Bassendean/Guildford VFRS

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

macca

Re: Bassendean/Guildford VFRS

Post by macca »

Acide wrote:Thanks for all the replies, and also for those that have sent pm's to me with additional information.

My biggest problem at the moment seems to be distance from each station. As I said Im about 15km to Basso and Guildford, and a similar distance to East Swan (which I only just realised was located where it was). Is it still feasible to volunteer in as a fire fighter? As I said prior, I have been looking at doing this for a very long time and would like to get involved within this role and be trained and ready for next years fire season.

Also, with reference to the various branches of FESA, i.e. VFRS, BFB etc, I know that there will be a division and variation between the different organisations, but is it as prominent as some make out? Ultimately I would like to get involved with a brigade which has good comradarie and a sense of community and hopefully get some good experience and training at the same time.

Cheers again,

Acide
Mate I must say every brigade has its backstabbers, two faced, only in it for themselves members. So it doesn't matter what brigade you join. Your choice will be wether you want to fight bush fires join the bush fire brigade. If you want to attend all types of incidents join the VFRS, not that basso and Guildford attend them being surrounded by career stations. The attend a lot of bush fires in summer but are really quiet in winter. Good luck with your choice.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

every brigade has its backstabbers, two faced
Not in mine :lol:
Jonesy
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBCT9, Tait 2020/8200, GME 80Ch UHF

Post by Jonesy »

Helitak_670 wrote:
every brigade has its backstabbers, two faced
Not in mine :lol:
Nor mine.....
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

written_ficton wrote:I'm not at Darlington! Perhaps... try our resident TV presenter Aunty_eyes, believe that is where he hides out.
8)

Helitak_670 wrote:cheers WF, I get you both confused.
And for the record w_f and i look nothing alike :lol:
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

I have not yet had the pleasure of meeting you yet AE.... So how do you know what I look like :shock:
Kempa

Post by Kempa »

Basso trains or at least gets together every monday night for maintenence work. its a pretty young crew down there atm, but they are a good group of guys and girls. The politics refered to by some on here are more in relation to things above the concern of the fire fighting group so dont be put off by the negitivity. your not going to get to any road crash or structural jobs but they often attend major incident that run for days and the relief crews get a good working through. they have pretty new machines including a brand new LT. you'll be eligible, once a full active member, to attend courses related to the roles fullfilled by the brigade. So this driving courses, Bush fire courses and BA with the opportunity to do more after that.

They get together Monday night at around 7/7:30 in Parker St Bassendean. they are very active in the Bassendean community as well.

If you live in the metro area and want to help out and be an active part of the community why not join VFRS brigade SgtSeedy??? instead of driving 20, 30 or 40min in peak hour to a bush fire brigade (being honest, a lot of call seem to happen once school finishes... funny that). Perhaps keep your opions to your self instead of spreading negativity about something you know nothing about.

The alternative of the SES is a good one and there may be a base closer to you than you know.

All the best
SgtSeedy
Scanners and Receivers: 6AR
6IP
Ch11 (DEC)

Post by SgtSeedy »

Kempa wrote:Basso trains or at least gets together every monday night for maintenence work. its a pretty young crew down there atm, but they are a good group of guys and girls. The politics refered to by some on here are more in relation to things above the concern of the fire fighting group so dont be put off by the negitivity. your not going to get to any road crash or structural jobs but they often attend major incident that run for days and the relief crews get a good working through. they have pretty new machines including a brand new LT. you'll be eligible, once a full active member, to attend courses related to the roles fullfilled by the brigade. So this driving courses, Bush fire courses and BA with the opportunity to do more after that.

They get together Monday night at around 7/7:30 in Parker St Bassendean. they are very active in the Bassendean community as well.

If you live in the metro area and want to help out and be an active part of the community why not join VFRS brigade SgtSeedy??? instead of driving 20, 30 or 40min in peak hour to a bush fire brigade (being honest, a lot of call seem to happen once school finishes... funny that). Perhaps keep your opions to your self instead of spreading negativity about something you know nothing about.

The alternative of the SES is a good one and there may be a base closer to you than you know.

All the best

First of all there's no driving 30 or 40 mins to a bushfire brigade, if you read the previous comments properly you would realise that you have to live with in 15minutes or closer to be a member of a bushfire brigade.

Second; I'm not spreading negative comments only answering his queries with the truth. You said yourself, VFRS with in metro area don't turn out to much, if anything at all. If Acide wanted to play a more sizable role with in his community maybe he should join a BFB or as you suggested, the SES. In regards to the polical BS that goes in within the brigades and FESA, you are correct again in suggesting that it's way above the heads of all the fire fighting groups.

not sure why your having ago Kempa when we seem to be mostly agreeing with each other.. :lol:

regards

ps: look forward to pulling basso 2nd out of a few bogs this fire season :D
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

SgtSeedy wrote:
Kempa wrote:Basso trains or at least gets together every monday night for maintenence work. its a pretty young crew down there atm, but they are a good group of guys and girls. The politics refered to by some on here are more in relation to things above the concern of the fire fighting group so dont be put off by the negitivity. your not going to get to any road crash or structural jobs but they often attend major incident that run for days and the relief crews get a good working through. they have pretty new machines including a brand new LT. you'll be eligible, once a full active member, to attend courses related to the roles fullfilled by the brigade. So this driving courses, Bush fire courses and BA with the opportunity to do more after that.

All the best

First of all there's no driving 30 or 40 mins to a bushfire brigade, if you read the previous comments properly you would realise that you have to live with in 15minutes or closer to be a member of a bushfire brigade.

Second; I'm not spreading negative comments only answering his queries with the truth. You said yourself, VFRS with in metro area don't turn out to much, if anything at all. If Acide wanted to play a more sizable role with in his community maybe he should join a BFB or as you suggested, the SES. In regards to the polical BS that goes in within the brigades and FESA, you are correct again in suggesting that it's way above the heads of all the fire fighting groups.

not sure why your having ago Kempa when we seem to be mostly agreeing with each other.. :lol:

regards

ps: look forward to pulling basso 2nd out of a few bogs this fire season :D

yea seedy =D>
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
Fire Chief

Post by Fire Chief »

Kyeboi,

As a Full Time firey I would personally take Kempa's advice over a bush fire firey.

Im also aware that its only the City of Wanneroo who has a "special area" from were they accept Volunteers (you must live south of Ocean Reef Road.In the old days they took you from there boarder....south of beach road) and this is only due to the fact they have more volunteers than any other unit.Also the Wanneroo/Joondalup SES is also the biggest in WA.I know one member drives up from Rockingham.

I know bush firey's that live in Wanneroo and have to drive to west swan........Thats more than 15 minutes

Ive also worked with bush firey's at Barbagallo Race way that live in Midland that are on the Toodyay VFRS & Bush Fire Brigade.
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

well fire chief as a bush fire'ie my self and as i work along seedy alot in the fire season i can say what i like and as i think u havent relised i also have done work for you at the raceway theres no law saying that i cant take side and the bigs thing is seedy wasnt putting anyone down he was stating that u will proably get more action as a bush fire vollie than beening a VFRS member because the career bois will be the first ones there and only if its really busy will they get a call i didnt see anythink wrong with seedys comment but i guess our BUSH fire experience does matter to people like urself!!!!
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

Guys, this has gone way off-topic. Flame baiting will cause this thread to be locked down.

Please adhere to the forum guidelines.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Geneva

Post by Geneva »

G'day,

Looks like I have a similar sort of plan to Acide but seem to be in the same boat with regards to distance and the nearest fire brigade being some distance away. I was actually looking at the same few brigades being located in Ballajura and with Basso and Guildford being about 13km south, and West Swan about 15km west. Im currently about to start working in Perth at the end of January having moved over from SA in the middle of last year (was studying/wrapping up previous employment commitments) and have been interested in jumping into one of the volly brigades for some time.

Just wondering if anyone is in a position to put me in contact with the relevant people from these brigades so I could get some additional information, or could advise me when and where they meet/train so I can drop by and have a chat and look at what each has to offer?

Also, Acide, I've sent you a PM looking for some extra info that people may have supplied to you, Im guessing you're pretty close to me based on your previous comments. Have you had much luck getting in touch with any brigades or if distance will be a problem?

Hope New Year was kind to all, Im sure there'll be a few out there nursing some good hangovers... #-o

Geneva
best job

Post by best job »

This has been interesting to read. From my experience, firstly as a bush volly and now lucky enough to get paid to do the job I reckon Acide is better off with a BFB. More chance of seeing some action, sure the VFRS guys are busy over summer, but as far as I'm aware the ComCen turnout matrix doesn't include guildford and basso anymore. armadale and rockingham 2nd get a few calls but often get stood down on the way to the job.
Either way, there are plenty of long duration bushys over summer where you'd be required as relief crew and would have enough time to get to the station- thats how i started out.

see you at the big one!!
SgtSeedy
Scanners and Receivers: 6AR
6IP
Ch11 (DEC)

Post by SgtSeedy »

Fire Chief wrote:Kyeboi,

As a Full Time firey I would personally take Kempa's advice over a bush fire firey.

Im also aware that its only the City of Wanneroo who has a "special area" from were they accept Volunteers (you must live south of Ocean Reef Road.In the old days they took you from there boarder....south of beach road) and this is only due to the fact they have more volunteers than any other unit.Also the Wanneroo/Joondalup SES is also the biggest in WA.I know one member drives up from Rockingham.

I know bush firey's that live in Wanneroo and have to drive to west swan........Thats more than 15 minutes

Ive also worked with bush firey's at Barbagallo Race way that live in Midland that are on the Toodyay VFRS & Bush Fire Brigade.
Fire Chief, As a Full time firey i would expect a better attitude from some one in your position, it's pretty disappointing to see... comments like that fuel the political BS that I'm talking about...

let's see if we can steer this back on topic for a second time... :P

good luck to Acide and Geneva! don't forget to have a look at fire support brigades as well! they do some neat work with comms and the like! :)
Acide

Post by Acide »

Last edited by Acide on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.