General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Bigfella78

Re: General fire discussions

Post by Bigfella78 »

Call me crazy, But I swear i just heard Roleystone 2.4 tell 6ip they are off station for a hazard reduction burn?
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
macca

Post by macca »

Bigfella78 wrote:Call me crazy, But I swear i just heard Roleystone 2.4 tell 6ip they are off station for a hazard reduction burn?
Crazy if they are. Not today or tomorrow, silly boys if they are
brocks

Post by brocks »

if this is true about the burn,there must be somebody up higher who has the authority to terminate the burn,if not its just plan crazy to be doing a burn in weather conditions like these,doesnt matter how small it is either just plain bloody stupid.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Seeing we have no idea what is being burnt or where, we can hardly be critical now, can we?

Heat alone doesn't make for a bad fire day (and for what its worth, FDR is only HIGH today)
philby
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by philby »

Well said Fastlane =D>
If it was a member of the public doing a HRB then we should worry but Roly 24 are firefighters with training and 2000ltrs of water if the S#$T get out of control.
i'm sure they know what they are doing.
brocks

Post by brocks »

im not going to get into slanging matches but how many fires start from re-ignition of previous burns or fires that have had heaps of water doused on them days later when the weather conditions are right,my opinion is there should be no fire lit on days that are hot, even if its a bridgade watching it or not,plenty of you will disagree but thats my opinion thats the great thing about these forums everybody has there own ideas,even if we are all right or wrong on some matters.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2009/2010

Post by written_ficton »

Malaga has a 2.4?
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

All I heard was roleystone 2.4 advise 6IP they were off station to attend hazard reduction burn. I thought it was odd because I though we were in the prohibited burning period.

It is possible they were attending a burn started by a private citizen.

The boys & girls in the roleystone brigade (bfs & vfrs) are professional and extremely good at what they do. I have no doubt they are doing the right thing.
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
melg

Post by melg »

just heard end of 6AR, injured firefighters taken to Joondalup Hospital for treatment from Sydney Rd fire... anyone know what has happed and the injuries?? hope nothing to serious
johnny99

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2009/2010

Post by johnny99 »

Have had for about 6yrs.

Also saw them in a new V8 Lt the other day
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

I know DEC can burn anytime but no one else can burn during the restricted period... some brigades down south are still burning as the restriction period hasn't kicked in yet, maybe it wasn't Roleystone but a brigade further south... or maybe they were checking an old burn... for larger burns it's not unusual to have large logs etc smoulder undetected for months.
Dosouthwest

Post by Dosouthwest »

roleystone was burning off today is was a small block with 2x 2.4 and 2x LT because the fdi is only high most if not all brigades can across the state and till the 15th of dec.For the person who said DEC can burn when ever they wat they cant the hills and swan coastal have stop burning and down south will only burn for a few more week
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

DEC stop burning simply because of internal systems ie the FMC, SMC etc starts becoming an issue and the hazard reduction burns will start burning too hot as well as become harder to control, BFBs are restricted to the fire danger restrictions. Mundaring shire kicked in on December 1st.

For anyone to burn off on a 38 degree day with a forcast of up to 40 tomorrow is definatly very unusual, the FFDI would be higher than the broadcased Grassland fire danger index. (wouldn't have been much wind about though)

I don't know what they were burning, maybe it was small and only grass or something... I'm sure the people at Roleystone have it well organised.
macca

Post by macca »

What you will find is that each shire is different. I know for a fact that from the 1st Dec Armadale shire have stop the public from burning off but have given the local brigades like Bedfordale, Roleystone and Armadale 2nd an extension on there proscribe burning period. I'm not sure how long, but I'm guessing 3 weeks or so.
colin
150+ posts
150+ posts
Amateur callsign: VK6FITN
Scanners and Receivers: RTL2832U with RTL_Airband
Tait 8200

Post by colin »

Shire of Northam prohibited our brigades burning after about Nov 19th.

I guess the grass is greener on the other side of the scarp :-) However I'm glad I don't live in zone 2.