General fire discussions

WA Department of Fire and Emergency Services (6AR and 6IP) (Including the Fire Services, SES & VMRS) and Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions

Moderator: bogged

wasaint
150+ posts
150+ posts

Re: General fire discussions

Post by wasaint »

BFB LT1 wrote:What about metro?
at least every 12mnths usualy done pre fire season helps make crews aware of the location of hydrants in there area and this way any hydrants that requier the water corp to fix it can be done before summer
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by 4353 »

Quick question:

When a crew turns out a DBA it only seems to be for example perth 1st perth 2nd but if its a 000 call (structure fire) they send more. Just wondering any reason behind it ?

Reason i ask 000 call received for structure fire 7th floor Tower B in bentley im assuming its one off the homeswest buildings.

They sent kensignton, welshpool, canningvale,Perth CLP, straight up.
RIP
yorky

Post by yorky »

General DBA's often aren't valid, and unless the place calls and confirms a fire there is no need to send anything more.

If there is a fire like the 7th floor one chances are there would be multiple calls to confirm, and that way they can gauge how many units to send ie lots ;)
"VKI, NJ050 will you be attending the job?"
"Negative VKI, my desk is bolted to the floor".
WARSUG General Scanning Moderator
Mug
150+ posts
150+ posts
Scanners and Receivers: UBC93xlt

Post by Mug »

...That was funny...

Bassendean turned out to a DBA at Ascot quays apartments. 44 as usual.

But on the turnout message, the SO said "6ar Bassendean turning out DBA Ascot "kways" apartments." #-o

6ar's response was a bit more correct, but still wrong #-o .

Sometime later when belmont was turned out instead it became " kays".
¡¡¡ʎɐq-ǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq oʇ ƃuıoƃ ɯı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Mug wrote:...That was funny...

Bassendean turned out to a DBA at Ascot quays apartments. 44 as usual.

But on the turnout message, the SO said "6ar Bassendean turning out DBA Ascot "kways" apartments." #-o

6ar's response was a bit more correct, but still wrong #-o .

Sometime later when belmont was turned out instead it became " kays".
I guess you had to be there.
written_ficton
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by written_ficton »

Approx 1am this morning Daglish 1st reported to an alarm at UWA...

False alarm
I've closed the door!
Leigh
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by Leigh »

Have heard about 15 DBAs while listening to the scanner today, i think the closest one to a fire was burnt toast.
150+ posts
150+ posts

Post by newbie »

the lightning tends to set them off
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster
Amateur callsign: VK6FLMZ

Post by Fastlane »

newbie wrote:the lightning tends to set them off
Not true. It's usually water getting into the detectors when we have a big storm.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Fastlane wrote:
newbie wrote:the lightning tends to set them off
Not true. It's usually water getting into the detectors when we have a big storm.
Sorry, it is true. Most of the time it is voltage fluctuations that cause erroneous signals but large fluctuations cause sudden death of the sensors. Water will more likely cause sudden death of the detectors than erroneous signals.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Would it be fair to say that water incursion and lightning activity both contribute to equipment failure?
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Have a listen when we next have a big storm. You'll hear "water in the detector head" quite alot. I'm doubtful that a critical system such as a fire control panel would fall prey to fluctuating AC voltage (and in that case, they all have DC battery backup) that results in erroneous zone activations. If you've ever taken a look at the voltage on a power point, you'll see it fluctuates quite a bit all the time.
Toottoot
Banned

Post by Toottoot »

Fastlane wrote:Have a listen when we next have a big storm. You'll hear "water in the detector head" quite alot. I'm doubtful that a critical system such as a fire control panel would fall prey to fluctuating AC voltage (and in that case, they all have DC battery backup) that results in erroneous zone activations. If you've ever taken a look at the voltage on a power point, you'll see it fluctuates quite a bit all the time.
I have heard 'no fault found - left in the hands of the owner' more than 'water in the detector head'. All manner of critical systems fall victim to fluctuating AC voltage and these surge voltages can break over making it through DC regulators at times. I will admit a good filter does help, but lightning is an unpredictable beast.

I have on many occasions taken a look at the voltage at a power point as well as voltages at switchboards, power filters, voltage regulators/surge suppressors, lighting points, motors, resistive loads and the like and by the very virtue of its nature, alternating, the AC voltage fluctuates normally. It does however fluctuate to values outside the safe parameters during lightning storms or other fault events.
Fastlane
WARSUG top poster
WARSUG top poster

Post by Fastlane »

Toottoot wrote:"and by the very virtue of its nature, alternating, the AC voltage fluctuates normally"
'alternating' is in relation to the direction of current flow, has nothing to do with the voltage? <-- call that high school teachings (thankyou robbage)

btw, it's not up to the attending crew to determine what a fault is. It's either a valid alarm (even if its caused by water ingress) or a panel fault. I'm talking generally, about what I've heard in the past 8 years. Crews get turned out to alarm calls, not to 'panel fault' indications or panels offline.
Last edited by Fastlane on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
robbage
Amateur callsign: VK6UFO_VK6RN
Scanners and Receivers:  
Scanners/receivers
Diamond Welz WS1000 wideband handheld
Radioshack Pro 28 handheld
Uniden UBC72XLT handheld
Uniden UBC73XLT handheld
Uniden UBC330CRS desktop

Two-way
Yaesu VX-3R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wideband RX handheld
Yaesu FT-1802M 2m Ham TRX mobile x 2
Yaesu FT-7800R 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-208H 2m/70cm Ham TRX and wide band RX mobile
Icom IC-706MKIIG all-band all-mode Ham TRX mobile
Icom IC-V85 2m VHF Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-UVD1P VHF/UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-679P VHF wideband Ham TRX handheld
Wouxun KG-713 UHF wideband Ham TRX handheld

Post by robbage »

Fastlane wrote:Have a listen when we next have a big storm. You'll hear "water in the detector head" quite alot. I'm doubtful that a critical system such as a fire control panel would fall prey to fluctuating AC voltage (and in that case, they all have DC battery backup) that results in erroneous zone activations. If you've ever taken a look at the voltage on a power point, you'll see it fluctuates quite a bit all the time.
The company I work for contract to defence including all the panels and boards. There have been quite a few cases of lightning damage. We are required to provide reasonable proof that it is lightning, including weather reports etc. You can never have guaranteed protection from lightning. A few years ago at my facility, we lost several hundred thousand dollars in equipment (nothing to do with fire) due to lightning. Even with 18 lightning arrestors, mains surge diverters, data line protection, several hundred metres of underground lightning system and the main roof protected, we still get affected by lightning. The computer running the equipment usually freezes when there's a nearby strike.

Also, AC current alternates because the voltage alternates :)
Rob
OF78WD
 Amateur moderator
Arguing with a fool proves there are two