Burn off today....

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Our instructions for the aux pump is only IF the main pump is U/S and only for emergency use (ie crew protection).
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Fastlane wrote:You can crawl about with good pressure on a fireground using the Live Drive PTO with very little problem. If you can't manage it, you aren't operating the appliance correctly.

On the current appliances the auxiliary pump can be started from inside the vehicle cab. Older appliances only have a start switch on the pump itself. The aux pump is designed to operate the off-side hosereel and backup hose that sits behind the tray headboard ONLY. Of course, if you leave the water valve that feeds from the main pump on the off-side hosereel open, it will feed back through the rest of the system.

Tyranus, all of 2.4's etc that have PTO have a "Live Drive" system which allows the appliance to move whilst the PTO is engaged - if this wasn't possible, we'd all have Hatz Diesel Pumps on the back of our appliances still.

Note that career staff had something against the Live Drive, even though it is tried and tested in the field. This is why the career 2.4's have a Hatz Pump Set on the back.
Ahhh thanks for clarifying that Fastlane, don't have that on our 2 light tankers...does it apply to 1.4's at all or is that all standard pumps like LT's?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Tyranus, all new vehicles have a pump start/stop in the cab. All 3 of our Light Tankers have this, the oldest being about 5-6 years old, but our 3.4U doesn't (also about 5 years old).
slipknot
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: Yaesu FT-857 Yaesu FT7800 Icom ID800H

Re: Burn off today....

Post by slipknot »

Millsy wrote:
slipknot wrote:this is a picture of what we call "the monitor" its a machine gun type of water cannon we use to fight wild fires, its unbelievably powerfull, and so is my spelling. :D The spay is on jet in that pic, it can be widened.
:lol: Best Description i've yet to hear..

Good pic's mate - Looked like a decent burn.
haha Thanks. :D

** EDITED BY ADMIN TO REMOVE OFF TOPIC COMMENTS ***