ABC news: FESA going to digital radio in the metro area

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6HGR
Scanners and Receivers: Various Yaesu, Kenwood, Tait, Simoco and Philips'

ABC news: FESA going to digital radio in the metro area

Post by vk6hgr »

"There is some work happening in the metropolitan area in regards the digital radio network and there's some work happening in the country with the WAERN (WA Emergency Radio Network) network and I'm told that that will be ready, at least the country network will be ready, for this year's fire season."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-09/b ... section=wa
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
WARSUG forum administrator
Site and stream donations: https://www.paypal.me/vk6hgr
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ABC news: FESA going to digita radio in the metro area

Post by vk6hgr »

If the firies go to digital encrypted in the metro area that will suck :(
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
WPXZBP

Re: ABC news: FESA going to digita radio in the metro area

Post by WPXZBP »

vk6hgr wrote:If the firies go to digital encrypted in the metro area that will suck :(
Sounds to me that the new system recently announced (linking Police, FESA and DCS) might be done in Perth sooner than later.

A lot of work on the WAERN system has gone on in the country - Great Southern & South West essentially complete. I have heard work is being done in Goldfields/Midlands and as we know plenty has been completed in Perth.
xr8edute

Re: ABC news: FESA going to digital radio in the metro area

Post by xr8edute »

So probably a stupid question, but wouldn't having the metro area using digital waern and "rural" using analogue waern, wouldn't that add to the already poor communication on any fire grounds that they both attend?
It would be hard to know where to draw the metro/country boundary I would have thought.
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS
bohong

Post by bohong »

xr8edute wrote:So probably a stupid question, but wouldn't having the metro area using digital waern and "rural" using analogue waern, wouldn't that add to the already poor communication on any fire grounds that they both attend?
It would be hard to know where to draw the metro/country boundary I would have thought.
Metro are also being fitted with WAERN at the moment and they are interconnected (cross-banded) to their current radios so can be on either the current freq or WAERN. Even when digital comes in, the metro appliances can go to WAERN, which will be the standard comms plan for fireground channels to ensure that all agencies and brigades across the state can communicate. A new concept!!!!

With digital, only those users with a digital radio, programmed to the applicable talk group will be able to 'hear' what is going on. This will ensure the privacy of the 6AR/6IP network, which is not available in most country areas.

I personally believe, probably to much critism from this user group, that it is long overdue as the amount of information regarding incidents that is publicly available is over the top on the 'airwaves'. There is no privacy and does lead to more rubber neckers and even worse, family members sometimes attending quite horrific or traumatic scenes unnesessarily.
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

bohong wrote:
With digital, only those users with a digital radio, programmed to the applicable talk group will be able to 'hear' what is going on. This will ensure the privacy of the 6AR/6IP network, which is not available in most country areas.
What though is sensitive or secret about fire fighting, or am I missing something?

Rubbernecking is a problem, but a fire is going to draw crowds no matter what - they're big and kinda hard to keep secret :)
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

vk6hgr wrote:
bohong wrote:
What though is sensitive or secret about fire fighting, or am I missing something?

Rubbernecking is a problem, but a fire is going to draw crowds no matter what - they're big and kinda hard to keep secret :)
It's not just fires. One example - supporting WAPOL in stand-off situations/custody disputes. Even we don't use the radio for that situation - we use mobile phones as they are somewhat more secure.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

vk6hgr wrote:What though is sensitive or secret about fire fighting, or am I missing something?

While fire fighting isn't secret or sensitive, some of the information that is passed via comcen and ground crews is. Due to the raidio network been open, sensitive information is passed via other methods. Having a secure network will remove this need, especially for the volunteer brigades.

Saying that I don't know if the network will be encrypted. There may be a chance that it isn't encrypted. Don't take this as gospel. Just haven't heard one way or the other.
bohong

Post by bohong »

vk6hgr wrote:

Its not only fires we attend, what about RCR, Clan drug labs, house fires, special service calls etc. It will make life easier rather than relying on mobile phones, that don't always have coverage (same can be said about the radio).

Yes it will be encrypted, so people won't be able to eaves drop, just like WAPOL.

Bring it on I say
TheDoctor

Post by TheDoctor »

FESA has just as much right as WAPol to a closed, digital radio network, in my opinion.

I think it is an improvement, and it is good to see FESA moving forward and developing it's comms technology.
-TheDoctor
vk6hgr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by vk6hgr »

Yeah can't argue with that sort of reasoning nor can I say I'm really all that surprised.
Gavin Rogers; VK6HGR
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

Better start getting back into airband :(
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

Last edited by HL 101 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

HL 101 wrote:Let’s hope the PTA (Public Transport Authority) don’t go digital just yet other wise that going to suck big time.

does anything intresting happen on the band?
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

kyeboi wrote:
HL 101 wrote:Let’s hope the PTA (Public Transport Authority) don’t go digital just yet other wise that going to suck big time.

does anything intresting happen on the band?
A bit, you will routinely hear full names and adresses, as well as a list of prior offences/warnings for offenders. Also general locations for code 7s (train v ped).
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ