General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Major structure fires (3rd alarm and above) 2008/2009

Post by dlcat1 »

Fastlane wrote:
auntys_eyes wrote:
Turbo wrote:2nd alarm structure fire - 80 Sayer St, Midland.
OMFG... I lived in that house up until 3 years ago.
Oh My Frilly Goanna ? ... tsk ;)
Over Midland way Firefighters are Great (I think)
BFB LT1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by BFB LT1 »

channle ten news said the house fire in midland was started by the owner falling asleep while having a smoke. hhmmmmmmmmmm
Crippled
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

At least it wasn't burnt toast..
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
chopper
Banned

Post by chopper »

Hi all,
I was wondering about pole-top fires. If a light tanker sprays water on it, wouldn't that become an electrical hazard or do they stand by and do nothing until Western Power turn off the power (even then do they take their word for it?).
Thanks
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

There are certain techniques i think. Where they break the spray out of the branch so theres no real flowing stream.
Western power would obviously need to isolate too. but every power line is treated as live
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

From memory (Don't trust my memory, I only fight plantation and bushfires now) the guidelines we were given for attacking anything up to 115kV train fires were a 30 degree or greater cone or fog at or above 700kpa and at a distance of at least 6 metres.

Basically by the time the water gets there it is a cloud of water vapour, rather like an intense rainstorm. Even if this doesn't put the fire out it will keep it from spreading until the utilities arrive and can ensure the circuit is isolated.
chopper
Banned

Post by chopper »

I wonder if they sprayed above the pole and let it "fall" down onto the pole, it probably would break apart and not allow a continuous connection to the line.
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

There's at least one sparky on the board and I think he'd agree with me in saying that you just leave it to burn till western power have said go for it! Electricity will arc through water droplets if there are a lot there, this can then arc right down to you as the fire fighter. If a pole burns and needs replacement, so be it. If you get electrocuted, then that's a mourning family (possibly with little or no income now), a mourning brigade and agency and an unnecessary distress on the crews attending.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

General rule of thumb with pole fires.. if you haven't been advised by WP that the power is off (and had them test it with their equipment), then leave it to burn and monitor the area. With their emergency response vehicles having L&S now, they sometimes even beat us to the jobs now (unless they are mega busy).
BFB LT1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by BFB LT1 »

G'day guys i am a sparky

Tyranus is rite even if you spray at a poll top fire with the lines still live it is possible to arc down the water droplets then straight to you. You all ways treat the lines as live until confirmation from W/P. Fastlanes words would be correct aswell in saying that if the poll is burnt oh well even if it is a poll top mounted transformer oh well it's got to be replaced now its burnt anyway, so just monitor the area for embers droping and starting a grass/scrub fire.

On the topic of scrub fires and power lines as a sparky and a vollie fire fighter i am always on look at big concern of mine, which is over growen trees growing through or very close to power lines. This is a great possiblity of an ignition piont to a fire. It dissapionts me to see how bad this is in my council area especialy some are so close to houses. Is anyone else council the same???
Crippled
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

Tyranus wrote:There's at least one sparky on the board and I think he'd agree with me in saying that you just leave it to burn till western power have said go for it! Electricity will arc through water droplets if there are a lot there, this can then arc right down to you as the fire fighter. If a pole burns and needs replacement, so be it. If you get electrocuted, then that's a mourning family (possibly with little or no income now), a mourning brigade and agency and an unnecessary distress on the crews attending.

This is the case in all pole top fires, if there is no confirmation from WP that the power is off you do not spray any water near the power lines at all. I personally would rather let a pole burn then risk not returning to my family after an incident. Any f/f will tell you this is the FESA SOP for a pole top fire.

Just my 2c worth LOL
Bunbury VFRS
CP11 & LT300
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

*re reads post to find the funny bit...*Well looks like we've settled that then, don't spray anywhere near power lines till western power says so.
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

Tyranus wrote:*re reads post to find the funny bit...*Well looks like we've settled that then, don't spray anywhere near power lines till western power says so.
The funny bit was me adding my 2c worth. I dont find anything funny about mixing water and power, have had too many tingles to joke about it.
Bunbury VFRS
CP11 & LT300
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Yep - a Brigade down on the South Coast had an issue with water and electricity too. They were told the power was off when it wasn't. Was a shocking situation (b-doom tish!) for the guys. We've been told down here unless a WP person is willing to touch the line assume it is live.
Sinbin

Post by Sinbin »

We had the same situation here the other week when we had that scrub fire started by faulty transformers. had pole top fires and just let them burn till we had the all clear from WP that power was off. the situation was that the 240V and 415V was off but the 60KV and above was still on, so couldnt do anything till ALL power was isolated.
Bunbury VFRS
CP11 & LT300