok.

The last time I complained about it they told me to check their Twitter feed instead. So record keeping, accountability and all else goes out the window as they are too bound up with hosting internally on a system that clearly can't handle the peak demands - and I believe its the type of service that has to be designed to handle those demands. People got upset about ClickFrenzy which was just a sale - this is about people's lives and property.

Anyway, that's my rant, as you can see this is a hot topic for me ;-)

auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

There is a community fire page on Facebook for the Darlington area and surrounding districts that is quite active. Soon as people see/smell smoke, hear the helicopters or see/hear fire appliances people start discussions and give info and updates. Some members of the group are members of local VBFBs and correct misinformation, provide answers and use the page to promote community awareness info.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/212963908776791/
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
SgtSeedy
Scanners and Receivers: 6AR
6IP
Ch11 (DEC)

Post by SgtSeedy »

vk6hgr wrote:On a related note, how to DEC units get called out to their fires? I've never heard any sort of 6AR-like dispatch on their channels.
vk6hgr wrote:
meg wrote: I agree, particularly as the DFES website melts down every time there is a decent sized fire
Technically speaking, they have the same problems that Clickfrenzy site had. Their site is database driven and they seem to self-host over their corporate Internet link without using distributed caching to help with load.

They desperately need their alerts and warnings pages plotted on a map. Where the heck is "the Midwest Gascoyne" region?? The site and warnings pages are rarely updated during events - usually only before and after.

A reflection of the ongoing tiff between DEC and DFES is that the DFES and DEC sites only contain information about fires they're responsible for. (If I see a great wall of smoke I don't give two sticks whether it's a DEC or DFES managed fire!!). From the DEC website, "DEC issues alerts for fires on DEC managed land or where DEC is the agency managing the incident"

Although DFES do have a Twitter feed which scrapes from the alerts and warnings RSS feed but it's all "be prepared", "BOM has issued a weather advisory" stuff. It's very hard to filter by area of interest as they sometimes use BOM regions, occasionally DFES regions, sometimes local government areas...
Wrong on two accounts. When DEC issues fire warnings, communication is relayed to DFES and it is there responsibility to upload the warning on the DFES website. Very rarely, if not ever, do you see a warning on the DEC website that isn't on the DFES Warnings page.

DEC Dispatching system is extremely efficient with Direct contact made with crew members by phone for turn out, once trucks are crewed turn out messages are given to the relevant work center or office. Want to have a listen? tune in to #645 HB on the weekend and you will hear it all. In some cases DEC is first arriving at jobs ahead of volunteers...

and the 'on-going tiff' between DEC and DFES these days is slowly being eliminated but seems to always be hampered by people's misinformed comments about each agency or incidents. The communication between DEC and DFES is much better than most people think and if the proper information isn't getting out to the general public about incidents then DFES, as WA's lead fire agency are solely responsible for this.
Last edited by SgtSeedy on Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Thanks for clarifying, SgtSeedy.

I've since been told that DFES' website doesn't have all DEC incidents on it as they remove them regularly, whereas DEC leave them there.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR