ARSON- Whats your opinion?

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

AVBFS
Scanners and Receivers: UBCT9

Re: ARSON- Whats your opinion?

Post by AVBFS »

BFBGAL wrote:Well lets face it the law is not stern enough and the costs are not high enough for anyone caught or commiting arson. Not sure what they get off on either. The law is not stern enough in most cases. [-X
lets face it the law is in favour of the robber baron(18th Century law Where all laws originate and still seam to go by thease days)
:mrgreen:
kwn

Post by kwn »

Great to see the Kwinana rangers had caught an alleged arsonist and had him sat up against their ute tonight waiting for the police. Thomas RD. Rangers had put the fire out and had Hope Valley come and check it out. Good Work Kwinana Rangers.....
Last edited by kwn on Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BuddahFRS
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BuddahFRS »

kwn wrote:Great to see the Kwinana rangers had caught an arsonist and had him sat up against their ute tonight waiting for the police. Thomas RD. Rangers had put the fire out and had Hope Valley come and check it out. Good Work Kwinana Rangers.....
Great work guys, 'another one bites the dust'
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :smt041 :A :A :A :A
----BUDDAH VFRS----
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

That would be an alleged arsonist.
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
kwn

Post by kwn »

the alleged arsonist is a 14y old from casuarina. the fire was at the spectacles between ankatel and thomas rd has been charged and remanded in custody till may 21 at perth children's court
chopper
Banned

Post by chopper »

I heard 6pr were calling for all Volunteer BFB members to be 30 years+ or similar because of the arsonists often being young volly BFB members. Thoughts?
Zebedee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Amateur callsign: VK6DB

Post by Zebedee »

chopper wrote:I heard 6pr were calling for all Volunteer BFB members to be 30 years+ or similar because of the arsonists often being young volly BFB members. Thoughts?
I think it's such a ridiculous notion that it's not even worthy of a detailed response... It's what I'd expect from 6PR though with some of the arrant nonsense that comes from their talkback callers.
Doug Bell (Zebedee) VK6DB
WARSUG Forum Administrator.

It is very dark.
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

Zebedee wrote:
chopper wrote:I heard 6pr were calling for all Volunteer BFB members to be 30 years+ or similar because of the arsonists often being young volly BFB members. Thoughts?
I think it's such a ridiculous notion that it's not even worthy of a detailed response... It's what I'd expect from 6PR though with some of the arrant nonsense that comes from their talkback callers.
kudos!
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
bohong

Post by bohong »

I do not agree with the age limitations but do believe that some form of psychological profiling and a better selection process must be met prior to being able to join the BFB/VFRS/VFS plus any other agencies that I may have missed.

There is a push in Vic at the moment, after Black saturday, for this to occur on a nation wide basis.

The career firfighters must meet minimum physochological standards so why not for the vollies? The only ones that should be concerned are the ones that have tendencies towards fire lighting.

Given it may not weed out all the bad eggs but at least it is a step in the right direction.
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

If BFS / VFRS etc. had a strong community participation / Volunteering rate, some of these selection and retention problems might be eliminated. With regards to "physicological profiling" I have experienced the negative aspects of that through international travel - due to my birth nationality, how I look and travel requiremnts and destination - I will alwsys get questioned and searched when I go through airports. I understand the betteer good ..however embaressing when travelling with my kids.

But, positive community participation may allow stronger recuitment numbers and mean members that do join these organisations for its core business (comunity participation and protection), not because it is their whole life.
bohong

Post by bohong »

Gohie,

I appreciate what you say BUT the way the volunteering movement is finding it increasingly hard to recruit and maintain numbers, just look at FESA community safety reports over the past few years and the amount of time they are devoting to trying new startegies to achieve this, I do not see community participation getting over this soon.

All career emergency services must complete, as part of their recruitment, a psychological assessment and interview to prove they have the right attributes and demonstrated past behaviours to carry out the job.

Whilst this can be flawed and can be manipulated it is the basis that ALL fire services in Australia use to select their candidates (as well as the physical and aptitude tests {these I am not suggesting we do}).

If it is good enough for them why not implement it for NEW members and it just becomes a part of the volunteer recruitment process. All embarrasments aside once it is in writing anyone that wants to join knows it is part of the process and is explained why it is.

It is a very MINOR percentage of volunteers who display fire lighting behaviour, however once the media gets hold of it is portrayed as the whole movement..........Prevention is better than a cure, this step just shows we are proactive and follow set standards for recruitment.
Gohie

Post by Gohie »

I agree with you bohong,

I do appreciate and agree with all that you have stated. I must apologise, but what I did want to also add was the same point as you in your first paragragh volunteering movement is finding it increasingly hard to recruit and maintain numbers. This one factor can often eliminate so many issues and problems when it comes to the calibre and attributes of the volunteer. However, numbers are still down, community vested interested is at a low and even when there is a major incident ie. fire, community requests for joining at some brigades are minimal. I take your point too about FESA's Comunity safety report and stratergies. I suppose that is the plight of any volunteer organisation.

Yes I also think interviews processes and stratergies can go along way to eliminating the "undesirable" elements of these organisations that undermine the great work or so many.

Thanks for your reply and your time