General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Bigfella78

Re: General fire discussions

Post by Bigfella78 »

We have been putting them near our hydrants for about 4 years.

In Queensland when I was there last year some-one had gone a little catseye crazy. The round-a-bouts have about 4-6 of them and the hydrant in the middle and there are more of the blue ones than white ones on some streets.
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

Re the LED appearance. There are a couple of designs out there. The traditional speckly looking catseyes seem to be better. There are some that I believe are cheaper, that have a line of reflectors that look a little like LEDs.

The other thing you'll notice in areas that started before they were adopted statewide, is green markers, rather than blue. I believe blue is the AS (Aust Standard), which is what Kalamunda FRS put down. BFS used the green around the same time. I think at that stage examples from states around Aust varied.
wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by wasaint »

Bigfella78 wrote:We have been putting them near our hydrants for about 4 years.

In Queensland when I was there last year some-one had gone a little catseye crazy. The round-a-bouts have about 4-6 of them and the hydrant in the middle and there are more of the blue ones than white ones on some streets.
Gosnells have been doing it for at least 6 years as i was there when we first trialed them and yes they work well
MBFB

Post by MBFB »

hats happening up in woodridge at the moment sounds like it is very big can someone tell me where the fire is up there?
Tyranus
Amateur callsign: VK6FWDH
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93XLT

Post by Tyranus »

There was a fire, not sure what type, not an awful lot of smoke though, but I cheered Midland on like a sporting game as they went through the lights at Great Northern/Morrison Road with the pump driver tapping the air horn :lol: so sad.

This Morning: Just watched Midland go in convoy under Firecall conitions with what appeared to be the 1.4 behind it. Went past the building heading further up Morrison Road towards Midland Centrepoint rather than the hills. Unfortunately someone felt the need to plant all these maple trees which get in the way of my viewing :twisted: anyone have a chainsaw?
Stirling SES
Team Leader (Stirling 53)
Vertical Rescue Team Member
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
WARSUG Demi-God I mean Mod
If stupidity got me into this mess, why can't it get me out.
xli

Post by xli »

Tyranus wrote:This Morning: Just watched Midland go in convoy under Firecall conitions with what appeared to be the 1.4 behind it. Went past the building heading further up Morrison Road towards Midland Centrepoint rather than the hills. Unfortunately someone felt the need to plant all these maple trees which get in the way of my viewing :twisted: anyone have a chainsaw?
Heard them as well, sounded like they went to Hazelmere again (they were there just Wednesday for a scrub fire (I believe) on Hazelmere Circus).

Out of curiosity, what would constitute an immediate two station turn out (i.e. without confirmation of a fire or life in danger etc)? A suspected gas leak?
rich

Post by rich »

xli wrote:Out of curiosity, what would constitute an immediate two station turn out (i.e. without confirmation of a fire or life in danger etc)? A suspected gas leak?
They always have a back up station turn out as well and the 1st arriving station will stand them down if they aren't required.

Admin edit: fixed quoting
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Anything Zone 2 will get 2 stations and helicopters (during the day).
But as rich said most jobs will be automatically 2 stations with the first arriving appliances calling the arrival code and alarm which then dictates whether the other trucks keep coming or get to go back. Though sometimes they arrive 30 seconds behind the first appliance.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
xli

Post by xli »

Thanks for that rich and Tyranus, it makes much more sense now. It also explains why I tend to see/hear Midland and Bassendean together alot.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

Tyranus wrote:Anything Zone 2 will get 2 stations and helicopters (during the day).
But as rich said most jobs will be automatically 2 stations with the first arriving appliances calling the arrival code and alarm which then dictates whether the other trucks keep coming or get to go back. Though sometimes they arrive 30 seconds behind the first appliance.
most jobs? MVA's, alarm calls and structure fires, yes... probably Hazmat too. Scrub Fires (unless zone 2) are usually a single station turnout.
kylep
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by kylep »

As Fastlane stated, two pump/station turnouts automatically on call are for Structure, Rescue, DBA (not private alarms unless special). HAZMAT depends alot on what it is, minor basic spills - Petrol etc will be single pump. Of course there are all the special arrangments for Bush/Scrub - Zone 2, high fire danger days etc. The basic idea is that if there is a high risk or known life involvement, then 2 pump turnout.

Various pre-plans, including Zone 2 and other Bush/Scrub arrangements have multiple resource response on call.
Confirmed fire in high-rises, fires in Kings Park, aircraft incidents etc all have significant initial responses.
Tyranus

Post by Tyranus »

Tyranus wrote:This Morning: Just watched Midland go in convoy under Firecall conitions with what appeared to be the 1.4 behind it. Went past the building heading further up Morrison Road towards Midland Centrepoint rather than the hills. Unfortunately someone felt the need to plant all these maple trees which get in the way of my viewing :twisted: anyone have a chainsaw?
Just saw them turning out again, it was a second light tanker. Certainly didn't look big enough to be the 1.4.
Stirling SES
K9 7 Support

VK6FWDH
ex-Darlington FB
ace of spades

Post by ace of spades »

On days of very high or extreme fire danger they locate an extra light tanker and strategic stations around the metro area and man them with spare ff's from town or there own station spares. I'd say with todays temp and the high forecast winds that is why midland has a spare LT
Bigfella78

Post by Bigfella78 »

How many spare fire fighters do Fesa keep on hand?
I mean,I know they have guys ready to replace others that call in sick or have training but on a normal day do they have extra's sitting in perth station waiting to be sent out to other stations?
A52

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not following you"
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

ace of spades wrote:On days of very high or extreme fire danger they locate an extra light tanker and strategic stations around the metro area and man them with spare ff's from town or there own station spares. I'd say with todays temp and the high forecast winds that is why midland has a spare LT
I've never heard of spare light tankers going to career stations, rather the extra light tankers being based and crewed at Perth station. Some of the outlying VFRS stations get an extra during summer..