General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by newbie »

There was just a report of fire in west swan and Basso, Midland, East Swan and West Swan were mobilised as a first response. So they really have changed things in FESA, I remember a few years back you might have a 2.4 mobilised for back up if it was a bad fire day, its good to see... or maybe FESA just realised if they have more turnouts on the books they get more funding :P
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I reckon the hit it hard and fast thing is worth it and I understand sending Career crews first. It costs the govt more or less the same whether the crews are at a fire, travelling to a fire they get a stop for, or sitting in station waiting for someone to say they need more crews. For sure there are vollie crews and BFS around and maybe closer but if you send them everytime you're going to wear people down and eventually cause strife with their employers.
hold3n
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by hold3n »

When do fire permits come back?
I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH DFES OR BFB
Closing the door for a while.
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

hold3n wrote:When do fire permits come back?
Refer to your own local council.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

Last edited by HL 101 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

On Perth Now website
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6229919325

A bit far fetched.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

The scariest thing from that link is you can't read Roger Underwood's column in full unless you have an iPad.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

philby wrote:On Perth Now website

A bit far fetched.

Not at all, its exactly what happened in 1961, Dwellingup and a number of small forestry towns were totally destroyed with Dwellingup the only town to be rebuilt.
The prediction was more going off history than making up a random scenario, here is a good link on it http://www.westaustralianvista.com/fires-of-1961.html
It will happen again but next time will be a lot worse as the urban interface is much larger and there are a lot more people living in areas around towns like Dwellingup etc.
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

newbie wrote:
philby wrote:On Perth Now website

A bit far fetched.

Not at all, its exactly what happened in 1961, Dwellingup and a number of small forestry towns were totally destroyed with Dwellingup the only town to be rebuilt.
The prediction was more going off history than making up a random scenario, here is a good link on it http://www.westaustralianvista.com/fires-of-1961.html
It will happen again but next time will be a lot worse as the urban interface is much larger and there are a lot more people living in areas around towns like Dwellingup etc.
Very much in the way they ignored all the warnings in Queensland about building houses on the flood plains, all the sprinklers in the world on your roof will do nothing when a fire is tearing up greenmount hill and you have tree's all around your house as so many of them do up there.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

If people properly prepare their home they should be fine... the problem is people seem to think cleaning out the gutters once a year is being properly prepared and thats the ones that think about it, it blows my mind that the state government hasn't gotten tough and brought in regulations.

The big issue is local shires don't seem to want to class areas as bushfire prone as it's bad for property values etc. If they class it as bushfire prone then it means people have to conform to the BAL guidelines when building, which is good for bushfire safety but bad for bringing in new rate payers.
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

Last edited by HL 101 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wazza Y

Post by Wazza Y »

I agree, always look forward to seeing their station all lit up at christmas time.
HL 101 wrote:I Know it a little late, but I must say Joondalup fire station did a really good job on decorating their station with Christmas lights!! Well done to the Boys & Girls at Joondalup.
kyeboi
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UNIDEN UBC355XLT

Post by kyeboi »

at the two rocks fire last night gotta say the helitaks did an awsome job knocking the fire out put it this way did have much mopping up to do =D> :)
KyeBoi

Yanchep VFRS
HL 101

Post by HL 101 »

Last edited by HL 101 on Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Welshpool are at an incident where a truck has clipped a power pole. The S/O has been rather funny over the radio and the person in 6AR is doing a great job not laughing.