General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by philby »

Hey,
Dont know where this should go but i'll put it here until the Admins move it.

Geoscience Australia - worth a look
http://www.ga.gov.au/hazards.html

"Interesting fact: More bushfires occur on Sunday than any other day." I think we all know why!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

philby wrote:Hey,
Dont know where this should go but i'll put it here until the Admins move it.

Geoscience Australia - worth a look
http://www.ga.gov.au/hazards.html

"Interesting fact: More bushfires occur on Sunday than any other day." I think we all know why!
Fire Fingers?
I've closed the door!
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Escaped BBQs? Last minute paint stripping/angle grinding/lawnmowing etc? Sigh...I think you're right.

Actually when I was living in the Hawkesbury River area in NSW (Gosford/Pittwater/Hornsby/Baulkham Hills/etc) there were a number of fires traced back to improperly extinguished saturday and saturday night BBQs lit by boaties and hikers. Pretty sure they wheren't supposed to light them in the first place but that is hard to police.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

One of these would of been handy for our "Mud Boy"
http://www.frsa.com.au/catalog/product_ ... ts_id=3558
:roll:
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Anyone know who does the reflective stripping for the FESA trucks?
Our work fire truck need a birthday and I'm starting with the refletive strips. I just guessed I'd keep it them same as our ones.
P.S. Did you know we will ALL be using Storz hose fittings on all trucks by 2023? AFAC discussion paper.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

philby wrote:Anyone know who does the reflective stripping for the FESA trucks?
Our work fire truck need a birthday and I'm starting with the refletive strips. I just guessed I'd keep it them same as our ones.
P.S. Did you know we will ALL be using Storz hose fittings on all trucks by 2023? AFAC discussion paper.

I think 3M do them to order if you can't find someone local.

By ALL do you mean all WA or all Australia? Not sure where to find the discussion paper.

EDIT: is this it? http://www.afac.com.au/positions/Common ... r_Agencies Appears I'll need to register.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Philby - PM incoming.
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

dlcat1 wrote:
philby wrote:Anyone know who does the reflective stripping for the FESA trucks?

I think 3M do them to order if you can't find someone local.

By ALL do you mean all WA or all Australia? Not sure where to find the discussion paper.

EDIT: is this it? http://www.afac.com.au/positions/Common ... r_Agencies Appears I'll need to register.
It says Australia wide so we can all use each others pump and connections. Mainly for interoperability on Interstate deployment.
Makes sense IMHO.
xr8edute

Post by xr8edute »

It looked like the recommendation paper was tabled in March 2008 though.
Proud Member of Wagin VFRS & Wagin Town BFS
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

philby wrote:P.S. Did you know we will ALL be using Storz hose fittings on all trucks by 2023? AFAC discussion paper.
At this stage I understand FESA hasn't agreed to this, and I don't believe they will. As mentioned it makes it easy for compatibility for trucks moving interstate (one of the main reasons behind the move), but when was the last time a truck from another state came over to assist WA? It doesn't happen. So why spend money on making hose compatible with other fire services when we are never going to work with them.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

I actually saw a DEC HD and LT over at Lysterfield NP (in Melbourne) last week. Travelling in convoy with a CFA staff car, CFS 3.4R, DSE LT and 3.4R, a Tasmanian Fire Service Prototype 1.4 and a bunch of support and transport units. (I'm guessing on the types here and no pics. Was on my bike.) I figured it was a very long way for the DEC units to have come.

20 years ago I never expected to see a truck from the other side of Sydney, let alone interstate, and now its pretty common to send taskgroups anywhere from SE QLD to central SA. I'm not saying it's going to happen, and hope it never does but I wouldn't be suprised if some eastern state firies turned up over there one year.
SgtSeedy
Scanners and Receivers: 6AR
6IP
Ch11 (DEC)

Post by SgtSeedy »

dlcat1 wrote:I actually saw a DEC HD and LT over at Lysterfield NP (in Melbourne) last week. Travelling in convoy with a CFA staff car, CFS 3.4R, DSE LT and 3.4R, a Tasmanian Fire Service Prototype 1.4 and a bunch of support and transport units. (I'm guessing on the types here and no pics. Was on my bike.) I figured it was a very long way for the DEC units to have come.

20 years ago I never expected to see a truck from the other side of Sydney, let alone interstate, and now its pretty common to send taskgroups anywhere from SE QLD to central SA. I'm not saying it's going to happen, and hope it never does but I wouldn't be suprised if some eastern state firies turned up over there one year.
The DEC and CFS trucks travelled over east as part of a trial to see which vehicles and their components and capabilitiies are best for fighting fires in the East Gippsland area for the DSE (Department of Sustainability and Environment). It's good to know that government environmental agencies are in talks with each other in terms of appliances etc etc...

ill post some pics i received in the "picture thread"..
Infernal
Scanners and Receivers: Uniden UBC60XLT

Post by Infernal »

I can see, and hear FESA Doing driver training at the RAC track, looks like they have enlisted some cars and trucks to drive slowley round the course while some operate on fire call, from what I can see there are some light tankers, light pumpers, medium/heavy pumps, and a Set or the ICV truck
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

AO11912 wrote:I can see, and hear FESA Doing driver training at the RAC track, looks like they have enlisted some cars and trucks to drive slowley round the course while some operate on fire call, from what I can see there are some light tankers, light pumpers, medium/heavy pumps, and a Set or the ICV truck
I do not know where the RAC track is, where is it?
I've closed the door!
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Look on Google maps near the International Airport Grogan Rd. It's marked.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two