ARSON- Whats your opinion?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Yeah, pity Crime Stoppers closes at 11pm on weekdays and 8pm on weekends.

So it seems it is very difficult to get a reward - you have to see a crime before 8pm on weekends or 11pm on weekdays, call Crime Stoppers, who will then call the police, who will then respond. Hopefully the criminals hang around for 10 minutes....

For the record we didnt "qualify" for a Crime Stoppers reward because we didnt do the above (they were closed anyway) - but police arson have their own reward of up to $50,000 which we were told we did qualify for.

Didnt do it for the reward - but it would be nice...
Dazdog221

Post by Dazdog221 »

AVBFS wrote:well there enough of us... naa just putting the word out there most of the time people with scanners are floting arround fires so if you see anythink report it. i also wouldnt mind knowing what people think about arson and what they think should be done to those that commit the offence.
If it was up to me to choose what to be done with the idiots i would burn parts of there bodys depending on how much damage they had done
=D
jasonjag
Banned

Gov wants to increase arsonist fines

Post by jasonjag »

In the Sunday times today, State Gov wants to increase the fines for Arsonists and jail terms, 3 maps showing this year is going to be one of the states worst bush fire seasons, Hope it is not for all you Fire fighters. jj
Toottoot
Banned

Re: ARSON- Whats your opinion?

Post by Toottoot »

AVBFS wrote:I think if this years gonna be a bad yer for fire we should all bind together and help out against arson so i ask you all if you see any suspicious persons or firelighters report this vital information to the police by ringing Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 and/or put it in here .... remember $50,000 to any one that helps lead to the conviction of an arsonist..
But you will probably get much less. You will be lucky to get 1%.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Toottoot wrote:
AVBFS wrote:I think if this years gonna be a bad yer for fire we should all bind together and help out against arson so i ask you all if you see any suspicious persons or firelighters report this vital information to the police by ringing Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 and/or put it in here .... remember $50,000 to any one that helps lead to the conviction of an arsonist..
The signs clearly say "UP TO".
The rewards are made available through the Insurance Council of Australia's Arson Reward Scheme.
The money does not come from the Govt.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Fastlane wrote:
Toottoot wrote:
The signs clearly say "UP TO".
I wasn't disputing that. I would have thought that guy would have got a bit more for putting himself out and not leaving it for the investigators to do all the work which could have had a very different outcome.
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

This is the arsonist my mate (Travis) and I caught.

$500 each.

2 girls who witnessed the arsonist and followed at a distance in their car were awarded $5000 each as that was considered "far more dangerous".

Whats more dangerous, confronting a POI face to face or following at a distance in a car?

Oh well...
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Turbo wrote:This is the arsonist my mate (Travis) and I caught.

$500 each.

2 girls who witnessed the arsonist and followed at a distance in their car were awarded $5000 each as that was considered "far more dangerous".

Whats more dangerous, confronting a POI face to face or following at a distance in a car?

Oh well...
Don't worry. Margaret Quirk is looking into the payment criteria.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

$500 each.

Oh well...
To be fair, you didn't witness the offence taking place 'nor reported it and only knew who it was after hearing the description given out over VKI. The reward isn't for doing something dangerous, its for providing information that leads to the conviction of an arsonist.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Fastlane wrote:

$500 each.

Oh well...
To be fair, you didn't witness the offence taking place 'nor reported it and only knew who it was after hearing the description given out over VKI. The reward isn't for doing something dangerous, its for providing information that leads to the conviction of an arsonist.
Fastlane, your comments are contrary to what was reported in 'the West online':

Det-Supt Collins said the average reward given out was about $7500 with the highest in five years was $15,000. He said the amount of money awarded depended on the amount of risk and personal danger someone put themselves in to catch an arsonist.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

And the 'West Australian' is a wonderful publication.

I'm more inclined to believe the official word at http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/?MenuID=40 than anything published in a newspaper.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Fastlane wrote:
And the 'West Australian' is a wonderful publication.

I'm more inclined to believe the official word at http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/internet/?MenuID=40 than anything published in a newspaper.
I think that if someone goes out of their way to make a citizens arrest, provided they have taken adequate precautions and done it safely, I would be happy to have my insurance premiums used to remunerate them appropriately. I don't condone vigilante-ism.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

Are we talking about the news storey last night ?

About the guy that got $500 n the lady that made the call got more because they took the greater risk "calling the police"

If so what aload off BS

Just goes to show no method in the madness
RIP
Turbo
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Turbo »

Yep thats the same story.
BFBGAL

Post by BFBGAL »

Well lets face it the law is not stern enough and the costs are not high enough for anyone caught or commiting arson. Not sure what they get off on either. The law is not stern enough in most cases. [-X