CFA Concept Light Tanker

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: CFA Concept Light Tanker

Post by Fastlane »

dlcat1 wrote:I was suprised by the length and height of the new 2.4s over here. I guess what matters is the approach, departure and ramp over angles and there could be a lot of room between that (transfer case?) and where the lowest stowage is now. Mind you what hit most on our Cat 1 was the swinging stairs to the crew refuge going round corners .
That comes down to the cab chassis that is used/suitable. I'm sure they will have the same challenges elsewhere. The current FTS750 for example, is alot higher than the older non-turbo one.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Very good concept, it would be interesting to see how it really goes at a fire. It would also need some good operators to use the pump effectively.
rambler318

Post by rambler318 »

Helitak_670 wrote:Very good concept, it would be interesting to see how it really goes at a fire. It would also need some good operators to use the pump effectively.
Would spend more time off the fire ground filling up, as opposed to putting the fire out.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

Helitak_670 wrote:Very good concept, it would be interesting to see how it really goes at a fire. It would also need some good operators to use the pump effectively.
From what I have heard it was used at a scrub fire in Victoria and preformed above expectation. The unit did assist in knocking down the fire quick.

There has been a lot of people to quickly dismiss this vehicle (over east), based on photographic evedience. However people that have viewed and have had a chance to play with the truck are all full of praise for it and can see where features will be of benefit to them.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Just like a lot of people dont think LT's work. But they do.
Chooky

Post by Chooky »

I agree with you Helitak, i'd take a LT over this new concept anyday especially in the soft sand around the lowlands of Jandakot with tight access on rural blocks. On its merit, it would be good for initial attack, but I think it will also create lazy mopup techniques with people just sitting in the cab using the monitors, as we sometimes see on 3.4 / 4.4 these days. Unfortunately, that fallen tree trunk is going to turn its self over nor is that back side of the tree going to put its self out. On a side note, were getting our new V8 LT in the next week or two, so i'll be enjoying playing with the new toy!

Chooky