Methonal Fires

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

SmashedXR6T

Methonal Fires

Post by SmashedXR6T »

Hello all,
Does anyone of any training matieral or can point me in the right direction; in regards to methonal fires i.e. what signs to look out for, how to approach them, methods of extinguishment & know how it is fully extinguished, etc. especially in regards to speedway sprint cars. As I am trying to develop a brigade level training package to run through members as a refresher before our up-coming speedway circut that we attend.
WPXZBP

Re: Methanol Fires

Post by WPXZBP »

http://www.p2pays.org/ref/05/04432.htm
http://www.indycar.com/news/index.php?story_id=207

PM me your details and I'll get some other info you need from some of the speedway guys here in the Brigade.
BFB LT1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Methonal Fires

Post by BFB LT1 »

G'day SmashedXR6T

i don't have any info for you, just a request the info you gather could you please pass on to me as i am from a speedway back ground with my family and i am alsao a vollie my self. we have the nationals we are attending in easter and just in general the info would be handy since 90% of the time i pit crew for either of our two cars.

thanx BFB LT1
Crippled
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

im involved in Jet boat racing in baldivis and there are a few boats that run methanol. water extinguishes it, and as far as im aware, nothing else. as it burns 'invisible', some crews put an additive into the fuel which makes it burn with a green tinge. this helps identify a fire. this is about as much as i know. hope it helps.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Don't try standard AFFF foam (the blue drums) Alcohol makes AFFF separate. Hopefully one of the FRS guys here can shed a bit more light on this.
SmashedXR6T

Post by SmashedXR6T »

treeny wrote:some crews put an additive into the fuel which makes it burn with a green tinge. this helps identify a fire.
Treeny are you aware if this additive is a national or a racing standard in any form of motor sport that involves the use of methanol fuel?
gkoutlis

Post by gkoutlis »

SmashedXR6T wrote:
treeny wrote:some crews put an additive into the fuel which makes it burn with a green tinge. this helps identify a fire.
Treeny are you aware if this additive is a national or a racing standard in any form of motor sport that involves the use of methanol fuel?
I believe it's something like 90% Methanol and 10% Nitro ??? I may have these around the wrong way, but am pretty sure this is what one of the Speedway guys was telling us in the Medical Centre.

G
George
WARSUG Moderator
VFRS Member

"I am not one who was born in the possession of knowledge. I am one who is fond of antiquity, and earnest in seeking it there." — Confucius

Any views expressed in the above post are my own and do not necessarily depict or reflect the views or opinions of DFES/FRS or VBFB.
johnny99

Post by johnny99 »

My brother used to pit crew for a bloke who drove a speedway car. They used to keep a straw broom handy and if they suspected there was a fire they stuck that in first to see if it caught alight.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

SmashedXR6T, I do not know. I was told by the guy who runs a methanol boat that he pus an additive in it. basically we all got told that there were boats running methanol now and that water is the extingushant.

as you can buy pure methanol by the 200L drum, my guess would be that its not AustStnrd that it has to have the additive, people just choose to put it in to be safer, but please, if anyone reading this can shead some light, your more than welcome, as i wouldlike to know too.
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Here is a link to some US training material on Ethanol and Ethanol blended fuel fires. Its near enough to methanol to be of some use hopefully.

http://www.iafc.org/displaycommon.cfm?a ... =20#hazmat

I'm really hoping some of the FRS crew here can provide a link to some Australian material.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

First result in a google search "hazmat action guide methanol"

The HAG book is the main resource used by FRS for information on combatting HAZMAT incidents, whether they be spills or fire. If you search the HAG information I linked to for 'Fire' you will see Dry Agent, CO2 or Water Spray/Fog as agents.

I know from people who have worked on refuel at Rally that they basically stare at the filling point and above and watch for heat shimmer, as the fire itself is hard to see. They dress in Level 2 PPE with a HP reel at the ready, set appropriately and hit it quickly.

With speedway I'm assuming you're propbably more concerned about crashes and the like. In either regard, I'd suggest you try either FESA training wing, or one of the motorsport fire rescue groups in Aust.

http://www.qfrc.org.au/
http://www.hotfrog.com.au/Companies/Wom ... ire-Rescue
http://www.racesafe.com.au/racesafe/rac ... x?readform
http://www.vfrs.com.au/
wowser

Post by wowser »

SmashedXR6T wrote:Hello all,
Does anyone of any training matieral or can point me in the right direction; in regards to methonal fires i.e. what signs to look out for, how to approach them, methods of extinguishment & know how it is fully extinguished, etc. especially in regards to speedway sprint cars. As I am trying to develop a brigade level training package to run through members as a refresher before our up-coming speedway circut that we attend.
Guys, this is a little scary.

It sounds to me that what is required is a plan for emergency management at the speedway.

Smashed, I'm assuming that you are a vollie. Mate, if your brigade has committed to provide fire cover at a speedway event I strongly encourage you to talk to your DO about it. What is required here is a pre-plan that addresses the scenarios you are likely to have to encounter. Your DO should be able to assist with this. All responses need to be undertaken in accordance with your agency's SOPs rather than being guided by well intending members of this forum.

While I have the utmost respect for the skills and knowlege volunteers hold there is no substitute for covering your butt and doing things through your agency.

Hope it all goes well, and keep safe.

The Wowser
BFB LT1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BFB LT1 »

wowser

i think you will find smashed was asking if anyone had the actual training "material" for methonal fires not asking for peoples advice

just the way i read his post!!!!!!!!!
Crippled