1.4 Rural tanker

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

pump105

1.4 Rural tanker

Post by pump105 »

Does anyone have a veiw on the effectiveness and operational value of the 1.4 Rural tanker currently in service?
Pump105
VFRS Volunteer
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Re: 1.4 Rural tanker

Post by kyeboi »

hey pump

as i am a volly for two rock bfb we have a very, very reliable 1.4R it is perfect. its not a big truck so it can get into some tight places and enough water to do the job. it weighs just over 6 tonnes BUT drop the tyres and it will surprise anyone where it will go. i have been in all other appliences and the 1.4R is the way to go

kyeboi

TRBFB
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
jezza

Post by jezza »

In my shire, brigades are issued LTs/1.4Rs depending on the terrain the brigade covers.

My brigade, having lots of sandy coatline, dense bush, and hard to access tracks, has an LT, where has our neighbours have a 1.4R as they cover mostly flat and easy to access farmland.

As far as I'm concerned, if you need extreme accessability, a LT is the only way to go, but if you have an easy to access area, the 1.4R is better due to nearly 3x the water capacity (in the single cab).
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

yes i agree but we have push our 1.4R as far if not further than LT's but yes they still have a lot better movment
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I have no experience on the current 1.4 but have seen experienced similar setups used to great effect when working in WA and back here. With the little Canter Isuzu chassis they'll go almost anywhere and have just that little bit more capacity and pump grunt than the LTs.