Helitak Thread

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Helitak Thread

Post by Magnus »

Sikorsky & 2 Squirrels just flew over my place heading South East
Too high to see which two Squirrels
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

DEC have a few fires to the south east, sounds like north of Dwellingup area. They have 2 air attacks there so I'm guessing thats where they are heading.
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

At least two heavy duty and one light duty unit were mobile heading south on Albany Highway near Jarrahdale this arvo around 3-4.
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

It was Canning Dam where the Incident was.
Magnus
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Magnus »

S61 and 2 Squirells heading North 17:55
TrainFreak

Post by TrainFreak »

Does anyone know what you need to become a helitac pilot and what the average income is, as I’m thinking about choosing a career in the helicopter industry with the long term target of becoming a helitac pilot?

Also wondering what type of subjects I’ll need to choose in TEE, as next year I'll be starting year 11 e.g. maths physics

Any extra information will be much appreciated
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Hazard a guess - Aviation (Kent Street, Greenwood and others? offer it), Physics 3A & B, Maths probably 3A & B, English
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

All I'll say is... I hope you have a large bank account...

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

TrainFreak wrote:Does anyone know what you need to become a helitac pilot and what the average income is, as I’m thinking about choosing a career in the helicopter industry with the long term target of becoming a helitac pilot?

Also wondering what type of subjects I’ll need to choose in TEE, as next year I'll be starting year 11 e.g. maths physics

Any extra information will be much appreciated
Good passes in TEE Maths, Physics, and English are a must in any Aviation Carreer. One thing you have to remember, is that its not as simple as get your chopper licence, and get a job flying the Helitaks (a commoun misconception in all flying).

First aviation job - you are looking at 20 - 30 grand a year tops. One of the other things: Helicopter training is very expensive (350 per hour for a 2 seater, and 450 per hour for a 4 seater), and it takes 105 to 125 hours minimum for a Chopper CPL (do the maths) - and thats assuming you dont have to repeat any flights

Before getting your CPL- you have to sit 9 theory examinations: BAK - Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (usually around 30 bucks), PPL - Private Pilots Licence (about 150), and 7 CPL - Commercial Pilots Licence. (about 150 each).

Your best bet is to get enrolled in a course - There are a few around for helicopters at Jandakot, and there are multiple companies to choose from.

I'm currently training for my Fixed wing CPL, but have a mate doing his Chopper CPL, so feel free to send us a message if you would like some more info.

(to give you a small idea: over the last 13 months, i have forked out over $60,000 for both theory and flying training, and i am not finished yet)

*EDIT*

one thing i forgot about: if you get a chance: speak to the Helitak pilots... ask them how they got to where they are.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Nafeen, it is an expensive hobby!

Career path... GA is really going down the drain in terms of T &C C's same as mainline with LCC eroding the bottom line. However... saying that it is a mis-conception that most freshly acquired CPL's earn 20-30k a year, which is in theory true, but also false...

There are/is a few GA employees out there that pay above average wage and a first job would be looking at the region of around 40kish a year.
I've closed the door!
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

A few of the helitac pilots are ex-military so that maybe a way to go, it will be definitely be cheaper and you will get paid to fly them and gain lots of expeerience before you go private
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

written_ficton wrote:Career path... GA is really going down the drain in terms of T &C C's same as mainline with LCC eroding the bottom line. However... saying that it is a mis-conception that most freshly acquired CPL's earn 20-30k a year, which is in theory true, but also false...

There are/is a few GA employees out there that pay above average wage and a first job would be looking at the region of around 40kish a year.
wow... someone read that wrong! Some people think you can get your CPL - and go straight into Airline type flying, or Helitaks in the helicopter world. The opperators are going to want experience before you can do that sort of flying.

Also - who are these employers, and are they hiring :P

As Ace of spades said before - The military is another good option, its cheaper for you, and its a great training ground
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

Go and join the Navy as a Helo pilot, or Army.
TrainFreak

Post by TrainFreak »

Thanks everyone

I may have to do a bit more research before choosing what’s the best option and career path. The Air force, Navy or Army sounds like the best option of them all. Thanks again =D>
TrainFreak

Post by TrainFreak »

Nafenn wrote: one thing I forgot about: if you get a chance: speak to the Helitak pilots... ask them how they got to where they are.
Yea I spoke to one of the helitac pilots early this year and he explain he got his Helicopter Commercial Pilots License and payed about $40k, from there he needed to gain experience so he work for a company up north doing tours in the region before flying helitacs

But I forgot to ask what TEE subjects i needed, are there any other options and where/how you gain your license