Fire tone out

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Fitzyyy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden Bearcat ubcd396xt

Fire tone out

Post by Fitzyyy »

Both the ubcd396t and xt models have a feature called tone out mode which searches a frequency for 2 tone sequential/single/group paging tones. I tried doing a tone out search on a number of FESA freqs but with no luck. I'm just wondering if this feature will actually work here in Perth or if it's more suited to American fire departments?
yorky

Re: Fire tone out

Post by yorky »

Sounds American, from watching YouTube videos they may get paged via radio and that is the 'tone'.
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Paging in the metro area is not done on FESA frequencies. It is done by a commercial telecommunications carrier. In the country many VFRS Brigades are paged on 76.550MHz via the Country Communications System on station. You might have luck tuning in on that frequency.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Fitzyyy wrote:Both the ubcd396t and xt models have a feature called tone out mode which searches a frequency for 2 tone sequential/single/group paging tones.
It's a '60s GE and Motorola protocol and it (was) mostly used in the US. I've never heard it in WA on any emergency services and I doubt it's used anywhere in Australia.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
Fitzyyy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden Bearcat ubcd396xt

Post by Fitzyyy »

Well I guess that answers that, thanks guys