General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

rich

Re: General fire discussions

Post by rich »

i always understood when it means total fire ban from the 1st of december till the 31st march or into april means no burning allowed so someone should be getting fined then if they are burning off now in the metro area.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

rich wrote:i always understood when it means total fire ban from the 1st of december till the 31st march or into april means no burning allowed so someone should be getting fined then if they are burning off now in the metro area.
The dates are set by Local Government, so it can vary in each of those.
observer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by observer »

rich wrote:i always understood when it means total fire ban from the 1st of december till the 31st march or into april means no burning allowed so someone should be getting fined then if they are burning off now in the metro area.
There is more to it than fires. If you look at the following link (as posted by fastlane in another tread), it bans other activities that otherwise could be carried out during the fire restriction period.

https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/mediare ... ItemId=114
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

observer wrote:
There is more to it than fires. If you look at the following link (as posted by fastlane in another tread), it bans other activities that otherwise could be carried out during the fire restriction period.

https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/mediare ... ItemId=114
These are different to the fire restrictions Local Govt places, often between 1st Dec and 31st March. Those still apply, however as observer has said, a 'Total Fire Ban' declared by the Minister restricts further activities.

http://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/cproot/34 ... 20Home.pdf outlines the 'rules' in the City of Wanneroo, for example. You'll notice, you *can* burn things such as garden refuse under certain circumstances, even in summer.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2009/2010

Post by newbie »

When you're doing burns up to 5,000 - 10,000 hectares sometimes you get hop overs, it's no biggy it's just what happens on a very very rare occassion. The smoke will actually be from the fire at Harvey.
macca

Post by macca »

I think it will be a matter of time before they start call in for assistance from all VFRS and BFS to assist at the Walpol and Harvey fires. Sounds like the boys are pretty knacked and are in need of a break.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

does anyone know whats happening with the fires in the harvey area (im hoping to fly tomorrow... and it all depends on the smoke)
B200Captain
Scanners and Receivers: G1000 Panel

Post by B200Captain »

Nafenn wrote:does anyone know whats happening with the fires in the harvey area (im hoping to fly tomorrow... and it all depends on the smoke)
What is stopping you flying? restricted VHF does not mean you can not fly and visibility beetween 8000M reducing to 4000M is still VFR. The only thing it would stop is possibly JT tower only operating on 24R so no circuits.
Nafenn

Post by Nafenn »

B200Captain wrote:
Nafenn wrote:does anyone know whats happening with the fires in the harvey area (im hoping to fly tomorrow... and it all depends on the smoke)
What is stopping you flying? restricted VHF does not mean you can not fly and visibility beetween 8000M reducing to 4000M is still VFR. The only thing it would stop is possibly JT tower only operating on 24R so no circuits.
Below 10,000' VMC is down to 5000m, and Special VFR is down to 3000.

Special VFR also only applies in CTA - and about 2.5 of 3 hours of my flight is in Class G airspace.

According to BOM - i would have VMC up to 2000'... and considering im heading on a Navex out east, im not really in the mood for a scud run over the scarp in barley VMC ;)

I cant get over the inversion... because i would lose VMC on the way up, and even if i could i would then lose visual referance to the ground, and i am not rated on any radio navigation aids... so cant make an instrument fix.
Nathan Fenn
WARSUG Aviation Band & Reviews Moderator

Anything I say is my opinion, and has nothing to do with/does not reflect the views of anyone I was/am/will be involved with/employed by/volunteer for/associated with. There, I think that should cover it!
Helitak_670
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Helitak_670 »

MT HELENA have been called to a scrub fire. unsure on details yet, just heard them call.
brocks

Post by brocks »

i know mt helena where called to a small grass/scrub on keane st next to the large water pipeline,the light tanker was able to handle it that would have been around 1.30pm approx could this be what you heard.
melg

Post by melg »

Was there a fire somewhere around Brigadoon, Gidgie maybe Baskerville area last night?? I woke to strong smell of smoke 4.30am this morning, it was really thick outside. Now outside only slight smell almost cleared??
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

In West Bullsbrook, we had the same issue - still a lot of smoke and smell around. Started about 0300. I'm with you uin your enquiry melg - a little disconcerting to be working with such a strong smoke presence
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

melg wrote:Was there a fire somewhere around Brigadoon, Gidgie maybe Baskerville area last night?? I woke to strong smell of smoke 4.30am this morning, it was really thick outside. Now outside only slight smell almost cleared??
It was in the city aswell
I've closed the door!
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

2nd alarm structure fire Craigie...

Duncraig and Wangara turning out.

Duncraig advised central confirmed 2nd alarm before arrival
I've closed the door!