General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

Toottoot
Banned

Re: General fire discussions

Post by Toottoot »

Fastlane wrote:
Toottoot wrote:"and by the very virtue of its nature, alternating, the AC voltage fluctuates normally"
'alternating' is in relation to the direction of current flow, has nothing to do with the voltage? <-- call that high school teachings (thankyou robbage)

btw, it's not up to the attending crew to determine what a fault is. It's either a valid alarm (even if its caused by water ingress) or a panel fault. I'm talking generally, about what I've heard in the past 8 years. Crews get turned out to alarm calls, not to 'panel fault' indications or panels offline.
Yes - it is the voltage that is generated which is alternating between positive and negative and in the case of mains electricity is a sinusoid wave. The potential difference (voltage) between two points in a circuit force a current to flow which is dependent on factors such as the resistance (or impedance), inductance or capacitance of the circuit (load) and the potential difference between the active and the neutral. Generally, the higher the potential difference the greater the current that will flow. The current can either lead, lag or be in phase with potential difference.

In summary, the current of an AC (alternating current) circuit is dependent of the value of the alternating voltage that is supplied.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

Next time we get heavy rain we can compare it to times when we get lightning. In the past I have been able to track lightning storms through the metro area simply by the DBA's that have been activated, where as when there has simply been heavy rain with no lightning I havent notice an increase in the DBA's or a patern coinciding to the path of a storm.
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

Quick question:

When a crew turns out a DBA it only seems to be for example perth 1st perth 2nd but if its a 000 call (structure fire) they send more. Just wondering any reason behind it ?

Reason i ask 000 call received for structure fire 7th floor Tower B in bentley im assuming its one off the homeswest buildings.

They sent kensignton, welshpool, canningvale,Perth CLP, straight up.
A seven story building is classified as a high rise. When there is a 000 call to a structual fire or a confirmed fire via DBA in a high rise it becomes a 5th alarm with CLP until advised otherwise by arriving crews. I believe it was Kensington, Canningvale, Welshpool 1st and 2nd, Perth 2nd and Perth CLP that were mobilised but no fire was found.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

Thanks for that info.

Im guessing all DBA turnouts are under firecall conditions ?
RIP
Smithy
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Smithy »

4353 wrote:Thanks for that info.

Im guessing all DBA turnouts are under firecall conditions ?
the first appliance mobile is always firecall unless the premises calls sayings its a false alarm then they would proceed normal rd. the 2nd appliance would be normal rd and if false alarm would stand down altogether and return to station. This being Perth that is.
realfirie
Banned

Post by realfirie »

[quoteThis being Perth that is.][/quote]

This being the procedure for all FESA brigades W.A wide
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

Can anyone give me a sitrep on "that" fire?
The Pickering Brook fire that burnt in 2005(I think).

Thanks, just wondering.
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
WPXZBP

Post by WPXZBP »

Mug wrote:Can anyone give me a sitrep on "that" fire?

Thanks, just wondering.
Fire is extinguished, crews have made up and returned to station.
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

WPXZBP wrote:
Mug wrote:Can anyone give me a sitrep on "that" fire?

Thanks, just wondering.
Fire is extinguished, crews have made up and returned to station.
:?

I mean appliances in attendance alarm classification.
Sorry could have worded it better.
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

SPOTTED on the Inside Cover of The West Australian on Tuesday Feb 3.

There is a firefighter at Perth station who is apparently copping some stick for putting out a fire.
This was not any old fire but the burning electrics of an 18 year old fire truck that the unfortunate firey and three of his colleagues rode on to Mount Lawley's Mercy Hospital on Friday.
While two of the crew were seeing if there was a fire inside the private hospital, our man and a colleague waited in the truck.
The alarm from the hospital proved to be false. But the waiting fireys spotted smoke remarkably close close, prompting our hero to grab his dry chemical fire extinguisher and do what he was trained to do.
The only problem is this type of Scania truck is not very popular with many fireys, not only because of it being old enough to vote but also because of it lack of air-conditioning. Out on remote jobs on hot days, the trucks are sometime the only place they can cool down during breaks.
United Firefighters Union boss David Bowers said the truck was four years overdue for replacement and that full time fireys were peeved that the volunteer hose wielders were given air-conditioned replacement trucks first.
Fire and Emergency Services flack Mark Thompson said the truck fire appears to have been caused by a short circuit in the flashing lights system.
He said the truck was due to be replaced in a fortnight and did not know if it would go back into service or the extent of the damage. "I think they are going though it now with a fine-toothed comb," he said.

Now this morning on my was to TAFE I spotted a Scania MP on Roe Highway, but instead of a reflective station name it had a reflective "OUT OF SERVICE". I wonder if they have repaired the truck at O'Connor and are sending it out to FTC or to a VFRS????
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

I had the electrics behind the drivers seat in a light tanker catch alight once at a fire in Darlington. Nothing to do with whether it has aircon or not.
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by dlcat1 »

Knew of a truck that somehow sucked an ember storm in and got a fire in the ventilation system filter. That was interesting.
treeny
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by treeny »

i think the focus of the report was on the aging fleet of fire trucks, rather than wot new trucks hav that old trucks dont air con or not. wot caused the fire in the LT? short circuit?
MELVILLE 80
The worst in nature brings out the best in us! STATE EMERGENCY SERVICE WE SERVE
dlcat1
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2008/2009

Post by dlcat1 »

bomber wrote:
BFB LT1 wrote:3rd alarm bush fire in secret habour old mandurah x stake hill
fire
Rockingham 2nd and 3rd in attendance as well
Any updates on road closures?
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Re: Significant bush/scrub fires 2008/2009

Post by Fastlane »

Try http://standards.mainroads.wa.gov.au/NR ... ions.asp?7

Looks like it might've started with a vehicle fire?