WAERN use

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

WAERN use

Post by Helitak_670 »

This is to all the other fire fighters on here.

Who here understands how to use the WAERN and also the level 1 Comms incident plan?

Why do I ask, well it has become very apparent that many fire fighters just do not know basic comms, and also how to set up an incident at a fire ie Incident Control at Wildfires, setting up sectors divisions. Also people are forgetting the dead man zone at the same time which is scary to see.
Fireguard

Re: WAERN use

Post by Fireguard »

One of the problems with WAERN that I've noticed, isn't actually a WAERN problem, it’s the operators.

What I've noticed is that because people are so set into their old habits. "in this situation we use channel XX, and then we use channels X Y Z" etc like they have been doing for the last god know how many years, now something new has come along it out of their comfort zone, they know what they're doing "it's just the same but different"

On top of that throw in all the new terminology, WAERN, High Band, Mid Band, VHF, Intrinsically Safe, Dual Receive, Dual Transmit, Zones etc etc.... they may only be simple terms to us, but for someone with no more radio experience than pressing the button and talking it can be a little overwhelming. The FESA training videos are good for someone who already has a bit of knowledge but can also go right over the heads of others.

It's just something new that people will take time to become familiar and comfortable with.
Fireguard

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

Post by vk6hgr »

Just in my casual listening, I've noticed that a lot of folks don't listen before they talk... they have something to say to 6AR so they pick up the mic and call. Another mobile would be giving a long sitrep and half way through someone will just start talking over the top.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
nra555
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by nra555 »

the new stickers with the channel plan should help a bit, what iv noticed though is because there are some mid band and high band channels linked together, its causing more confusion. i went to an incident where they had a midband and highband channel for each sector, thinking they were link. the only way this can happen is if a vehicle is crossbanding, and this was not the case.
PRC-555
NRA-555

nra.org.au - join today to make UHF CB a more enjoyable band to use!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Thanks for your info guys. It is much appreciated. I am making up a set of notes for local knowledge as you have to be on the ball in regards to channel changes etc.

So far what I have done to keep it simple.

Keep the Black radio on mid band

Yellow or Green on Single receive/transmit on the WAERN No duel band is happening.

The trick is to keep it simple. I counted 9 different radio's in our brigade so it is going to be a uphill battle.
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

Can't help myself to add to this discussion - guys may need to ask own brigade with regards to WAERN protocols. There was a information session on the weekend for North & South brigades. Waiting to be PD by members that attended this with regards to this seasons use of Blank and Yellow/Green radios. It is not that hard really - get the information from the 'horses mouth" and all suddenly gets very clear.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

PM sent mate, and I am aware of the training session. So far the input here has been valuable. The biggest problem is going to be local knowledge and changing the radio channel to the correct one.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Helitak_670 wrote:So far what I have done to keep it simple.

Keep the Black radio on mid band
If you get the black radio on anything else other than midband then all hope is lost.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

The black radio is single band only, you can't change it at all. If you can someone has been doing the wrong thing and fiddled with the radio installation.

Black = Mid band VHF only
Green = Mid and High band VHF
Yellow = High Band VHF and UHF
floppy
Scanners and Receivers: Sangean ATS 818CS

Post by floppy »

time starts now !

absolute truth, I kid you not
a FESA radio training sesssion here in Albany I attended as part of my BFS training
FESA guy walks in
"you guys all know how to use CB.... yeah ?"
crowd nods
ticks us all off
we all passed
so in the time it takes to read this
was about the length of our "radio training module"

time ends now, next module
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

That was aknowledged that radio training needs to happen, not only for FRS but also for voli's
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

With you floppy - too many people wrapped up in their own importance and this culture of "tick & flick". All show and no substance - most Vollies are just that vollies. We have limited time - we want to do our bit for the community we live in and want the best information in language we all can understand. Really like all the new protocols and gear - just PD me well.
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

The last lot of information I received with regards to the use of radio's in our brigade from a fire fighters point of view not setting up the incident because lets face it that's what 99% of vollies will only be there to put the fire out, for this season so far was midbands are used for comms with 6AR/6IP and should be left on those channels unless directed otherwise and new high bands for fire ground sectors comms unless the IC advises otherwise. As a firefighter you shouldn't really don't need to know much more than how to change channels to what channel you have been told to use. If an IC is doing their job properly you should be told on arrival what channel to use and possibly which radio set to use.
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

nra555 wrote:what iv noticed though is because there are some mid band and high band channels linked together, its causing more confusion. i went to an incident where they had a midband and highband channel for each sector, thinking they were link. the only way this can happen is if a vehicle is crossbanding, and this was not the case.
All of the DUPLEX channels ARE linked with both a VHF-Mid and VHF-High channel paired together for each repeater site. The only channels that are NOT linked are the SIMPLEX channels (VHF-Mid channels 46-49 & 96-99 and VHF-High channels 354-365). Standard comms plan templates now provide for both the paired VHF-Mid and VHF-High channel numbers to be written in. My understanding is that simplex channels should only be used by ground crews within a sector. Sector Commanders, Divisional Commanders and IMT should all be allocated duplex channels.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!
auntys_eyes

Post by auntys_eyes »

floppy wrote:FESA guy walks in
"you guys all know how to use CB.... yeah ?"
crowd nods
ticks us all off
we all passed
Much of FESA's comms outside the metro area is done on UHF (CB) due to compatability with Local Governments, property owners, transport companies, the public etc, which would probably explain the trainer's lax attitude.
Within the metro fire districts UHF is not used hence the emphasis on the VHF bands and the more complex relationship of the -mid and -high band channels. An overwhelming majority of BFS volunteers would not have come across the concept of one radio head actually controlling two different tranciever units. I think that is where much of the confusion is occuring and where most of the training needs to be directed.
WARSUG Moderator - Media Section

VBFB Member

No onion, no garlic, no chilli, no pepper... NO POINT!!