Major fires 2006/07

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

firefly,

How many are in the relief pool these days? Also, any ex vols still sitting in the pool? I know a few of the guys I know were there last I heard, but would expect most of them have found a station by now. Also is Skip still DM Central (or one of?)
firefly.000

Post by firefly.000 »

kylep wrote:firefly,

How many are in the relief pool these days? Also, any ex vols still sitting in the pool? I know a few of the guys I know were there last I heard, but would expect most of them have found a station by now. Also is Skip still DM Central (or one of?)
Hi
yeah he is DM on A platoon. Off hand wouldnt know the exact number as some stations have already started with dispersed relieving so it isnt just the guys in town anymore. At the outstations that are doing relieving they want two on each platoon, plus the guys in town. Being in the pool isnt where you start, its optional, just depends if you want to travel around or not. There are plenty ex vols in the relieving pool and also at stations, just look at how many are in the job.
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

firefly.000 wrote:yeah been there a few times and Success, although havent been to Rockingham. I live north of river so mostly take the sickies at stations north of the river. It is great although sometimes you feel like your living out of your kit bag. When I get annoyed at all the travelling I will put in for a station but I enjoy the variety and getting around seeing the different guys at the moment
haha
true
when go to a bushfire in our old area u should call us nothign frustrates me n james more then hearing canning vale 2.4 at a fire in our old area considering our vehicles are closer and we have a 7.2!!!

but anyways i heard there was a matrix in the pump dunno wat it says

wat is the probabilty of gettin dual turnout for 2nd alarm to a bushfire in our old area???
just wondering if its like a union thing or fesa jsut being lazy??

chris
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

chrissss wrote: haha
true
when go to a bushfire in our old area u should call us nothign frustrates me n james more then hearing canning vale 2.4 at a fire in our old area considering our vehicles are closer and we have a 7.2!!!

wat is the probabilty of gettin dual turnout for 2nd alarm to a bushfire in our old area???

chris
Things like this are already in place in other areas, up here being one of them. Your shire needs to push for such things, else the status quo will remain.

All about BUILDING relationships, not sitting back and doing the BFB vs FRS bitching thing (and yes, it goes on, on both sides).
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Fastlane wrote:
true

chris
Things like this are already in place in other areas, up here being one of them. Your shire needs to push for such things, else the status quo will remain.

All about BUILDING relationships, not sitting back and doing the BFB vs FRS bitching thing (and yes, it goes on, on both sides).
oh ok i didnt realise chers fastlane
im sure if some of the rsidence within 50m of the station knew how lon it would take before we wer to be called they wouldnt be to happy aye

we'll do soemthing see wart happens this season

chris
chrissss

Post by chrissss »

Fears this bushfire season could be WA's worst
Fire authorities in Western Australia say this year's bushfire season could be the worst on record.

The Fire and Emergency Services Authority (FESA) says this year's low rainfall and abnormally dry conditions could cause major problems.

Craig Hynes from FESA says the community needs to remain vigilant.

"West Australian conditions are always conducive during the summer season to a bushfire. You just need an ignition source, whether it's lightening or whether it's a careless act or an arsonist, but this year, because of the particular dry fuels, which we measure through the soil dryness index, says it's well in advance of previous years," he said.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Making a big deal out of it today. They 'launched' the aerial supression for the season this morning at Vic Park.

Should be 2 x Helitac's, 2 x Fixed Wings (Air Tractor), 1 x Air Attack Supervisor Helicopter and 1 x Air Intelligence Helicopter online in Perth now.
firefly.000

Post by firefly.000 »

Fastlane wrote:Making a big deal out of it today. They 'launched' the aerial supression for the season this morning at Vic Park.

Should be 2 x Helitac's, 2 x Fixed Wings (Air Tractor), 1 x Air Attack Supervisor Helicopter and 1 x Air Intelligence Helicopter online in Perth now.
Not 100% sure but last I heard they are still on a delayed turnout due to final testings for a couple more days. They can be called but wont be immediatly sent. The other 2 helitacs are still in QLD as there fire season occurs before ours but will be joining us very shortly.
firefly.000

Post by firefly.000 »

chrissss wrote:
Fastlane wrote:
true

chris

oh ok i didnt realise chers fastlane
im sure if some of the rsidence within 50m of the station knew how lon it would take before we wer to be called they wouldnt be to happy aye

we'll do soemthing see wart happens this season

chris
I dont know what the turnout matrix is for your area and what changes have occured recently but it all depends on the comcen. They have a matrix and it tells them who to mobilise when more resources are requested. There are a few areas now where there is dual turnout however alot of the time the BFS will get stood down as often (and not having a go here) the FRS will get there first as they are already on station and make it a first alarm. ESL boundaries will also affect turnouts.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

firefly.000 wrote:
Fastlane wrote:Making a big deal out of it today. They 'launched' the aerial supression for the season this morning at Vic Park.

Not 100% sure but last I heard they are still on a delayed turnout due to final testings for a couple more days. They can be called but wont be immediatly sent. The other 2 helitacs are still in QLD as there fire season occurs before ours but will be joining us very shortly.
The other 2 Helitac's are due to start on December 1.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

Correct Firefly, Hopevalley asked for them today for a weak as fire, 6IP told em no initially before telling them that if they do get them then they will be a good 30mins-1h before they take off.
JG-103

Post by JG-103 »

3rd alarm bushfire in pickering brooke, Kalamunda brigade along with gosnells and dm south coastal and some other brigade/s - wasnt really payin attention. SES are there for some reason. Umm, when i heard it they was at the pickering brook school, and nearest road was patterson rd. umm dm cockburn sound also their.
Antt
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Antt »

SES are taking the other bushies out to the fire ground and doing generla shuttle runs
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Gees,
There can't be much heavy fuel out there, other than patches of bush North of Pickering Brook Rd. Virtually everything South of it went up 2 years ago. Many other patches around there have gone up over the past 3 years. Shouldn't be too much to deal with anyway.
lytec

pickering brooke.

Post by lytec »

is this still going now then.